Jason_Williams

Stuttering in Multiplayer and other Modes

Please discuss your stuttering issues, especially stuttering on MP servers here in this centralized thread. Please be clear in what you are reporting and use good testing methods to try and pin down what is causing your stutters. Being precise helps us, help you.

Graphical stutters and other types of stutters such as ones caused by a CPU bottleneck are not the same. This is where much confusion on the topic of stutters lies. Help us untangle what you are experiencing so we can take a look. Right now, our experience in the office and at our homes, do not match the experience some of you are reporting.

I cannot promise anything will be done unless we can duplicate the issue and identify under what circumstances such stuttering occurs. 

Nasty, angry, disrespectful behavior in this thread will not be tolerated.

Jason

I am not super experienced with graphics rendering and how things work with online play, but I hope what I have here may help.

My rig:
Windows 10
Intel i5 7500k 3.4 ghz
Geforce GTX 1060 3GB running latest drivers (436 I think?).
8 GB Ram
1920x1080 monitor

My experience with stuttering post patch:

Using the same graphics settings as pre-patch, I encountered stutters  (i.e. the frame freezing for a split second or sometimes for longer) when flying over cities and more often when moving my viewpoint with my head tracking. I found this to be almost only on the Rheinland map. It was most severe over large cities like Antwerp. I decided to try different settings and stress test in the QMB.

Testing with all Vsync Off, including hardware vsync, I tested 8 vs. 8 in QMB over Antwerp, with 8 P-47s vs. 8 He-111s. Stuttering was not noticeable but obviously got a lot of screen tearing.

Testing with Vsync On, new FPS limiter option to 60 (my monitor is 60hz), Fullscreen On, 4k Textures On, I ran the same scenario again. Microstutters still occurred but mostly right at the beginning of the scenario. Afterwards it was much smoother. Once again, stutters were mostly over the major city. They were less frequent and of less duration.

Turning down clouds to Medium from High and reducing horizon draw distance to 70 km reduced the stuttering quite a bit even with high numbers of AI. 

Flying online, I was getting similar stuttering badly on the ground at the airfield, and somewhat randomly in the air, mostly when other players were nearby or over ground targets. It was worse over major cities but the random stutters were more frequent than SP no matter where I was. It was worse when server loads were high.

I did some more testing and followed multiple threads and I have reduced my online stutters further. They are not gone but have become less frequent

I have posted my solution of sorts in the MIcro Stutters thread in this forum. To paraphrase, Windows 10 updated around the same time as the patch for me and reset my power consumption to be "balanced" intead of high performance. 

1. Set computer power regime back to max performance.
2. In NVIDIA control panel, set power to max performance, and set Low Latency mode to Ultra. I thought about making other changes here but did not, I wanted to isolate effects if possible. Vsync was set to Application Controlled.
3. In game, my preset is High. Clouds are set to Medium, Shadows to Medium, mirrors to Complex, , grass to normal, landscape detail to normal, horizong distance to 70km from 100km before patch. I have fullscreen ON, use 4k Textures ON, Vsync ON and FPS limiter set to 60 fps.

After doing this, airfield stutters were almost completely gone or unnoticeable. When zooming in on cities or flying low over large cities on the Rheinland map I still get some stutters but much less frequent and shorter duration, and don't interrupt gameplay as much. Stutters are still more common with high numbers of players and over target areas. I also get mini-freezes sometiems when large numbers of AI pop in, both in single and multiplayer, but this happened to me pre patch as well.

In QMB, on Rheinland map, things are pretty smooth, with only occasional jitters over major cities. Other maps do not produce stutter at all in SP mode.

I hope this information is useful.

Edit: All MP testing was done on Combat Box, the lowest ping server I have available to me. It was nearly full during all testing, before and after my changes. Other people flying on comms with me at the same time as me were split on whether they were encountering stuttering.

Edited by RedKestrel

Hello, I have stutter problem (in VR and ju88) I didn't notice before.

I tried to update nvidia drivers, reduce graphics options, change frequency of Pimax 5k+, get back to Pitool 144, same problem.

I used frame display and found that I have "spikes" every  ~10ms :

CaptureJu88.thumb.JPG.62233d3d2083a366bf557c83b95b1cb7.JPG

The strange thing is that those spikes did not occured at start of mission but after some seconds, and I did not notice them on Bf109 (but other did):CaptureBF109.thumb.JPG.563d0442907d7795197a5ef62870a75d.JPG

I hope it may help...

