Han

Developer Diary 233 - Discussion

Super pretty clouds guys. Great work, and from a Canadian, happy thanksgiving!¬†ūüćó

Speaking about clouds...

Double layer clouds were added some time ago but they are available only with¬† "Heavy" weather. ūüėē

It would be great to have them with every kind of weather...

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

I will not tolerate such extreme comments that say our clouds are BROKEN. They are NOT BROKEN, you simply do not understand why there is this issue. I don't want to get into a huge technical discussion here, but we know why this happens and it's unavoidable with how we currently render our scenes. I'm sure I have explained this before. It's simply a technical limitation because of how we draw the clouds and the planes. The only way to try and alleviate this issue is to change how we render all our scenes and employ what is called 'deferred rendering', which in theory will work. Remember I have ONE graphics programmer and he wears many hats and his work touches many aspects of the product so he is always swamped. He is well aware of this issue with clouds and he also hopes he can find the time to eventually work on deferred rendering. 

Jason 

it’s strange for me to hear when u tell me that a bug its a normal and it is not broken. if I can’t see the plane in the background of the cloud or hide in the cloud from an enemy attack because the screw shines through the clouds from any distance, this is a bug, these are not working clouds.

Apparently, the local audience likes to fly without seeing the enemy point blank because of invisibility.  they are ready to continue to fly like this for many years.  well, time will tell who is right

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, STOIKIY said:

it’s strange for me to hear when u tell me that a bug its a normal and it is not broken. if I can’t see the plane in the background of the cloud or hide in the cloud from an enemy attack because the screw shines through the clouds from any distance, this is a bug, these are not working clouds.

Apparently, the local audience likes to fly without seeing the enemy point blank because of invisibility.  they are ready to continue to fly like this for many years.  well, time will tell who is right

It is apparently not as bad as you want to put it. It works. It just could be looking nicer in the situations you mention. So no,¬†it‚Äės not broken. It¬†works within its technical¬†limits. It would be a bug if it didn‚Äėt do what it should within it technical limits.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

Yeah the SteamVR update coincided with the patch, which is why it didn't impact me and my friends who are all on Opencomposite

I checked and supersample filtering was already off for me, and I run steam VR beta.

5 hours ago, enyak said:

Newbie question: Does this mean we're getting a new patch this week? Or is that a feature for the big final Bodenplatte patch that is ~a month away?

Will most likely be released with the next patch, which most likely will include the final release of Bodenplatte. My guess would be mid to end of November, 4-6 weeks from now on.

11 minutes ago, STOIKIY said:

I cannot help it if your brain cannot understand between what a limitation of technology is and what is a true bug. Therefore what you have posted is just an opinion. And positive opinions about our products have kept us in business for over 10 years. 

Jason 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 15

14 minutes ago, STOIKIY said:

I dont think "we" like or do not like X thing. But I DO understand this is a game, a virtual representation of something. Not reality. And a very good one at that.

Most are aweare of the issues, and the explanations of why.

Do I wish the game to improuve? YES! 

Do I have DEMANDS to the Developers? HELL NO! I already have had my money's worth of fun, many times over.

Do you understand that your posture is not helping anyone?

Not the players, not the Developers, and certainly not yourself.

I believe we all need to accept the limitations and reality of this software,  I do, and enjoy it 100%

Cheers!

• Upvote 8

That was a fast update!  No rest for the wicked around here.  Looking forward to the new clouds and rendering distances.  Tank crew sounds exciting.  I have a vision of the future where tanks and infantry battle below and aircraft fight above them on these gorgeous maps.  

You'll never get rid of me then.¬† ūüėĄ

17 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

I cannot help it if your brain cannot understand between what a limitation of technology is and what is a true bug. Therefore what you have posted is just an opinion. And positive opinions about our products have kept us in business for over 10 years. 

Jason 

Clouds rendering is not the only issue with OUR sim. What about very limited netcode? Do you have one guy for that too? What about the appereance of microstutters then and now after big updates? It happens on strong rigs also...In the past some combination of video settings helped...now it just doesnt work for many of us...new map is a problem for everybody afaik..

Please let us donate for more workers or we can shut down MP all together...I imagine carriers wouldnt work well in pto scenario on current netcode....

PS: I like new planes and FMs.

ohh Im already getting fans on this post...ppl think caring is rant..

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Have you tried Opencomposite? I had a noticeable performance boost when I ditched SteamVR

Can you give some guidance how to switch from steamvr to opencomposite?

