Sublime

P38 instruments - save yourself a headace

this is actually really useful for all 3 new BP ac but the P38 has the most cramped hardest to read cockpit.  it does wonders to hit l (default) and turn instrument lights on. even during the day. try it, youll thank me

• Upvote 3

I dont use VR but it DEF helps me with the 3 new planes ESPECIALLY.  The other planes yes and no.. depends.

My memory could be playing tricks but I want to say some early war russian aircraft have weird instrument lighting and it almost throws me off a little. I think Im misremembering

I have done this in all aircraft, pretty much always. Some of the older Russian aircraft (the Yak-1 I believe, for one) have "ambient" lighting rather than backlit instruments, so for some it's situational. But for most it's a necessity! It's funny how the little things can make a big difference! 

On 10/17/2019 at 3:29 PM, Sublime said:

this is actually really useful for all 3 new BP ac but the P38 has the most cramped hardest to read cockpit.  it does wonders to hit l (default) and turn instrument lights on. even during the day. try it, youll thank me

As a newb learning the Russian aircraft right now: A) i didnt even realize this was a thing, and B) wow this makes all the instruments much easier to read! 

now i just need to learn russian since i can never remember which gauge is which

12 hours ago, Kataphrakt said:

As a newb learning the Russian aircraft right now: A) i didnt even realize this was a thing, and B) wow this makes all the instruments much easier to read! 

now i just need to learn russian since i can never remember which gauge is which

Haha, the gauges will all make sense to you soon. Most gauges for a certain thing are similar, whether they are Russian, German, or American. And you can also make changes to controls and observe how the instruments react to determine what some of them are. 

Once you learn them well in 1 aircraft, all others will be simple to learn. 

On 10/23/2019 at 8:16 AM, Kataphrakt said:

I may be misremembering the colors but the language isnt a problem.

The instruments in Russian and German planes are colored coded.

for example in German planes the fuel gauge is always colored yellow.

go on requiems how to fly series on youtube.  Look and freeze frame on any russian ac he does when he shows the cockpit and labels it.  Just remember the colors. Im also fairly sure the germans and russians used the same colors for gauges. 

if youre american youre only problem may be mine which is metric.  I just use the rule of thumb 80/50 (km - mph), 1km alt is 3.3k ft, and I just basically treat 2km as a mile for navigation.  Im sure if youre good at math, metric, or arent American youre disgusted with me and are desperately trying to *forget* everything I say

:) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sublime said:

The instruments in Russian and German planes are colored coded.

they are somewhat, like the water and oil temp, but i keep forgetting which are prop rpm and which is pressure. 

For the metric vs English units, i'm fine with both, only an issue when i'm IE flying a US craft and need to compare its specs to another craft's specs. 

Ah.  Well dont despair - you'll intuitively get a grasp as well over time.  Also lots of people gravitate towards a couple of favorite airplanes they fly heavily and so on.

A good thing if youre not starting in the air is to get yourself situated before take off.  You can figure out the important instruments that way - for example turning your rpms up or down and watching what gauge is affected.

Others will be easy (especially because VVS planes have the least instruments) because a dial going 0-700 must be speed, an altimeter is going to look a certain way, the compasses are almost always the same, so on and so forth.

Or if not take a screenshot from one of those vids or a game guide on il2 and learn the words :)

48 minutes ago, Kataphrakt said:

they are somewhat, like the water and oil temp, but i keep forgetting which are prop rpm and which is pressure. 

For the metric vs English units, i'm fine with both, only an issue when i'm IE flying a US craft and need to compare its specs to another craft's specs. 

Temps, fuel, other good stuff

14 hours ago, Sublime said:

Ah.  Well dont despair - you'll intuitively get a grasp as well over time.  Also lots of people gravitate towards a couple of favorite airplanes they fly heavily and so on.

I also keep forgetting that the Yak 7 has its fuel gauges on the wings, (though i cant actually see them with the canopy closed!) TBH i would like to just learn which words mean what so i can figure out the gauges. if i just memorize the gauge locations i'll end up forgetting everything when i take a break from the game. 

19 minutes ago, Kataphrakt said:

I also keep forgetting that the Yak 7 has its fuel gauges on the wings, (though i cant actually see them with the canopy closed!) TBH i would like to just learn which words mean what so i can figure out the gauges. if i just memorize the gauge locations i'll end up forgetting everything when i take a break from the game. 

Focus not so much on memorizing gauge locations, but on the look of the gauge. All oil temp gauges, for example, will be split into 3 parts - the upper arc is the oil temp, the smaller vertical side needles are for oil pressure and fuel pressure. Loss of pressure is an indication you have a serious leak. No matter whether it is Russian, German, or American, the gauge will look this way. 

If it's a temperature gauge and it doesn't look this way, it's either water temperature or cylinder head temperature (and I don't believe you'll ever see both in the same aircraft, unless some later-war aircraft include both. I don't own them all yet). 

The altimeter will always have 3 needles of different lengths, for 100, 1000, and 10000 meters or feet. 

The manifold pressure gauge will always respond linearly with throttle position changes. The RPM gauge will respond directly to rpm changes, and lag a bit as it takes time for the propeller pitch to adjust. In time you'll be able to easily pick them out by sight, just by seeing how they are scaled and marked. 

Feel free to ask about any specific ones you aren't sure about. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kataphrakt said:

Every Yak has its fuel gauges on the wings.  However the good thing about Il2.. at least in this situation is youre unlikely to run out of fuel.  Its very rare I ever  have worried about that, even in a 109..  The maps generally arent big enough..

If you get a fuel leak from taking fire you may have problems of course.  Id say  by  that point youre pointing that Yak east anyways and just trying to reach friendly lines!