J5_Baeumer

Pour le Merite (Blue Max) and Distinguished Service Orders and Higher Awards

Correction:  Please also congratulate US_103 Baer for his award of the DSO.  Begun in October and spanning into January!  Unfortunately the awards buero was in disarray during the past month and his DSO recommendation was misplaced until now.  Please congratulate both Baer and Sahaj for their efforts.

• Like 2

Fini La Guerre!

25 PvP

3 AI

4 Balloons 

30:02 flight time

12.2.2019 -2.2.2020

45-ish mark.

Edited by US213_Talbot
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, US213_Talbot said:

Fini La Guerre!

OY - don't think I don't know where you got this quote from. 

He'll take a Pour le Merite instead of a DSO please...

(45:12 on the video to witness the death of Talbot via laser-AI) 

Edited by US93_Larner

Please also congratulate US203_Talbot for earning his DSO from the Flugpark as well.

Congrats all. Nice idea, thanks.

Actually thought i got to 33 (maybe 19 was PvP) only to be killed by shocking lag. Cést La Guerre indeed.

11 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Please also congratulate US213_Talbot for earning his DSO from the Flugpark as well.

And the holy trinity is complete! Congrats, Cap. 

qE7i2mY.png

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, US93_Larner said:

And the holy trinity is complete! Congrats, Cap. 

qE7i2mY.png

Unholy Trinity I believe

9 hours ago, US93_Larner said:

A pretty medal, The Blue Max...

Well done Talbot!  Congratulations!

(yer still ugly tho):P

• Sad 1

Ill have you know that I have it on good accord that I have the best hair in the entire Pursuit Group!

Edited by US213_Talbot
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, US213_Talbot said:

Ill have you know that I have it on good accord that I have the best hair in the entire Pursuit Group!

Maybe so... but the teeth!  

xx9me.jpg

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2020 at 5:08 AM, US93_Larner said:

Just a side note, comparing PlM to most Entente orders is tricky at best. It was not decoration for bravery, like MoH or VC, but decorations for officers for acts of extreme competence taht produced results (which most often means superb leadership rather than going into harms way). Air combat seems the place where they overlapped the most. 

Rewarding Americans and Poles with Pour le Mérite for victories on Entente planes is as fun as rewarding Russians and Chinese with the Medal of Honor sign, for winning victories on Japanese planes during Pearl Harbor :-))

Edited by emely

On 2/7/2020 at 12:01 AM, emely said:

Rewarding Americans and Poles with Pour le Mérite for victories on Entente planes is as fun as rewarding Russians and Chinese with the Medal of Honor sign, for winning victories on Japanese planes during Pearl Harbor :-))

Poles were (lukewarm) Central backers until five minutes after the Armistice. At that very moment we suddenly discovered we have been closet Entente supporters all the time. So awarding Poles on victories over Entente planes  while war is going on is perfectly ok. 

• Haha 2

How was his record only 20 for so long??

I remember being in a D7f back in RoF and getting jumped by @JG1_Hotlead_J10 flying an N28!  I evaded but didn't go for any prop-hang nonsense, instead slowly working my way to his altitude, which he maintained perfectly, all the while slashing at me from above.  As soon as it looked like I might be able to even things out, he was gone.  10 minutes later, same thing, same story.  I made a note to myself- 'Watch out if you see an N28!  There goes an ace.'

• Thanks 1

It would be nice to check how good all those who got medals here if they enter the 1x1 battle.  And it may turn out that they just like to shoot in the back to those who cannot see them. 🙂

21 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

How was his record only 20 for so long??

I remember being in a D7f back in RoF and getting jumped by @JG1_Hotlead_J10 flying an N28!  I evaded but didn't go for any prop-hang nonsense, instead slowly working my way to his altitude, which he maintained perfectly, all the while slashing at me from above.  As soon as it looked like I might be able to even things out, he was gone.  10 minutes later, same thing, same story.  I made a note to myself- 'Watch out if you see an N28!  There goes an ace.'

Aww, don't make me blush! 😂 Thank you. 😊 Was your callsign the same then as it is now?

Also, congrats to you as well for getting the Blue Max a few months back! 🎉💯😎

Edited by JG1_Hotlead_J10

13 minutes ago, emely said:

It would be nice to check how good all those who got medals here if they enter the 1x1 battle.  And it may turn out that they just like to shoot in the back to those who cannot see them. 🙂

Just imitating Boelcke...

"In any form of attack it is essential to assail your enemy from behind."

"Always try to secure an advantageous position before attacking. Climb before and during the approach in order to surprise the enemy from above, and dive on him swiftly from the rear when the moment to attack is at hand."

"Attack when the enemy least expects it or when he is preoccupied with other duties such as observation, photography, or bombing."

