Sign in to follow this  
666GIAP_Chimango

Clostermann Tempy "Le grand Charles" needs some love

Hi guys; as the title says, it'd be great to have a more detailed -than the default in game we have- tempest skin for the famous Clostermann's. Old il2 1946 had a great one made like the historic one, with kill marks, Lorraine cross, and everything else. Would be nice if some skilled skinner could make it for us Tempy lovers!

legrandcharles.jpg

ob_1a25f3_tumblr-ndpo6ml1b81sad9oeo1-128y9oUB1k.jpg

tempest-v-pierre-clostermann-detail1.jpg

I've just found a screenshot i made years ago for an old campaign in il2 1946; this skin was a masterpiece, it was spot on...it's a good reference

EPyPEfT.jpg

oops, sorry! I've just realized it's already made by Szelljr; his post page #26 => 

THX MAN!

Edited by ECV56_Chimango
  • Like 2

I'll try to add Lorraine cross and victory marking..

But I have to find the whole skin somewhere...

sHello,

Good evening,

To make skins operational aircraft Pierre Closterman, get these 2 reviews, there are many photos, profiles and color analysis planes used.

The famous Tempest photo with the cross of Lorraine take after the war and does not correspond to the paintings of the planes used during the war.

couv227b.jpg

151.jpg

Edited by MarcoPegase44
  • Thanks 1

Guys, my OP was edited minutes after i posted it when i realized the skin had been already made. Check at the end of that first post and you'll find a link to @szelljr skin, and also you can find Raptoattacker skin on this post page 8 => 

Thanks to both skinners for their great job!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECV56_Chimango said:

Thanks to both skinners for their great job!

Bear in mind that there were several 'Le Grand Charles', he just took to putting this on his mounts sort of later on in the war. I can't actually remember what the story was behind the name offhand but it's the sign of a man with a sense of humour anyway! ;)

18 minutes ago, Raptorattacker said:

Bear in mind that there were several 'Le Grand Charles', he just took to putting this on his mounts sort of later on in the war. I can't actually remember what the story was behind the name offhand but it's the sign of a man with a sense of humour anyway! ;)

Clostermann wrote a book about his time as WW II pilot and as far as I remember he mentioned there that the name refers to Charles DeGaulle which was a leading figure for the frenchmen who fought on the allied side

This may sound like nitpicking/rivet counting/flat out annoying but a lot of people get the roundels wrong when they do Clostermann's aircraft. On 3 January 1945 the high command issued an order that all 2TAF aircraft have their roundels changed to C1 type on all surfaces, the tail bands be removed and spinners painted black. Skinners, modelers and profile artists have all made the mistake of painting up NV724 with the 1944 scheme which consisted of B roundels on the upper surfaces, C1's on the fuselage sides and C's on the lower wings.

NV724, as in the original post:

legrandcharles.jpg

If you look at the upper wing, you can see the white center ring in the roundel, which would mean its either a C or C1. Also note the lack of tail band means it is after the 3 Jan 1945 order and the 3 Sqn badge on the tail is indicative that this is summer 1945, after hostilities.

Sorry if it comes across as complaining, but I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, details are my life.

Edited by Megalax

The "Le Grand Charles" was only nv994 wich had not the croix de Lorainne painted on the radiator .

NV724 on the above photograph had victory markings, croix de Lorainne and black spinner...

• Like 1