Thnx!

Just now, PicksKing said:

@=VARP=Tvrdi As I remember the micro stuttering has already been discussed and clearified what to do.

And suggestions worked for some....a few...do you have an advice how to deal with them?

Hey Jason, any word on the Repair/Rearm/Refuel being updated? Are you guys going to add newer features like change skin or loadout? Will the feature be better optimized to run on MP servers? I'd like to see this more in MP but I think many servers feel it's not where it should be and have decided to leave out this feature until it is in a better state.

@EAF_Ribbon @=VARP=Tvrdi Sorry guys. No clue about VR and I never had any issue with stuttering but my settings were already the way jason suggested. In GPU control panel let the application decide about vsync. No fast mode or such crap. I think the people are messing around with the nvidia control panel too much anyway. So the best is you leave everything in there at default. And ingame activate vsync, fullscreen on and set your target fps to your monitor refresh rate. Thats what I remember. And btw I still have nvidia driver 436.02. Maybe this fact might be crucial.

Edit: Ah. Found it!

Edited by PicksKing
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PicksKing said:

@EAF_Ribbon @=VARP=Tvrdi Sorry guys. No clue about VR and I never had any issue with stuttering but my settings were already the way jason suggested. In GPU control panel let the application decide about vsync. No fast mode or such crap. I think the people are messing around with the nvidia control panel too much anyway. So the best is you leave everything in there at default. And ingame activate vsync, fullscreen on and set your target fps to your monitor refresh rate. Thats what I remember.

Edit: Ah. Found it!

This method worked for me very well. I went from having lots of stutters over cities to being able to run 8 bombers vs. 8 fighters over Antwerp in a QMB with minimal stuttering. Stuttering in MP is lower too. Previously having the game in windowed mode made for less stutters, now its the opposite.

1 hour ago, pfrances said:

Super pretty clouds guys. Great work, and from a Canadian, happy thanksgiving!¬†ūüćó

Another great DD thanks.  @pfrances happy thanksgiving, we are in Vancouver BC visiting and meeting up with some friends.

• Thanks 1

Great update and and so quickly after a MASSIVE game changer(for me,anyway) Looking back through some of the threads i cant see what people have to moan about,the Devs are doing a great job. I suppose someone will always whinge about something,always will happen i suppose.   Great job Gents and im finally thinking about getting back into it.

I will post here so I can help others. I tested only 15 mins in MP but I can already have a picture how it will be. 60 players online both in WOL and Combatbox servers. With unticked 4k textures I didnt have stutters. For now.....also I reduced horizon distance frmo 100 to 70 km but I think the 4k textures did the trick since it was other way around last time as stutters fix. I still need to test in furball.....

Strange engine this game has....

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

Noticed there's no "Extreme" cloud setting yet.  

Jason/Han - Any word on when this will hit?  VR guys are super excited for this cloud fix (FPS specifically).

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, =BES=Savage-6 said:

Jason/Han - Any word on when this will hit?  VR guys are super excited for this cloud fix (FPS specifically).

Thanks!

Wait next game update

15 minutes ago, =BES=Savage-6 said:

Thanks!

I’m sorry, but you are confused. It’s not a fix for anything. Just a small enhancement.

Jason

58 minutes ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

I will post here so I can help others. I tested only 15 mins in MP but I can already have a picture how it will be. 60 players online both in WOL and Combatbox servers. With unticked 4k textures I didnt have stutters. For now.....also I reduced horizon distance frmo 100 to 70 km but I think the 4k textures did the trick since it was other way around last time as stutters fix. I still need to test in furball.....

Strange engine this game has....

This is not a technical thread. Take this elsewhere please. 

Jason

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I always find it quite strange, how little emphesis is dedicated to clouds, it is after all the enviroment in which we play, rather than just the thing we fly over.  It's not a criticism of BoX

in particular, but combat flight sims in general.  If 777 want to dedicate resources to new tech then my vote is 100% hiding somewhere behind the cloud.

• Upvote 1

I am loving the game, loving the newest planes, the maps, the details of scenery, the physics of flight...

As an American who grew up dreaming of US WW2 warbirds, having a flyable P51 is a special treat that I have been waiting for a long time.

Thanks to the team for making this happen.

RE clouds and other details: On the one hand, yes, it is great to always want the game to be better or even perfect; on the other,  understanding the limits of resources and respecting the complexities of the programming to model this virtual world is necessary.

