Sign in to follow this  
Novice-Flyer

IL-2 Great Battles Demo - Status

https://il2sturmovik.com/news/360/announcing-battle-bodenplatte-flying-circus-tank-c/

In 2017 when Bodenplatte, TC and FC1 were announced, the devs also mentioned plans to release a free LIMITED Demo for IL-2 GBs; similar to what they did with Rise of Flight. There hasn't been any news about it since, and I'm wondering if it's still going to be a thing. Either way it doesn't really concern me (probably the same with everyone else) as I've bought the game already.

If a demo is ever released, I think it should include the IL-2 1942 mod and/or the Bf109G-2 with limited features like a small area on the Stalingrad or Lapino map to fly over and. Likely NOT over the Volga River or Stalingrad City, probably a few enemy planes, one week Maximum trial, etc.

I'm sure that a Demo for IL-2 GBs is a good decision by the devs.

See you in the skies

Novice-Flyer

Edited by Novice-Flyer
  • Upvote 1

After this many years, I'd think a demo would be a waste of time. Especially now with a $12.49 sale going on for the older releases of the series.

• Upvote 4

Jason mentioned later on that there were some drawbacks to having a demo and implied there would be no demo. I'm a bit rusty on the details.

A demo why not if it brings new players to this fantastic game! But with witch content?! One or two planes of the original battle of Stalingrad and a little map of the same battle game?! Is this enough?!  Or is this not, like said above, not to late? And do not forget that the game in itself is bigger than the original IL2 game in 2001... not to big for a demo?!:salute:

I think a demo like RoF might be useful - and attracting new players is always a good thing - I never understood why so few modern games use demos...

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Eisenfaustus said:

I think a demo like RoF might be useful - and attracting new players is always a good thing - I never understood why so few modern games use demos...

As long as it doesn't seem like it's "Free to play" with "microtransactions" I'm all in for it.

The word DEMO should be stamped all over the place with no way of in-game purchases (like, you need to got to steam or the  IL2 website to buy stuff) I wouldn't want the microtransaction backlash on this game.

I read (somewhere) game studios research showed demos actually harmed sales overall, in many cases, hence the lack of effort in producing them nowadays 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Rise of Flight is the demo... same developer, earlier version of the game engine, three free flyables...

• Upvote 1

I think a bit of good Demo stuff of THIS game would help in more sales.  Of course a Demo of a trash game will prevent people from buying it.

But, IL-2 BoX is a Gem and that would be great to show it as a Demo to more players.

• Like 1

Free demo definitely can appeal more new players, as far as I see in DCS and BOS group, the new player tend think BOS is more expensive than DCS, though BOS is of course much cheaper than DCS. However, the free demo make them feel they can play fly sim free, although most of them will buy bunch of DCS models. Why player tend to buy DCS mods even it is much expensive? Because they have played on demo and start learn and like fly sim and that lead to purchase. On the contrary, BOS has caused a lot of question from potential players cos they didnt know it.

One of the questions I'm frequently confronted with by potential buyers is: "Can my rig handle it well?"

While you can answer the first five words of the question by comparing the specs of the PC in question with the official recommended minimum specs (at least to some extent), the full six word question is impossible to answer without simply trying.

Trying = Demo = Potentially more sales.

I know it's a simplification, but I like it since it cuts it well (for me that is).

And: No, Rise of Flight is not the Demo required to give a relevant answer to this question.

:drinks:

Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror
typo
  • Upvote 2

Maybe it's time to let 1 or 2 bos planes become free planes, before they do this,   
they must make Official training campaigns for newbie, include keybind setting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Oyster_KAI said:

Maybe it's time to let 1 or 2 bos planes become free planes, before they do this,   

Yes please!!

I still dont know what controls actually move my head or turret after more than 1200 hours in the game, this is actually terrible for Tank Crew.

I got into R.O.F with a demo from I think a magazine and bought everything for it after that, just a thought.:drinks:

Never played it much but glad I bought into it all the same, maybe it all helped bring us to where we are now.;)

If memory serves it was originally on Steam when released, something I never took to, by the time I got the R.O.F. demo the set up was as is now, everything from the company, they had dumped the need for Steam for it.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug

On 10/21/2019 at 10:54 AM, Eisenfaustus said:

I think a demo like RoF might be useful

True. Because you have some people who buy BoS on Steam at the price of $80 USD ($104 CDN) and then post a negative review saying that it's very expensive, 10 planes for $80?, etc., and then a train of negative reviews/no buyers of this great game happens. Having a Demo would give a potential buyer a free, but SHORT experience on what IL-2 GBs is like with VR, 4K skins, Great Graphics, etc.

With Rise of Flight there are not very bright people (apologies for language) who will download the Demo and then play it a few times, logging under one, two, five hours, and then come back with a negative review saying " You have to buy every single DLC to have fun. This doesn't even run, etc." Which is mainly false for the former comment.

BTW I believe Steam should change their policy that you must have played a game for at least 5 hours before posting a review instead of 15 minutes I think.

Overall, a Demo can be positive or negative to a game, but for IL-2 Great Battles, I think having a Demo will be very useful if it ever happens.

