CAPSLOCK_ON

Own store version - want to buy Steam version too

Hi, guys!

I bought all BoX releases directly from the store, but now that there's a 75% off BoS sale on Steam I wanna buy it again from Steam so I can get rid of the Il-2 Launcher slow update speeds - my games on Steam get updated very fast.

I've searched everywhere, but couldn't find a clear explanation on how I can make Steam to "see" my current Il-2 BoS folder and whenever I update or launch Il-2 it starts from my "store version" folder keeping my current config and settings - it is not listed as Steam library folder since it is a separate hard drive just for Il-2.

Also, on the account integration tutorial, this situation is not covered as far as I could understand, so I don't feel confident that I can keep my current install and configs of Il-2 "store version" - In other words, I just want Steam to see my current Il-2 install and add it to its library without downloading the whole game and risk overwriting my config files. Is that possible?

Any help is appreciated!

11 hours ago, CAPSLOCK_ON said:

Hi, guys!

I bought all BoX releases directly from the store, but now that there's a 75% off BoS sale on Steam I wanna buy it again from Steam so I can get rid of the Il-2 Launcher slow update speeds - my games on Steam get updated very fast.

I've searched everywhere, but couldn't find a clear explanation on how I can make Steam to "see" my current Il-2 BoS folder and whenever I update or launch Il-2 it starts from my "store version" folder keeping my current config and settings - it is not listed as Steam library folder since it is a separate hard drive just for Il-2.

Also, on the account integration tutorial, this situation is not covered as far as I could understand, so I don't feel confident that I can keep my current install and configs of Il-2 "store version" - In other words, I just want Steam to see my current Il-2 install and add it to its library without downloading the whole game and risk overwriting my config files. Is that possible?

Any help is appreciated!

If you have a steam account and have purchased BoS, you can 'link' your accounts so that when you launch from Steam, Steam sees all your content. Steam will NOT show the stuff you have purchased from the Il-2 store even though it will be available to you in game. From then on, you have to launch through Steam to see all your content, from what I remember.

Caveat: I do not have anything from STeam myself, this is just what I recall from when the Steam overhaul was done and the Linking Accounts thing came out.

You only need to buy BoS from steam, and that's it. After that just link the accounts, and all your content bought on the official IL2 store would be available in game.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, guys! That's what I understood - what I can't get is how I can assure that my configs and local settings will be from the Il-2 store version, ie. how I can merge these both versions' files safely without losing my control and graphics settings, for example.

22 hours ago, adonys said:

You only need to buy BoS from steam, and that's it. After that just link the accounts, and all your content bought on the official IL2 store would be available in game.

I purchased the Steam version, but then it started downloading to a Steam library folder instead of my " X:\Il-2 BoS " folder, so I'd have installed two versions of BoS on my PC.

Steam library folders has a different folder structure than the one I have for Il-2 BoS (installed at the root of a dedicated HD) and I'm afraid of losing my configs and controls, so I stopped the download until I get a clearer picture of this process.

Edited by CAPSLOCK_ON

Just had the same question. 

I recently gifted BoS to a friend to get him into the series. I bought the key from the site, not from Steam. We'd be very much interested in activating BoS through Steam. Would that be possible?

I, myself bought BoS from Steam and BoK and BoM from the site and everything is running smoothly for me. (Except for the missing BoS tag on the forums).

So basically is it possible to buy the "basepack" BoS from site and activate it on Steam? Steam and site acocunts have been linked. 

For Steam you need steam keys. You can not activate IL2 store keys on steam. Same for IL2 store (steam bought games won't also activate IL2 store games).

As far as I know, it is possible to have BoS bought on both your Steam and IL2 accounts, and have those accounts linked - which is stupid, and just a hack to go around the fact that 777 removed the possibility (which existed before) to have IL2 store bought items also activate the same items on Steam. 777 removed this because people abused it by playing the game from both IL2 launcher and steam at the same time.

I've asked them to keep this possibility for linked accounts (which would allow them to identify either Steam or IL2 launched games as being the same account), but I assume that they haven't got too many requests supporting this, as they simply ignored me.

Even if they sold their items at that time advertising that you can transform IL2 bought items into Steam, and have them activate on both your IL2 and Steam accounts, they just forced my to accept either an IL2 or a Steam key for the pre-ordered products at the time they removed this feature.

I'll never forget how they chose to treat all IL2 legit users as thieves rather than add some little code to force linked accounts remain like that forever once you've activated the Steam keys for IL2 store bought products.

Edited by adonys