1 minute ago, lefuneste said:

I tried to update nvidia drivers, reduce graphics options, change frequency of Pimax 5k+, get back to Pitool 144, same problem.

I used frame display and found that I have "spikes" every  ~10ms :

CaptureJu88.thumb.JPG.62233d3d2083a366bf557c83b95b1cb7.JPG

The strange thing is that those spikes did not occured at start of mission but after some seconds, and I did not notice them on Bf109 (but other did):CaptureBF109.thumb.JPG.563d0442907d7795197a5ef62870a75d.JPG

I hope it may help...

Is this in Multiplayer?

I started another thread with my settings which has my mid-level rig running really well now. Jason or Mod can you lock that thread but leave the link up please.

So I experienced this initially, I changed mirror setting down from complex which 'appeared' to help with things but I doubt it was the thing triggering it.

Whatever it was, I don't have stutters anymore. At the same time, I'm running noticeably lower FPS compared to previous releases. I usually have fps hovering around 70/90 even at higher alts, before I was easily capping out at 144 when at altitude.

Initially I assumed it was the MP mission, but I'm seeing this lower performance generally across different servers and maps. Is there any way to go for a complete reset on graphical settings/local files? Somewhat considering a reinstall as well. Completely unsure what is causing this atm. 

No stuttering for me, but I have noticed the re-appearance of the issue in multiplayer, where you look at a plane next to you and for a split second it shows default skin before changing to a different skin. Similar situation existed a couple of years ago and then it disappeared with some update back then, now it has re-appeared. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

My rig:
Windows 10 Pro
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.3 Ghz

16 GB Ram
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
2560x1440 GSync-monitor 144 Hz

Before 3.201 I had SP 120 - 150 FPS, MP (mainly depending on distance to server and it's load) 80 - 110 FPS. I tried a lot of graphic settings, from Ultra-all-out to Medium-all-over. Resulting in higher or lower FPS, it remained a question of personal taste ranging from 60 to 144 Hz. ANYtime it remained smooth, NO stutters at all - at least I wasn't able to see any. Imho it was nearly perfect - bucket full of options I was free to choose from.

After 3.201 I have SP 90 - 110 FPS, as soon as there are clouds no more than 70 - 85.  Stutters in SP are short, but common. Setting the screen FPS in game to 80 nearly stops SP-stutters, except a maybe 5 sec-phase low level near large Rheinland-cities. Settings are "high" without some gimmicks. That's still ok - acceptable for my medium-range rig.

Online now it's around 55 - 70 FPS on servers under heavy load (Kota with 70 pilots online f.e.). Frequent heavy stuttering with an in-game limit set to 80. Even setting the limit down to 60 fps there's still well visible stuttering on any map. I think the presence of clouds adds to the stuttering, but I never checked it out consequently. Flying MP I quickly come to my level of no-go. I feel there's no way falling back from 120 FPS to 40 just to avoid stuttering.

PS: I do not fly with HUD, can't say if there's an impact.

(I'm confident the team - as always - will find an acceptable solution. Take your time!)

Edited by JG4_Retnek
detail added

I have a shuttering but I found a solution. I disable hud and all shuttering gone immediately. It have to be done from key "h" (default).

Edited by =LG=Lens

Everything was fine working for me pre-update.

Now it is, that mainly but not exclusivly, by looking forward to the instrument panel, I get those little micro stutters. When some planes are around, than I also get those micro stutters.

Normally, if I am looking to the sides or behind me, everything is smoothly.

Maybe the implemented photo is part of the reason for stutters? Cause it is there at the instrument panel....

The maps stutter really bad. Especially when you zoom in and out on them in the briefing screen and the full "O" map.

1) 2 frames periodic stutter: 60 ms instead of 33 ms

At lowest possible settings (capped to 30 FPS):

Il-2_2019-10-17_03-36-24.thumb.png.cbc45b625b508c32fde9d637ca253bfa.png

Go to an empty server, spawn on any airfield, do nothing. There are periodic stutters every 5sec and every 1 sec.

FrafsBenchViewer_2019-10-17_01-25-47.thumb.png.aa5aa1f5c6cef43c54b439723d633e6b.png

Go to quick mission, spawn on any airfield, do nothing. No stutters.

FrafsBenchViewer_2019-10-17_01-27-34.thumb.png.6f0b49080e4df0a2bfa2e789db716c38.png

2) 3-10 frames stutters occuring very often (5% of time)

Settings are high without FPS cap.