On 10/22/2019 at 10:29 PM, Oyster_KAI said:

they must make Official training campaigns for newbie

That would also be very helpful for the game itself and I strongly feel that should happen. There are Training sessions in IL-2 1946, Birds of Steel and I somewhat Cliffs of Dover as well.

• Upvote 2

On 10/23/2019 at 1:29 AM, Oyster_KAI said:

I was just thinking about this as I was flying bomber missions for the career campaign in he-111-16...

it was a 3 hour flight.... holy fak!     Keeping formation, engine management, and aircraft recognition is intense, even for a simvet as myself...🥴

we have missions menu present in game.  It would be very awesome to have training available.

not with all the fancy hoops to fly through but an updated video briefing like in Rise of Flight would be very fun ... and basic instruction on the hud to get started...

even so, maybe an option for new pilots starting the career mode.  Our character creation gives us a lifelong background story of where our pilot came from but it isn’t anything more then that. 

I think the initial where the the pilot grew up is cool, then we should have a training to determine skill of player, then they have the option to choose piloting background...

and deciding where to start out when choosing what squadron, whew, I know nothing but the plane and how far I want to fly from to objective...

at least maybe with a training to start, based on how well you do, it could grade and select recommend or qualified squadrons for you to choose from...

Aaaaaaand of course for those of us who know where our flying comes from we could jumpstart past the training and get into the thick of it... :) 

Like in CLoD we had the tiger moth, we have our very own Russian biplane available.  Only unlocked for the training of course..    then followed by advanced aircraft.. only unlocked in training, or unless the player has the provided plane pack to use for campaign...

——-break——

as for so called ‘demo’

i Like the free to play option presenting two planes, an Lagg and a 109e perhaps?

just as the original alpha started out... (man those days were fun eh!?)

from rise of flights free option, I was able to get friends of mine to try it out at least, even if they didn’t like flying, but it was a good way for them to test their rig...

wow long post....

ok yell all at me.. 🤪

Hey all,

This video explains why fewer game developers bother to release a demo: 

In short it takes away dev time, and generally has few advantages. There are only a couple scenarios which gain more sales from the demo. I think the way the devs have been handling marketing up to now is pretty good, i bought BoS on sale for like $12 a few months ago when it popped up in the steam store. At the $12 price point simply knowing this was a successor to the old IL-2 1946 was enough for me to buy it.  This was enough of a taste to make me want to buy more parts of the game. 

If IL-2 BoX does get a demo, i think it will be an uphill battle unless that demo has a *very* good tutorial.

• Upvote 1

Well the video... it's 5/10 at best.

2/3rd of the video just explain to us that a bad or mediocre Demo kills sales.

That's a no-brainer.

I don't think we should worry about the Devs not being able to kick out a reasonably good Demo. They did so with ROF so it's not like they don't know what to do and how to do it.

IL-2 Great Battles also doesn't fall into the 10/10 "must play" category.

And that's not even the Devs fault.

The game might be 10/10 (I think it's close, but rather 9/10), but we have to face the fact that CFS games are a niche market.

As such, the target audience is small enough to make any effort to enlargen it turn into bigger sales numbers, even if the Demo is "only" on the same level like the game is.

Of course it takes away Developer time.

That's something we, as the customers, cannot judge correctly.

James will have to sharpen a pencil and calculate it all the way through.

:drinks:

Mike

I'm kind of torn, on the one hand I downloaded the F2P Rise of flight from steam years ago, and ended up buying everything, but I question what the cost is to the dev studio.
I mean I assume there is a charge for bandwidth, at least with the stand alone client. Not sure how things work with the likes of Steam.

IIRCC with RoF the F2P version gave you an air frame for each side, which had a limited time period available within the career mode, and I think you could also fly these two air frames online. 

I wonder though how many  people interested enough in flight sim's to own a stick / throttle, and possibly peddles, and an interest in ww2 aviation, could still be sat on the fence thinking should I or shouldn't I when it comes to IL2 ?

I mean I know it's possible to play IL2 with a mouse and keyboard, but I don't know anyone who has tried this, or tested recent updates with this style of game play in mind, so my assumption is that people who are interested in IL2, are interested in the sim aspect, rather than the mouse / kb experience ?

TLDR: If there is little to no cost to dev studio providing limited demo, in terms of bandwidth then I do not see a downside.

i dont think a tutorial is needed tbh :)

weve all learned to fly wityhout!

in an ideal world id like it to be MP only with 2 aircraft that have skins and upgrades limited. perhaps the simpliffied tanks too?

but obviously, thats a wish not a demand.

I see pros and cons in having it, but just don"t let those guys play in MP. We don't need careless peiple there. SP is fine for testing game and rig.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

A free Sturmovik would be fine.  A free 109 for all comers would be a fiasco for MP though.

A JU87 and a lagg3 I'd say

11 hours ago, J2_Bidu said:

I see pros and cons in having it, but just don"t let those guys play in MP. We don't need careless peiple there. SP is fine for testing game and rig.

we already have enough careless people!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

A free Sturmovik would be fine.  A free 109 for all comers would be a fiasco for MP though.

Yep

How about a Stuka and an IL-2? Attacker role on both sides, and the airplane that gave name to the series. May not be the best planes to hook a player though...

On 10/30/2019 at 3:33 PM, Kataphrakt said:

we already have enough careless people!

They could hard-code a filter so the demo can only connect to the WoL server...