Jason_Williams

Discussion about Yak-9, Yak-9T and Hurricane Collector Planes Announcement

I like that they are still adding new additions for the older theaters, but i can't be the only one that is a bit disappointed about the fact that all three are allied planes. I'm going to buy them nonetheless, but there are still quite some axis planes for BOM/BOS/BOK that would like to see. Like the Ju-87b2, Bf-110F2, Ju-88C6, Hs-123, Fw-189 etc. 

Grt M

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, onlyforbrian said:

There were no yaks in the battle of Bodenplatte either, but we could do "What if" flights if we wanted, so what's your point?

My point is if the devs are going to spend time developing a/c and modules, I'd prefer they follow something akin to history and not waste time designing fantasy games better off on another game which will not be named.

The Hurricane opens up even more possibilities for early war maps, such as North Africa, battle for France, the battle for Belgium. 
All we need is a Blenheim, or a wellington and the battle for France or  battle of Britain is very flushed out!

There is also a few great reference pieces, and the flying Blenheim at Duxford. 

Very excited to try both planes and what the future holds for the Il-2 great battles series! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cardboard_killer said:

My point is if the devs are going to spend time developing a/c and modules, I'd prefer they follow something akin to history and not waste time designing fantasy games better off on another game which will not be named.

So I take it you don't want Corsairs.... alrightee then...lol

1 hour ago, I./ZG1_Dutchvdm said:

I like that they are still adding new additions for the older theaters, but i can't be the only one that is a bit disappointed about the fact that all three are allied planes. I'm going to buy them nonetheless, but there are still quite some axis planes for BOM/BOS/BOK that would like to see. Like the Ju-87b2, Bf-110F2, Ju-88C6, Hs-123, Fw-189 etc. 

Grt M

At the risk of waking the wrath of the "not another 109" group, an E4 and eight gun Spit would be a helluva (an) addition considering the addition of a Hurricane. I'm sure we could find a suitable map to build some scenarios from that.............somehow. :) :):) 

On 10/20/2019 at 2:55 AM, DD_fruitbat said:

Midway would be a terrible next expansion, a battle that is so short has no depth to be an expansion. I cannot fathom requesting it as the next title. 

Far better to do guadalcanal, and coral sea (simple map, no land required) bolted on for longevity.

Anyway, i digress,  new planes are good....

Give the Dev's some credit. There is no way the expansion would be Midway alone and this has been discussed to death. Midway is chosen as the title for name recognition only. It will be some combination of early Pacific operations. The original plan was for two or three expansions to cover the war in the east. I'm sure that has been refinded since then. Outside of some early hiccups/teething there have been no significant (minor, sure/significant, no) missteps from this team in years.

While there are others, the singular MAJOR hurdle holding up BoMI is obtaining and interpreting original documentation on Japanese aircraft. There are numerous threads and Dev quotes on this. When that is cleared we will be full steam ahead.....................

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I guess I made an U-turn without noticing it.

The Hurricane was always my favourite, I love rugged workhorse warplanes and there is something in Hurri cockpit that just makes you feel at home (only other plane to have that effect on me is DFW C.V) . I've been waiting for BoS Hurricane since 2014.  But...

... having flown Career Yaks, 109s, P-39 and Mig extensively while waiting for FC, then trying Spit Mark.V,  I am firmly with Soviet pilots now.  A battery of guns firing outside prop disc is as far from being my thing as possible. So, now that the Hurri is finally coming (no WW2 sim is complete without one!), the plane I can't wait to fly is Yak-9 :D.

On 10/20/2019 at 11:55 AM, DD_fruitbat said:

New planes are great, will buy them all.

New midway film will be infinitely worse than the existing midway film.

Midway would be a terrible next expansion, a battle that is so short has no depth to be an expansion. I cannot fathom requesting it as the next title. 

Far better to do guadalcanal, and coral sea (simple map, no land required) bolted on for longevity.

Anyway, i digress,  new planes are good....

Well due to the small size of Midway it would probably be pretty simple to make so they could probably make a number of island maps.

In addition to Midway such as, Wake island, the gilbert islands,Marshall Islands and other similar islands etc which would give added depth to a campaign.

On the other hand while making such maps would be very quick and easy as the islands are very small and the maps would be 99+% water and as such would be quick and simple to make

we also need to consider the amount of work the team would have to spend on adding all of the ships needed and the carrier operations functinality etc.