Go to WoL, fly straight, do nothing. Those 3 spikes in the center occuring with 5 sec interval, so maybe it is related to 1)

FrafsBenchViewer_2019-10-17_22-36-33.thumb.png.ebb7b2cd179e3435c17a054abdb105bf.png

Hardware: GTX1070 + 3770k@4.6GHz

Edited by TUS_Samuel
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, =LG=Lens said:

I have a shuttering but I found a solution. I disable hud and all shuttering gone immediately. It have to be done from key "h" (default).

Yes, fly like real men did, without all this fake HUD nonsense. Learn the gauges and engine/performance limitations of each airplane. It is a rewarding learning experience, almost like discovering this game for the first time.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WheelwrightPL said:

Yes, fly like real men did, without all this fake HUD nonsense. Learn the gauges and engine/performance limitations of each airplane. It is a rewarding learning experience, almost like discovering this game for the first time.

I'm not telling to fly without HUD. I'm just saying that this help with shutters. Devs will know what probably cose problems and they will know what should be fix.

4 of my colleagues confirm that disabling HUD eliminate shutters.

So if you confirm too this is strong clue.

• Upvote 3

I would also like to report considerable increase of stuttering with the latest patch. My setup is a bit sub-optimal: XPS 15 9550 laptop, intel i7-6700HQ and nvidia 1070 in thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure. For unknown reason, latest 2 or 3 nvidia drivers introduce periodic stutters not only for Sturmovik (approximately 0.2 sec stutter every 2 seconds). The latest driver that doesn't introduce these stutters for me is 436.15. It might be worth a try to roll back to this driver for some, however, even with this driver, there are some stutters in Sturmovik.

I am running high preset with additional settings somewhere around medium values and the game runs quite steadily around 60 fps. Changing settings like fullscreen mode, lowering FPS target, vsync don't seem to have noticeable effect on stutters.

In single player, I am running almost completely stutter-free. There are some stutters on Bodenplate map when I am turning my head around, but those are bearable. On multiplayer servers it is much worse. It looks to me the stutters are mostly connected to the player count. When I join a server with ~10 players, the performance is similar to single player. If I fly on a server with ~60 people in, it gets a lot worse. The worst performance for me currently has Combat Box with their Bodenplate mission where there are also heavy, multi-layer clouds every time. My fps are very close to 60 when flying there, however there are many stutters that happen every time I turn my head. I haven't determined yet, whether it gets worse when looking towards the direction where many players are, I have to do some more testing, but it appears to me that clouds also affect stutters on my end.

I also get big, sometimes several second freezes when I try to zoom in or zoom out the in-game map (default O) as mentioned in this thread, however, this was the same for me even before the latest patch.

I also noticed in Windows Task Manager spikes in GPU/CPU that are most likely connected to the stutters. I will try to capture some screenshots, maybe also with some better tools if people can suggest any.

In my case the stuttering came without any change to the system. Fluid before the patch, stuttery and with lower fps after - same drivers all the time. I updated to newest ones yesterday to see if this helps, but nothing changed. 

Edited by RavN_Sone

12 hours ago, =LG=Lens said:

I'm not telling to fly without HUD. I'm just saying that this help with shutters. Devs will know what probably cose problems and they will know what should be fix.

4 of my colleagues confirm that disabling HUD eliminate shutters.

So if you confirm too this is strong clue.

I can show bad HUD effet below:

In Ju88, without HUD, no stutter or far less noticeable:

986725407_withoutHUD.JPG.b862f5c67c04f0a70ace152f5c84ce75.JPG

Same game session, I just press "H" around 97150 to show HUD : spikes and stutters are back !

820334149_withHUD.thumb.JPG.4249678906b4b537051c0ebdd8a9f1d3.JPG

@=LG=Lens : many thanks. At least I will be able to play without stuttering, or only when I decide to have them (that is activating  HUD).

But there is problem in solo, when it is necessary to have messages of campaign designer...

@Jason : is this something you can reproduce and cure ?

• Upvote 1

From my point of view I have some micro lags between 0,5-1 sec. Thy appear randomly...