"Foolish acts of bravery only bring death. The Jasta(squadron) must fight as a unit with close teamwork between all pilots. The signals of its leaders must be obeyed."

Odd... turn fight your opponent at all costs is strangely missing....

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, emely said:

Hey man, some of us fly solo!  However, I can assure you that yes, I vastly prefer to shoot in the back someone who can't see me.  Every minute I have to stick around to close the deal, is another chance for one of his buddies to show up-  Lord help you if you see him start popping flares.

50 minutes ago, JG1_Hotlead_J10 said:

Aww, don't make me blush! 😂 Thank you. 😊 Was your callsign the same then as it is now?

Also, congrats to you as well for getting the Blue Max a few months back! 🎉💯😎

Thanks dude.  My current callsign is not the same as then.  It was Thorrahrafn back then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, US213_Talbot said:

Just imitating Boelcke...

Oswald went to feed the worms at the age of 25, and all his clever thoughts could not help him.

I said only what I said.

Are these pilots good as air fighters?  Or is it all a coincidence, a factor of luck, a trick and features of statistics, which can ascribe a victory for hitting a bullet in a dude who 10 minutes later collided with someone else.

Edited by emely

47 minutes ago, emely said:

Oswald went to feed the worms at the age of 25, and all his clever thoughts could not help him.

I said only what I said.

Are these pilots good as air fighters?  Or is it all a coincidence, a factor of luck, a trick and features of statistics, which can ascribe a victory for hitting a bullet in a dude who 10 minutes later collided with someone else.

If I remember right, Boelcke was a victim of two things: 

1. A wingman who wasn't looking where he was going
2. Young bravado! His mid-air collision was actually survivable, but he wasn't wearing a crash helmet. The impact on the ground killed him when he hit his head against the machine-guns. 

...that being said, chances are he would have been killed like the rest of the Aces later on. 

Having fought them myself on many occasions, I can say that Sizzlor and Hotlead are both first-class air fighters. SeaW0lf is a superior dogfighter. Nearly all his kills were in Camels and Triplanes. To get a score that high while flying those things is astounding.

as for myself, I don't profess to be a particularly amazing dogfighter...but I'm a decent shot, and there are lots of huns who don't pay attention....

But, the secret to racking up kills is being sneaky! You might be good, but there's always somebody who is better...I'd rather shoot that guy in the back when he's not looking ;) 

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, US93_Larner said:

If I remember right, Boelcke was a victim of two things: 

1. A wingman who wasn't looking where he was going
2. Young bravado! His mid-air collision was actually survivable, but he wasn't wearing a crash helmet. The impact on the ground killed him when he hit his head against the machine-guns. 

...that being said, chances are he would have been killed like the rest of the Aces later on. 

Ultimately, the reasons are not important, as the line of his life was interrupted.  In the memoirs of Saburo Sakai there is such a phrase (as far as I remember) "I am not the best of the Japanese pilots, I am one of the best among the survivors"

I'm not saying that guys with awards from this topic can’t fly.  I am talking about something else.  For example, with Sizzlorr I managed to meet 1x1 in approximately equal conditions.  I liked the fight, I hope him too.  Wolf plays a different game, the fight with him does not make much sense for any result.  And the rest I see, or only in a large company, or have not met at all.

9 hours ago, emely said:

And it may turn out that they just like to shoot in the back to those who cannot see them.

Yes, this is what I like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

Poles were (lukewarm) Central backers until five minutes after the Armistice. At that very moment we suddenly discovered we have been closet Entente supporters all the time. So awarding Poles on victories over Entente planes  while war is going on is perfectly ok. 

Give us all of them! 😄

It was not that simple as Trupo wrote, as during the WW1 there were CP and Entente-oriented politicians. While on one side there were units serving along the CP armies, there were such ones serving on the Entente side. Sure, the numbers on the Entente side started to grow after 1917, when many volunteers from the USA and Canada joined the army being formed in France. Things started to move faster after the W. Wilson's Fourteen Points (where 13th point stated about independent Poland). On the other side, we shall remember the Act of 5th November 1916, which was Wilhelm's and Franz Joseph's proclamation of the (future) forming of Kingdom of Poland (in the need for cannon fodder). That act allowed to create a local civilian administration and small army which was a backbone of the independent country in the first months after the November 11th 1918. This act also "made a pressure" on the Entente to propose something on the "Polish independence case" (Wilson's 13th point)

Anyways, the independence process was an effect of the collapse of the Central Powers, revolution in Russia and a wise compromise between the politicians who were CP and Entente oriented after the November 11th 1918.

So, while "we" are fighting mostly for the Entente and Trupo fights for Franz Joseph and Wilhelm II, we shall meet and reunite together somewhere in late 1918/early 1919 😄

Edited by 1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1