But again even if they just provided a Midway map and a open sea map (They could name it Coral sea)

a large number of scenarios & battles could be simulated such as the battle of the Coral sea ,Battle of the Eastern solomons and Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands in addition to the battle of Midway itself (all major 4 carrier battles of 1942)

But if they added some smaller islands such as the previously mentioned etc then we would be able to simulate a majority of the carrier battles / raids occuring during 1942 giving significant depth as most of the carriers saw action in several of these and there would also be plenty of missions outside of the large carrier clashes

(such as intercepting scout aircraft or sinking lone ships etc)so campaigns could span from late 1941-early 1942 all the way to late 1942

Guadalcanal might also work but its a much larger map (large island more land) thus requires much more work and

there is also the fact that most Japanese aircraft during guadalcanal did not fly from carriers but rather flew from land based airfields such as at Rabaul which are 1000km away from Guadalcanal with several large islands inbetween them so it would be impossible for them to make a map that spans all the way to Rabaul.

So there would most likely be no Japanese land bases on the map.

So either it would have to be semi-historical with alot more Japanese Carrier activity during the battle or else all of the Japanse aircraft would have to be air-started/Landed etc

which might work fine for the US side of a campaign but would work less for the Japanese side.

Then we also have the fact that guadalcanal needs a larger planeset as it saw the presence of both US and Japanse airforce aircraft (Ki-43 and P400 etc)

so you cant fit all aircraft needed inside the normal setup of 4 standard and 1 collectors aircraft per side.

29 minutes ago, onlyforbrian said:

They will do corsairs when they get to 1943-1944 battles...

Since they are extremely unlikely to just do one Pacific expansion. (if they are able to make any)

If there is one Pacific Expansion there will most liklely be several.

It would not be logical to add the corsair to a Midway expansion just like it would not make scense to have added the P-51 for the Battle of Moscow expanion.

And with the small number of planes included in each expansion they should not be wasted on aircraft that dont fit the scenario / timeframe.

Edited by mattebubben

1 hour ago, onlyforbrian said:

You know, it's okay to admit you have not clue about the Battle of the Philippine Sea aside from the fact that many Japanese planes were shot down during it. There were more Corsairs operating on the BoBP map area  than there would be on a Battle of the Philippine Sea map area.

Could we stop with turning every thread into a Pacific speculation thread?

• Upvote 8

23 minutes ago, Danziger said:

Could we stop with turning every thread into a Pacific speculation thread?

It's like a game of telephone, once we get past page five, or so, the threads can go pretty much anywhere.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

It's like a game of telephone

How does that go, something like this?....

Hello operator I'd like to make a call to the aerodrome at Kalach

"I'm putting you through now......your connected"

"Hello Henderson Field here"

:)

Edited by Pict
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, Pict said:

How does that go, something like this?....

Hello operator I'd like to make a call to the aerodrome at Kalach

"I'm putting you through now......your connected"

"Hello Henderson Field here"

:)

After ten minutes of time-stretching telephone tag, you're speaking to a French dude in 1940 who's airfield just got over run.

3 hours ago, Wingleader425 said:

The Hurricane opens up even more possibilities for early war maps, such as North Africa, battle for France, the battle for Belgium. 
All we need is a Blenheim, or a wellington and the battle for France or  battle of Britain is very flushed out!

There is also a few great reference pieces, and the flying Blenheim at Duxford. 

Very excited to try both planes and what the future holds for the Il-2 great battles series! 

This Hurricane is a Mk II, that was neither used during Batting of France nor Battle of Britain. It would be appropriate for a 1941 "leaning forward" campaign though. 

Yeah, no.  I love the Hurricane but I can pick it up on sale sometime after the Pacific thing is sorted out.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 5:20 PM, danielprates said:

I expect this new Midway movie to be  bad as the last pearl harbor movie.

I just made the mistake of watching the trailer on youtube. Now I've seen more of this movie than I can handle. From a historical and technical point of view it certainly is a fail - the idocity and ignorance displayed reduces the entertainment value of the action sequences to zero. They are outright painful to watch. From the drama point of view I think I'd appreciate characters on both sides of the conflict. Or at least one. The Japanese are not the aliens of Independence day and the US Americans not some shallow fictional superheroes of some sort. No reflection of history and no appreciation for their sacrifices.