My rig is:

Intel Core i7 4790 4x 3.6GHz

16GB DDR3-RAM PC-1333 (2x 8GB)

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC Gaming ACX 2.0

1000GB S-ATA2 Festplatte

MSI H81 M-P33, INtel H81

630 Watt be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM Modular 80+ Bronze 

Cooltek Antiphon

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit - Monitor: Samsung S24d390h 24Zoll 

Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS Throttle

Creative Fatal1ty Pro Series HS-800

TrackIR 5

21 hours ago, lefuneste said:

"spikes" every  ~10ms

I think it is frame number on X axis. So spikes occur every 10 frames which for VRs 90FPS equals to 110 ms

38 minutes ago, lefuneste said:

I can show bad HUD effet below

I've made the same thing. There is some effect of enabling HUD. Not sure how to interpret this.

FrafsBenchViewer_2019-10-19_00-48-34.thumb.png.658b8ebab9830c77fd7628369c606806.png

I too can confirm turning off HUD in multiplayer clears most of the stuttering for me.

Single player with HUD has almost no stuttering.

The frametime graph is from Berloga with HUD on.

109.PNG

Same observation here - HUD is a FPS killer, both in SP and of course in MP. I have seen this the two other days

and tonight as well.

The FPS for me remain pretty steady but the stutters are like constant tiny twitches - it is very subtle but it is there - the best example I can give is that it is like 10 years ago whenyou used to fly next to someone and they jumped back and forward like ping issues.  It is the same but on a much smaller scale  All MP with no HUD.

von Tom

• Like 1

I tested WOL with the HUD off and unfortunately I have to withdraw my confirmation.

While the spiking is reduced with the HUD off, it is still significant.

First graph is flying in WOL with HUD off.

Second is WOL lobby (hangar view).

wol hud off.PNG

wol lobby hud off.PNG

• Upvote 1

I had great performance with the first big patch.  Then the hot-fixes seemed to cause a big performance drop.  Stutters galore.  I spent a lot of time trying to fix it to no avail.  I seemed to have some success but then, after more tweaking, it only got worse.  

I loaded up DCS to see how it ran.  It ran quite poorly, so then I began to suspect my system, or something else besides IL-2, was the issue.  I reformatted my system drive at that point and re-downloaded IL-2, Steam and the Oculus software.  I made sure to put it all on my SSD.  Performance was much better.  I tried some mods but not much changed.  I put the GPU on maximum performance, same with power settings.  Both CPU and GPU are overclocked a bit, but nothing crazy.

Things run well now, more or less.  I still feel that the new patches decreased my performance slightly as I don't remember planes blurring or ghosting at all pre-patch and now they will on big missions over airfields, etc..  It's pretty manageable though and really not bad like it was.  

Maybe the patch exposed some issues with my system or upped the system requirements by a hair, no idea.  Things run decent for a modest machine like mine (i7 6700k, 1070ti, 24 GB DDR4 @ 2100) so I'm happy again.  The stuttering is pretty rare now considering how demanding a simulator this is.  I'm relieved and glad to have my favorite game back.

Edited by cmorris975
New info
  • Upvote 1

I have noticed these same stutters as well. What fixed it for me is to reduce the max frame rate from 75 to 60.

Before the patch, I would get between 80-110 fps but since the last big patch, in MP, my system has only been able to push between 60-70 fps due to these stutters.

The stuttering only occured when the fps was below my set max fps so lowering the limit fixed the issue. 

(I changed none of my other settings but almost all of it is on max) Oh and I fly without HUD

My system

i7-7700K 4,7GHz

32GB DDR4 RAM (4x8GB)

EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

LG 3440x1440 ultrawide (max 75 Hz)

Windows 10

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

Edited by BlackHellHound1

I narrowed the cause of my stutters down to GPU demand spikes.

I noticed that my FPS tanked with the update and that my GPU strugged to get 60 FPS. At the same I could see that frame times were sporadically spiking every few seconds
Picture of that in the spoiler down low

Spoiler

20191008201438_1.jpg?width=1202&height=6

To help my GPU a little I turned off SSAO, shadows to "high" and capped my FPS to 60.
This gives me continuously 60 FPS and constant frame times. the stutters disappeared.
My GPU runs now at less than 100% usage, giving the it breathing space to meet the sudden demands.

While this worked and is good workarond, I still would like my 80-120 FPS pre-patch back.

Edit: a soon as my GPU cant produce the 60 FPS on the Rheinland map, the stutters are back.

System
i7 4790k
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB RAM

Edited by DerSheriff
  • Upvote 1

We found out that the "No positions data" messages in MP occurs when a player's game crashes. 
We also managed to duplicate it, and what player see is, his plane is just floating in the air, sometimes there are even no sounds. 
And it's not just 1 player per mission, but at least 10-15 per a 2 hour mission. 
This happens not only on the Rheinland map, but on all maps. 