• Upvote 1

Appreciate the work, gents - thank you very much! :)

• Sad 1

One thing is certain, no matter what the devs do some people will never be happy.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Archie said:

One thing is certain, no matter what the devs do some people will never be happy.

How true.

Jason & devs - I for one am just grateful for any development of a modern standards ww1/2 flight sim today, some 20 years after I first felt that thrill of combat flight in EAW/Janes WW2f. 

Regards

M

7 hours ago, Elem said:

Did you actually read the DD...

"the Soviet self-propelled artillery SU-122" 

I was replying to the post I quoted, not the DD.

4 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Can you give some guidance how to switch from steamvr to opencomposite?

Thnx!

You may not need to do that.

I appear to have solved my problem with blurry visuals and lack of sharpness in VR since the last patch.

It had not occurred to me before to actually increase my settings, but that is what has solved it for me.  It would appear that Jason and team did such a good job with the new patch that I have actually been able to increase my settings to give me better visual quality and still get acceptable fps. 

I had been running conservative in-game graphic settings thinking that is what I needed to do to keep acceptable fps.  But in fact I have been able to increase my settings and still maintain fps.  Nice one dev's :)

I don't want to clog up this thread, so please find the link below covering the solutions that worked for me:

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman
  • Thanks 1

Cloud improvements looking good. That Panther looks even better!! Drooling just looking at it.

8 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

The blurriness has not been fixed and is something that was introduced with the IL-2 GB patch.  Turning off SupersamplingFiltering is not a solution for all, for something that changed in the graphics with IL-2 GB.  In short, not blurry before the patch and not blurry with other titles.

Happy landings,

Talisman 

Well I got detailed landscape back and spotting beyond 2km like it was prior patch so for me it is fixed.

I can also again see crisp ground vehicles and targets.

My settings in steamvr user settings file

"steamvr" : {
      "allowSupersampleFiltering" : false,
      "background" : "#FF000000",
      "enableDistortion" : false,
      "enableHomeApp" : false,
      "installID" : "2329656033398071845",
      "lastVersionNotice" : "1.7.15",
      "lastVersionNoticeDate" : "1568937933",
      "maxRecommendedResolution" : 8192,
      "preferredRefreshRate" : 72,
      "supersampleScale" : 0.5

Good job!

Jason, have you thought about using physically based rendering or new shaders? 

Nice to see that the devs are not only focusing on bringing on new stuff, but are also trying to improve existing features.

Much appreciated! :good:

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

You may not need to do that.

If you've got a Rift or a Rift S Open Composite is a must.

3 hours ago, BRZ513 said:

Good job!

Jason, have you thought about using physically based rendering or new shaders? 

Yes of course. Someday we’ll be able to do it.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

Would you consider to add to the development roadmap to some near(ish) future on-line server major overhaul to cater more massively multiplayer servers than we currently have 80ish of on-line players to hundreds or so? I know this is a major redesign and recoding work, but business wise, this could pay dividends by enabling 24/7 dynamic strategic larger scale warfare somewhat like for example WW2 Online has. This would keep people coming back and be entertained on and on :)

PS. I need you to kick your friends from the DigitalForms on the buttocks to enable my relaxing day at the SPAA every now and then.¬†ūüėČ

Edited by LLv44_Damixu

On 10/11/2019 at 4:36 PM, flyingfisch said:

they're arguably the best clouds in any combat flight simulator to date.

I really love the dev team for improving the clouds visuals, IMHO they are really important in a flight sim, since sky is our roads.

In the last 20 years I probably have taken more than 500 flights for work, and I can still spend more than an hour in the window looking how nice are the clouds/light, etc, like the first time.

Every effort to improve the IL-2 clouds and performance is really welcomed. Many thanks for this!!

But, but,... I need to admit that the IL-2 clouds are not the best. Please just take a look of Battlefield1 video I made in this post (Of course, BF1 is more an arcade sim, but what the hell, waht a beatiful clouds!):

Edited by chiliwili69

Give team that kined of budget and ppl to work on it, and they would do it better then Battlefield 1 team did.

And then company would bankrupt as they cant sell 10s of millions copys to justify that big budget.

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This sim evolved so much in the last 2years and keeps evolving which is great but the most important things i'd like to see is engine improvements regarding stutters and performance when there is high amount of units (player and AI) in scenery.

Believing PTO is next i hope those things are on schedule and priority so we can have even greater battles or at least current ones in VR with good performance!

Thanks and keep up the good work :)