No_85_Gramps

Command AttackArea Timer

Once an object, or an object group, receives the attack area trigger when does the timer start? Is it immediately, or once the planes are over the target? Per Jim's manual:

"Time - The amount of time that the attacking object spends looking for and attacking targets.". If it starts immediately then maybe that is the source of issues we see cropping up. If my flight of bombers hits a waypoint, and gets the attack area trigger, which is set for say 5 minutes, but it takes 8 minutes to reach the target area, the timer would have expired before the flight arrives. I wonder if that is why we see the question pop-up "bombs not being dropped".

Timer starts as soon as the attack/area MCU is triggered.

Advice - don’t use the timer in the Attack MCU properties - set it to 99 min or similar. Then use a separate timer/deactivate MCU for the attack.

You also want to use a command behavior MCU to properly end the attack.

So Attack 99 min (in attack MCU settings)

Timer from previous waypoint (say 8 min)

to deactivate attack, plus 1 sec timer to force complete  ‘high’ (object linked to aircraft)

plus 1 sec to egress waypoint.

I can post a group later, but not near my PC right now.

The command behavior is extra insurance. It will work without it, but sometimes after an update doesn’t - so best practice is to use it rather than relying solely on the ‘deactivate’ logic.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Gambit! Will have to give this method a try. Please post a group when you get the chance.

4 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Advice - don’t use the timer in the Attack MCU properties - set it to 99 min or similar. Then use a separate timer/deactivate MCU for the attack.

You also want to use a command behavior MCU to properly end the attack.

Can you please elaborate re. the attack MCU timer Gambit21. Were you running into a particular issue with the timer that prompted the switch to an external timer trigger?

Re. command behaviour, I assume you meant force complete high, right?

Oops, and usually I use ‘bingo bombs’ to initiate the sequence (if the aircraft has bombs)

Jim - I just did it externally from the get go - I can’t remember why now. Might be because of something I read here.

I added the ‘force complete -high’ on Alex’s (Black Six) advice since there had been issues in the past when just using deactivate.

Actually it was a requirement on their part, so I just do it now.

Edited above - meant ‘force complete’

Edited by Gambit21

I’ll post a group when I’m back at my PC.

Here's a screenie with the MCU's arranged and sized for the screen shot, not the size (attack area and waypoints) as they appear in the mission.

The mission included is the same, so if an actual test takes place some adjusting might be necessary.

Note, the order of the Force Complete and deactivate are interchangeable, as long as they both occur the logic is sound.

I noticed as I was rearranging the MCU's for the screen shot etc that in the past I'd Deactivate first, then go to Force Complete and I inverted them here, and the mission still works fine.

That said, after this I think I'll go back to the other order - Deactivate, then Force Complete...just makes more sense in my head even if the editor logic is fine either way.

Also note that the aircraft here might not currently be active..this is pasted and simplified from a current mission, attack area test.

I remembered to hook the first waypoint back up to the mission begin MCU, but didn't activate the aircraft.

Attack Logic.jpg

Attack Logic.zip

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Here's a screenie with the MCU's arranged and sized for the screen shot, not the size (attack area and waypoints) as they appear in the mission.

The mission included is the same, so if an actual test takes place some adjusting might be necessary.

Just one thing missing: an object link from "Go Home 2200" to the plane.

Ahh - well it’s the attack logic test group so that guy never goes home. :)

• Haha 2