Suggestion for marker to make VR online easier.

So, have been playing online for a time with my 5k+, it has become apparent that it is difficult to distinguish friend from foe, even up close. I want to suggest a second type of marker to the one we have, where the aircraft is bracketed from long distance. I want to se a second type, that is only visible from short distance, lets say 200m, consisting of a single dot, of red or blue color, depending on faction.

As i se it, this is not a "cheat", only a way to overcome limitation in current tech, and will enhance playability for everyone flying VR.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

For us VR users this would be totally fair, since the monitor guys are zooming in and out like crazy,  which is totally unrealisitc and nonsense in my opinion. I don´t zoom in VR because it is not realistic and totally kills the immersion. 

The zoom in option should be completely removed from the game, both for monitor and VR.

Edited by spitfirejoe
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 5
On 10/12/2019 at 5:28 PM, BoomBoy said:

So, have been playing online for a time with my 5k+, it has become apparent that it is difficult to distinguish friend from foe, even up close. I want to suggest a second type of marker to the one we have, where the aircraft is bracketed from long distance. I want to se a second type, that is only visible from short distance, lets say 200m, consisting of a single dot, of red or blue color, depending on faction.

As i se it, this is not a "cheat", only a way to overcome limitation in current tech, and will enhance playability for everyone flying VR.

Thank you Axurit for linking to my thread. 

Follow the points in my thread for the Pimax, leave nothing out - it may take you 30 minutes once - and you will be able to ID planes starting from 5km distance, like any monitor-player can. 

The first part is specifically for the 5K+.

😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I fly VR so when I say this it is not to start a quarrel. 
I spent a couple of years on the fence before I reluctantly went for VR. In my case a Rift S

when I made the choice I already considered the drawbacks. And there are many. I could use a second screen for mission planner. 
what you guys call bs zooming is indeed needed. Because what we see in VR or screen is not what the real pilots saw. We hav targets rendering insufficiently and landmarks are blurry at relative short distances. 
This is why zoom is far from a cheat, it is a bad compensation for virtual problems compared to reality. 
In bombers and recce they had binoculars too for help. 
I am not in favor for “compansate” VR users because it do not seem to be more ff out in servers. It shows no signs that VR disadvantage is greater than the advantages

• Upvote 1

I use VR Zoom at 3x, which gives around the same visual detail (on my Rift CV1) as I get on my monitor.  Much more zoom than that and it gets too tempting to use, but the image moves around so much it isn't actually that much use. Spotting is still best when zoomed out in VR, the way it should be. I don't use zoom much at all.

Considering that the 3Dmigoto mod exists I see no reason for OP's idea - if it didn't exist then I would like the idea (in fact I already made a mod for DCS that did just that).

Hi, Fenris.

What does it mean when you say "bind each eye together" When i use zoom, I get a boss eyed view. Presuming there is something I don't get right.

And about helping VR players, it is not really about that. The reason I play flight sim now, is really about VR, and the immersion it offers. Adding to the playability of it, can only make the game more popular, to the benefit of all

Edited by BoomBoy
added last part
On 10/12/2019 at 12:14 PM, BoomBoy said:

The distance is open for debate, the idea is to enhance identifiability without giving any tactical advantages.

There was a mod that did something like this - reduced the icon to only the triangle.  Not working with the latest code but hopefully will be updated soon.

40 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

There was a mod that did something like this - reduced the icon to only the triangle.  Not working with the latest code but hopefully will be updated soon.

I'd swear it's still working on my il2 as of last week ;)

10 hours ago, BoomBoy said:

Hi, Fenris.

What does it mean when you say "bind each eye together" When i use zoom, I get a boss eyed view. Presuming there is something I don't get right.

And about helping VR players, it is not really about that. The reason I play flight sim now, is really about VR, and the immersion it offers. Adding to the playability of it, can only make the game more popular, to the benefit of all

Bind each eye together : contrast settings in pitool.

Boss eyed : I assume you mean cross-eyed : you didn't follow my guide precisely but deviated from it. You might have used large FOV, Parallel Projection  on, or not pitool 180, or downloaded the wrong mod file. 

12 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

11 hours ago, OrLoK said:

I'd swear it's still working on my il2 as of last week ;)

If you're talking about the Icons mod then I can confirm that it works just fine on the current version. It wasn't affected by the patch.

Totally agree with OP - I wish for such a feature for a long time but it seems that most monitor users don't want us to have it.

It is unrealistic they say and keep on turning their heads 180* backwards while flying a 5G loop...

While we VR players have to do the effort and actually turn our heads in real time!

I have to grin when I watch all those youtube videos of people flying online "full real" constantly turning their head like an owl while doing the craziest maneuvres.

But a small red or blue dot appearing in like 500m is being called "arcade". 

Spotting is the only thing that keeps me from flying MP (again) since it is just such a big disadvantage when you have to ID a plane from 200m or closer. 

With the new patch spotting is improved a great deal but ID-ing is still too hard to be competitive.

• Upvote 2