All in all, I think my money is better spend on a BoX Yak-9 or Hawker Hurricane than at the cinema. :)

Also I just read today that the wrecks of Akagi and Kaga have been found. That I found interesting.

Edited by JtD
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 10/20/2019 at 3:13 AM, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Perhaps you could use MC.202s as faux Ki-61s?

I’m all for stand-in maps.

Stand-in aircraft however (unless it’s just a difference in version/type) is a bridge too far for me.

The Hurricane can be useful for a Burma campaign at some point should a suitable (even a stand-in) map become available  (Kuban in a pinch) should someone care to build it.

The late Yaks were a foregone conclusion IMO  and necessary. I’d like to see a Yak 3 later as well. The Russian fans should have a good selection of late war aircraft as well as early war.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

After ten minutes of time-stretching telephone tag, you're speaking to a French dude in 1940 who's airfield just got over run.

Historically accurate.....

Not exactly the planes I personally hoped for.
Hurricane: Kind of interesting, but nothing special or needed; limited service during the BoM & BOS campaigns
Yak-9: This initial production model closely resembles the Yak-1b; minuscule numbers used during the BoK campaign
Yak-9T: Interesting aircraft (used to love it in first Gen. IL-2); doesn't fit any of the campaigns - I'm definitely not a fan of sandbox stuff

I expected and hoped for the B-25D to be on the list. After several statements of intent and a two year development cycle (BoBP) without a playable bomber* it would have been a welcome addition. *: Strangely enough, the light night bomber U-2 lacks a working bombsight
Eastern Front specific collector aircraft - fine: I-153 (still in service during the BoK campaign), IAR-37/38/39, IAR-80, Yak-1 M-105PA, ...

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

The late Yaks were a foregone conclusion IMO  and necessary. I’d like to see a Yak 3 later as well. The Russian fans should have a good selection of late war aircraft as well as early war.

These Yak-9s aren't exactly late war though, they are early-mid 1943 variants and we didn't have confirmation so far if later variants would be portrayed as modifications.

• Upvote 1

I personally had hoped the B-25 would indeed be confirmed as playable by now..but these are okay too, I'll buy them :) 

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

The Hurricane can be useful for a Burma campaign

Singapore, Sumatra & Java too...but wouldn't go far without the Zero, Oscar and Co.

I have a book by an RAF pilot called Terence Kelly - Hurricane Over The Jungle which I found interesting, and just noticed he has another out called Hurricanes versus Zeros that I'm tempted to get.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

These Yak-9s aren't exactly late war though, they are early-mid 1943 variants and we didn't have confirmation so far if later variants would be portrayed as modifications.

What makes a Yak 9 a Yak 9U?

Not my area of expertise by a long shot.

Gotta figure a late war Russia map (not full release) is coming at some point.

Edited by Gambit21

The VK107 engine with 50% more power and that up to 6km instead of 4km of altitude.

• Thanks 1

I remember taking part in a poll for the Hurricane, so it's nice that it's now being added. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Seems plausible then.

I wouldn't expect the 9U as a modification, appart from the much more powerful engine there were many significant changes in the plane configuration, different fuselage construction, a new intake on top of the cowling, a longer canopy, change in the radiators positions. Honestly this plane should be it's own, kinda like going from a P-51A to a P-51D, many differences.
unknown.png

The variant I could see plausible is going from the Yak-9T to the Yak-9M via mods (most of them not affecting the 3D model). The Yak-9M took the 9T's fuselage, went back to a 20mm gun, had a couple extra wing fuel tanks, added an automatic water radiator control, canopy emergency jettison, and the later production models had the slightly more powerful engine from the Yak-3 (not as powerful as the 9U's, but 100 HP extra do help ^^). It is from 1944 and was produced in the thousands, doesn't have as high performance as the more known Yak-3 and Yak-9U but it was produced in high numbers and would be something late war for the Eastern Front fans. It sort of fills the space of the late war workhorses like the Spit LF Mk IX, Typhoon, Bf 109 G-14 and Fw 190 A-8 that had a significant role though they weren't the hottest rides around.

unknown.png

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

There were no yaks in the battle of Bodenplatte either, but we could do "What if" flights if we wanted, so what's your point?

I think the Yaks are meant to be used on the Stalingrad and Kuban maps...