In SP mode in VR with Valve Index at 80Hz no stutters at all. Tested all maps and with 140%SS. Very fluent and pleasant experience

Obviously in heavy combat the frametimes cross the 12.5ms limit and then I have fps below 80fps, but this just a CPU limitation, not the issues that we want to reproduce.

Some tests with SS here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/55173-performance-valve-index-with-different-ss-ratios/

I wonder how to produce periodic stutters in SP mode.

PC Specs:

Display: Asus MX239H 1080p 60Hz

Motherboard: Gigabyte H97N-WIFI

RAM: DDR3 2x4GB 1600MHz (G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D)

CPU: 8MB 3.9Ghz 8-thread (Intel Xeon E3 1241v3)

GPU: Asus Strix GTX960 OC, 2GB VRAM on NVIDIA Driver 425.31

IL-2 installed on Samsung 850 EVO SSD with 43GB of space free

When: In multiplayer and single player, map and weather doesn't seem important. On the latest patch currently, but has occurred in previous patches before hence why I've not really played for the past 6 months. 

Problem: Huge lag on the ground and near the ground (always down to 3 FPS), persists for a random amount of time until FPS returns to nominal levels (30-60 FPS). Does seem to clear up faster if I look towards the sky but not always. While it is lagging and stuttering, looking towards the sky (where the majority of objects are not being rendered), FPS only increases to about 15-20. I don't seem to get any lag at higher altitudes above 1km but zooming in quickly does cause a stutter and brief FPS dip. 

I have attached my Graphic settings and HWMonitor export. I checked ASUS GPU monitor while playing and 960 gets maxed out but the clocks themselves don't dip or drop when lag or stuttering occurs, so I think we can rule out a hardware failure.

VRAM usage maxed out around 1.8-1.9 GB.

I also don't have issues in any other games or rendering applications. 

For what it matters, this flight was based on the Kuban Summer map without weather but as I said, it also occurs on the other maps. Normally in the air I sit at around 50-60 FPS. 

Settings.jpg

IL-2 HWMonitor.txt

Edited by Lippisch

3 hours ago, Lippisch said:

PC Specs:

Display: Asus MX239H 1080p 60Hz

Motherboard: Gigabyte H97N-WIFI

RAM: DDR3 2x4GB 1600MHz (G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D)

CPU: 8MB 3.9Ghz 8-thread (Intel Xeon E3 1241v3)

GPU: Asus Strix GTX960 OC, 2GB VRAM on NVIDIA Driver 425.31

IL-2 installed on Samsung 850 EVO SSD with 43GB of space free

Try to modify the red marked points on your game settings, because with your hardware specs you expect way too much. Have a look here:

Settings.thumb.jpg.8f6c6b36638204c1d3f22e0c24535691.jpg

Set shadows to Medium, Distant landscape to Normal, Grass quality to Normal and deactivate SSAO.

And change the green options like the following:

Landscape filter to Blurred and activate Sharpen - this will help you a lot in spotting.

Finally, it could also be helpful to set the horizon draw distance to 70 km.

Cheers

P.S.: And update your NVIDIA drivers - yours are quite old.

Edited by -=-THERION

So to summarize for a layperson like me, from what it looks like, there are periodic spikes in GPU and/or CPU usage while playing. These spikes are a likely cause of the microstutters.

Turning down high impact settings and limiting frames works to reduce the stutters to manageable levels. 

What we are doing by setting frame limits and lowering some settings (and adjusting our machines for peak performance) is giving more head room to the demands on our hardware. The spikes are still occurring but we don't notice them because they aren't reaching the levels where they impact framerates. Once they do, because of high player traffic over a congested area, we get a stutter as the system goes from being able to smoothly manage high FPS to being unable to keep FPS even at 30, but only for a split second - then it goes back to normal impact on the system which is why you get smooth framerates again.

The HUD is not necessarily the culprit, its just that the HUD has a relatively high system impact and adds more overhead to the game rendering, which makes you more vulnerable to the stutters.

Its possible that the people who aren't experiencing the stutters as much or as frequently had a lot of headroom on their rigs already.

Next time I get on I will try and capture my own GPU/CPU. My system is basically a watered down version of Sheriff's - an i5 instead of an i7 and a GTX 1060 with 3GB instead of 6GB.

• Upvote 1

I have sttuterings always when in multiplayer.

