Sign in to follow this  
Legioneod

P-51 Exhaust Cowling.

The panel near the exhaust in-game is incorrect I think. In game it narrows and is smaller than irl. As you can see from the pics the exhaust panel/cowling in-game is much too narrow and tapers as it goes towards the nose.

The panel below it also in a bit odd, it stretches out as it goes towards the nose.

tripp51gathering-cripes_a_mighty.jpg

Capture11.thumb.PNG.31a6c3d6093fba9bad11ab5df5275e5d.PNG

• Upvote 1

This panel is too narrow. Should be wider. Not sure if this can be fixed with the template or not.

Capture11.thumb.PNG.fb9dde35dee10a07c86dfd5fb02ff8f4.PNG

The panel is part of the skin. There is now a template if you don't like it you can change it. 

Maybe you could update it, but make sure you get the exact number of rivets right, otherwise someone would complain.

Edited by Tyberan
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Tyberan said:

The panel is part of the skin. There is now a template if you don't like it you can change it. 

Maybe you could update it, but make sure you get the exact number of rivets right, otherwise someone would complain.

It's more than just the template, you'd have to change the normal as well (I think) which I don't know how to do.

It may seem insignificant but it makes it impossible/hard to do some skins correctly (like the one I'm doing, I had to leave certain aspects of the skin out due to the incorrect panel.)

Edited by Legioneod

25 minutes ago, CrazeeJane said:

does it REALLY matter...I mean...REALLY???

If there is a proveable issue, yes. There have been a number of other planes that have had visual issues like this revised after someone pointed out a problem (e.g., MiG-3, Spitfire IX).

26 minutes ago, CrazeeJane said:

just fly the damn thing for crise sake

Plenty people are. Relax, dude. :) 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

If there is a proveable issue, yes. There have been a number of other planes that have had visual issues like this revised after someone pointed out a problem (e.g., MiG-3, Spitfire IX).

Plenty people are. Relax, dude. :) 

Now, this is the Luke we all waited for years..............oh wait...

48 minutes ago, CrazeeJane said:

Looks pretty much the same to me...does it REALLY matter...I mean...REALLY???...just fly the damn thing for crise sake

Like I said, it may not seem like a huge issue for someone who just flys around but for me personally it cause problems when making skins for the aircraft.

It's a small issue, I can work aroud it but it's a pain when trying to do an accurate paint scheme.

On 10/12/2019 at 11:42 PM, Legioneod said:

This panel is too narrow. Should be wider. Not sure if this can be fixed with the template or not.

Capture11.thumb.PNG.fb9dde35dee10a07c86dfd5fb02ff8f4.PNG

It's absolutely unacceptable!!! If you look well some screws are on the plate and missing in the  skin template. 😞

Yes I repeat unacceptable. Yes Ladies and Gentleman  a real SCANDALOUS mistake !! 🤢

Sure it is DANGEROUS, for us pilots, the plate could fly away in 20G manoeuvers! 😱

Okay, let's pause and smile a little here. 🙂 

Making high quality 4K templates are a pretty difficult work (I tried and I am not good at it).

So let's thank those who invest time and do them. 

One has to be careful when comparing. We do not know on what original material the skinner  has worked.

And unfortunately two same planes have very often different details. The more one goes into details and the more differences there are.

These are not planes rolling from a factory production line in series. These are old unique planes and not two are identical.

If you look at historical pictures of combat planes again a lot of differences, due to use and abuse, combat damages repaired in the field, etc.

You have also to consider that even if you have the plane you want to copy right in front of you, the skin you will build has to wrap on the geometry of the simulated airplane frame, which again is not exactly the same as the original frame geometry. As a result you may stretch a little here, thin a little there etc.. It is a compromise between imperfections and finally the time to spend for this work has also a limit. 

The shininess and mirror polish of the original compared to the in game skin is much more visible than the plate detail that I would never had detected.

But again this difference in polish makes no difference to the overall visual quality of the skin. We do not need to compare picture to have the pleasure to fly the thing.

And you are welcome to do your skin and show us your talent. I would be very happy to fly your "perfect" plane.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

These are not planes rolling from a factory production line in series.

No?

Page-87.jpg

I see what you are seeing. The panel line needs to be moved. While this is pretty simple to do in the template and normal map, it will require the template to be changed and downloaded again along with normal maps. Everyone will have to remake their skins again. I would suggest to go over the whole thing and try to collect all the errors for one single update.

Icky, in this particular example, you don't seem to know what you're talking about. What's being discussed are lines where one airframe metal sheet meets the other. These are result of layout of stringers, longerons and bulkheads in the fuselage, so yes, as long as the version is the same, they were / are located in pretty much exactly the same place on every airplane (within standard metal manufacturing tolerances).

Not an issue for me, as I don't make skins, but I understand why it might be a problem for skin artists indeed. Since the official template is still yet to be released, now it's the best time to fix these mapping errors.

2 hours ago, Elem said:

No?

Page-87.jpg

I know this picture. Those in the picture are indeed rolling out from a production line.

But this was in 1940's. 

I wanted to say that those we have today are indeed not rolling from a production line and can be very dissimilar depending on the long history they have behind them.

Those we have today are survivors fighting not the war anymore but the passing time and ravages of old age unfortunately.

A big cheer of recognition to all individuals and associations that fight to keep'em flying.

Why are ya'll getting so upset about someone pointing stuff like this out?

Yeah it's pretty miniscule and hardly vital, but the sole reason of why sims exist is to get everything right, or at least everything that's possible to get right. 

Now, lemme make sure the tire grooves are all in the right places.

Theres seems to be a lot of hypocrisy. No one has claimed that this issue is game breaking, but this is a simulator that we're all playing. All details ought to be accounted for, and pointed out, otherwise where do we draw the line for "acceptable error"? 

7 hours ago, HeckPupper said:

Now, lemme make sure the tire grooves are all in the right places.

I was already on it. Turns out there were several different types of tyres with differing tread patterns. The one we have is historical.

Edited by Danziger

I'll throw another issue out there:  The wing shouldn't be natural metal even on an unpainted version.  The forward third of the wing was puttied so no fasteners or seems would be visible, then two coats of sandable primer were sprayed on the upper surface and one coat on the lower surface and then all was sanded and painted silver.  The silver paint used was the same as used on the rudder and the unfilled and unsanded wingtips while the flaps, ailerons and gas tank panels were not smoothed or painted.

Hey, here's some visuals  --  Google Images:  p-51d wing filled painted

Here's a Pic of Sierra Sue II: 

AirExpo 2018 - P-51D - Sierra Sue II

Edited by chuter
Picture of Sierra Sue II
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, chuter said:

I'll throw another issue out there:  The wing shouldn't be natural metal even on an unpainted version.  The forward third of the wing was puttied so no fasteners or seems would be visible, then two coats of sandable primer were sprayed on the upper surface and one coat on the lower surface and then all was sanded and painted silver.  The silver paint used was the same as used on the rudder and the unfilled and unsanded wingtips while the flaps, ailerons and gas tank panels were not smoothed or painted.

Hey, here's some visuals  --  Google Images:  p-51d wing filled painted

I wonder how long this lasted in the field? I've seen ww2 photos of P-51s and you can see the panel lines, etc on the wings.

13 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

I wonder how long this lasted in the field? I've seen ww2 photos of P-51s and you can see the panel lines, etc on the wings.

There are a few pics from WW2 showing the silver paint being worn through down to the primer and, maybe, the metal when some camouflaged planes had their paint removed with the onset of winter snow on the continent.  Some ground crews removed the paint with gas filled rags which kind of removed a bit extra in places it looks like.