Edited by [Pb]Cybermat47
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

At the risk of waking the wrath of the "not another 109" group, an E4 and eight gun Spit would be a helluva (an) addition considering the addition of a Hurricane. I'm sure we could find a suitable map to build some scenarios from that.............somehow. :) :):) 

Give the Dev's some credit. There is no way the expansion would be Midway alone and this has been discussed to death. Midway is chosen as the title for name recognition only. It will be some combination of early Pacific operations. The original plan was for two or three expansions to cover the war in the east. I'm sure that has been refinded since then. Outside of some early hiccups/teething there have been no significant (minor, sure/significant, no) missteps from this team in years.

While there are others, the singular MAJOR hurdle holding up BoMI is obtaining and interpreting original documentation on Japanese aircraft. There are numerous threads and Dev quotes on this. When that is cleared we will be full steam ahead.....................

I do give the devs credit, and i don't believe for one moment they would just do midway as a standalone. 

My post wasn't aimed in there direction, rather at forum users mentioning midway or pearl harbour etc, without thinking about the work to do it vs longevity.

I've flown pearl harbour/midday  in 1946 to death, it doesn't take long.

But i love carrier opps, and want them so much in this game. Coral sea could almost be done with assets from guaducanal start,  and map the easiest they could make, hence why i mentioned it.

Something like midway or pearl harbour is a lot of work for little longevity imo, that's all.

7 hours ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

I wouldn't expect the 9U as a modification, appart from the much more powerful engine there were many significant changes in the plane configuration, different fuselage construction, a new intake on top of the cowling, a longer canopy, change in the radiators positions. Honestly this plane should be it's own, kinda like going from a P-51A to a P-51D, many differences.
unknown.png

The variant I could see plausible is going from the Yak-9T to the Yak-9M via mods (most of them not affecting the 3D model). The Yak-9M took the 9T's fuselage, went back to a 20mm gun, had a couple extra wing fuel tanks, added an automatic water radiator control, canopy emergency jettison, and the later production models had the slightly more powerful engine from the Yak-3 (not as powerful as the 9U's, but 100 HP extra do help ^^). It is from 1944 and was produced in the thousands, doesn't have as high performance as the more known Yak-3 and Yak-9U but it was produced in high numbers and would be something late war for the Eastern Front fans. It sort of fills the space of the late war workhorses like the Spit LF Mk IX, Typhoon, Bf 109 G-14 and Fw 190 A-8 that had a significant role though they weren't the hottest rides around.

unknown.png

I always preferred flying the Russian planes with grey camos over green.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone know when the Yak-9T arrived at the front? Was it used over Kuban?

5 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

I always preferred flying the Russian planes with grey camos over green.

I would avoid the extra weight myself, but whatever floats your boat :biggrin:

Edited by Pict
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Juri_JS said:

Does anyone know when the Yak-9T arrived at the front? Was it used over Kuban?

No. It arrived from July 1943 at Central, Bryansk and Western front. 

We can add 9T in the Kuban career as unhistoric plane from July 5th like it was done for La-5FN.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if we will be getting a new soviet pilot model with the introduction of the Yak-9? Some night witches would be good too ;)

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Alexmarine28 said:

Is the FN presence for Kuban ahistorical?

FN is also unhistoric plane for Kuban. In July 1943 all La-5 regiments left Kuban front and there was only one La-5/5F squadron till autumn. The probability that La-5FNs (which at that time were tested on the Central Front ) got there is close to zero.

21 minutes ago, BlackSix said:

FN is also unhistoric plane for Kuban. In July 1943 all La-5 regiments left Kuban front and there was only one La-5/5F squadron till autumn. The probability that La-5FNs (which at that time were tested on the Central Front ) got there is close to zero.

Would be nice if there was an option for disabling all unhistorical planes for the careermode. I get that you want to offer the player the option to fly the Fw-190A3 and La-5FN in career, but i personally would rather not. 

Grt M

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, I./ZG1_Dutchvdm said:

Would be nice if there was an option for disabling all unhistorical planes for the careermode. I get that you want to offer the player the option to fly the Fw-190A3 and La-5FN in career, but i personally would rather not. 

Grt M

If you are not a member of those squadrons, the aircraft will not appear

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Yes, you can't meet them as AI planes in the career.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Not sure about the FN though, they are present in a mixed regiments along LaGGs...

@BlackSix will only the LaGG appears in those case?

Edited by Alexmarine28