I'm wondering how the same principle applied to ASW would feel. 90 fps at the center, interpolated 45 at the peripheral... Not sure if it's feasible though.

LCD/OLED panels run at a fixed frequency. In some VR headset you can switch to different frequencies (80Hz, 90Hz, etc), but it the same frequency for the whole panel.

What you suggest here is to, for example, if the panel is set to 90Hz, then try to produce 90fps real rendered for the center (or to the area where you look if you have eyetracking)  but relax the rate to 45fps real rendered (the other 45 interpolated or not) to the peripheria. So it like restricting ASW techniques only to the peripheria.

I am not aware of anyone trying this.

You can suggest this idea to the VR makers. Maybe they have already experimented with it or not.

Not sure if this needs better support at Il2's end or more SteamVR's end.  I notice that Oculus native VR titles already are using Foreated Rendering.

I have had a hit and miss experience with Fixed Foreated Rendering with Il2.  At lower target resolutions it can be used successfully but it looks like garbage.  At higher render resolutions where it would really benefit Il2 - it is not stable but - when it works (target resolutions of 5k x 5k per eye or above) it looks great and makes a decent impact on performance especially at Large FOV on a Pimax headset.

Anyway - this is the way forward for VR rendering especially as headsets become higher in native resolution and wider in FOV.  It will stop people dreaming of a RTX 5080Ti- Super Duper card from Nvidia and instead allow for them to be used on todays hardware.  That and better utilisation of SMT/SMP and higher CPU core counts.👍