When looking outside and blanacing the plane the map stutters.

Only thing helping is turning off the HUD, but, despite the previous comments, HUD is highly neccesary when in MP for reading the chat and radar warnings.

On SP, stutterings appears whit many planes on scene, Like 6 v 6.

PC Specs:

Display: Oculus RIFT S

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 3

RAM: DDR4 2x16GB 3200MHz 

CPU: i7 8700K @5.1Ghz

GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Ventus

IL-2 installed on dedicated Patriot Scorch SSD

On 10/17/2019 at 10:12 PM, lefuneste said:

Is this in SP or MP mode?

If it is SP mode, please let me know graphics settings, scenario, etc. I will try to reproduce it.

On 10/18/2019 at 4:55 AM, TUS_Samuel said:

1) 2 frames periodic stutter: 60 ms instead of 33 ms

At lowest possible settings (capped to 30 FPS):

Il-2_2019-10-17_03-36-24.thumb.png.cbc45b625b508c32fde9d637ca253bfa.png

Go to an empty server, spawn on any airfield, do nothing. There are periodic stutters every 5sec and every 1 sec.

FrafsBenchViewer_2019-10-17_01-25-47.thumb.png.aa5aa1f5c6cef43c54b439723d633e6b.png

Go to quick mission, spawn on any airfield, do nothing. No stutters.

FrafsBenchViewer_2019-10-17_01-27-34.thumb.png.6f0b49080e4df0a2bfa2e789db716c38.png

This is the most clear piece of information demonstrating that the "periodic stutter" only occur in MP mode.  (Understanding that quick mission is SP)

Anybody else having stutters in SP mode is because their settings are set too high for their hardware. Jason is not asking for this. It is asking for stutters not caused by CPU/GPU bottleneck.

Therefore is a problem related only to MP.

I had gone from 60 fpsand good graphic quality to below 20 fps on low setting......stutter every 2 seconds makes it difficullt to shoot.....bomb ....anything.....lost several weekend's flying as mostly unplayable...researched all the forums.

Tried windowed mode, unchecking and checking vsync....etc etc etc.....

Back to 60 fps after....

Updating graphic card driver

Copied bin/data folder

Downloaded free trial uninstaller software called Revo Uninstaller Pro and ran medium depth uninstall of il2 (make sure to scroll down and checkbox folders and registry files identified specifically as ik2 related to be deleted; Revo creates a backup restore point before it allows you to delete any files)

Reboot computer twice

Reinstall iL2 from new download

Recopy my copy of the folder containing my controller profile curves....from bin/data directory.

Back to 60 fps...with high graphics...smooth as silk.

AMD board/quad core

GTX Nvidia 1070 GPU

24 Gb Ram

Solid state hardrive

Windows 10

Edited by J5_Baeumer

18 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

This is the most clear piece of information demonstrating that the "periodic stutter" only occur in MP mode.  (Understanding that quick mission is SP)

Anybody else having stutters in SP mode is because their settings are set too high for their hardware. Jason is not asking for this. It is asking for stutters not caused by CPU/GPU bottleneck.

Therefore is a problem related only to MP.

Not the case for the HUD. See my post above, just pressing "H" key make show spikes  that you don't have without HUD. It occures even if nothing is displayed in the HUD. And don't say me that HUD need more ressources than displaying whole environment, computing all plane parameters, AI and so on.

11 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

I had gone from 60 fpsand good graphic quality to below 20 fps on low setting......stutter every 2 seconds makes it difficullt to shoot.....bomb ....anything.....lost several weekend's flying as mostly unplayable...researched all the forums.

Tried windowed mode, unchecking and checking vsync....etc etc etc.....

Back to 60 fps after....

Updating graphic card driver

Copied bin/data folder

Downloaded free trial uninstaller software called Revo Uninstaller Pro and ran medium depth uninstall of il2 (make sure to scroll down and checkbox folders and registry files identified specifically as ik2 related to be deleted; Revo creates a backup restore point before it allows you to delete any files)

Reboot computer twice

Reinstall iL2 from new download

Recopy my copy of the folder containing my controller profile curves....from bin/data directory.

Back to 60 fps...with high graphics...smooth as silk.

AMD board/quad core

GTX Nvidia 1070 GPU

24 Gb Ram

Solid state hardrive

Windows 10

Are you able to do what others have done to see if you have the spikes in Task Manager? If a clean install fixes that then for people suffering from it it could be a great fix.