Han

Developer Diary 233 - Discussion

Would it possible to have even slighty different faces for the tank crews, those triplets looking out of the hatches are spooky...!

• Haha 1

Thx, for the new cloud settings.

To Tank Crew don't get me wrong the tanks looks great, but to perfect / new.

No bent mudguard, scratch or visible repairs.

They don't seem to be used at all, but tanks where repaired a lot, even when they get disabled.

Will we get some sort of camouflage like bushes or flags on top of our tanks?

image.png.97bc61eaf782f6d74fc5ef66639b7bac.pngimage.png.420d9ba00a1113397aa1fe366cc0f74e.pngimage.thumb.png.587c2a63c42d20452f4b87a9f059366d.pngimage.thumb.png.fcb96c5a78adce37e849fa18cb6c1d52.png

Edited by smee_ger_ac
  • Upvote 1

It is great you improved the clouds. Screennshots looks beautiful. Even a small improvement concerning clouds rendering would be very welcomed. 👍

Edited by Tapi

stop delete my messages from chat please.

is this a diary of developers about clouds? So my message may be here.

I’m not too lazy to write again.

In a car simulator, the main thing is the car and the road. In an aircraft simulator, this is a plane and weather, the sky.

How can you already sell 4 games in a row with broken clouds?

Jason, you personally promised me in 2017 at the announcement of the Kuban (TS-3) that you would raise this issue in priority.

And now I see that my uncomfortable messages are deleted? okay...

Do not delete my uncomfortable posts please. Be honest. Tell me right when the clouds will work correctly in the flight simulator?

P.S Once again. The message relates to the topic of discussion of the diary and therefore may be here

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 4

Increased optimization on the clouds is great! I probably won't be able to run extreme clouds but if I can squeeze a bit more performance out of the existing ones that would be excellent.

• Upvote 2

Excellent, certainly didn't expect a DD this week! Think it's time I got TC as well.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Finkeren said:

The tanks look super nice - with and without skin. Can't wait to smoke a few of those big cats with a 122mm howitzer.

bUt ThE sU-122 iSn’T a TaNk It’S aN aSsAuLt GuN

Sorry, AFV pedantry :P

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, STOIKIY said:

In a car simulator, the main thing is the car and the road. In an aircraft simulator, this is a plane and weather, the sky.

Jason, you personally promised me in 2017 at the announcement of the Kuban (TS-3) that you would raise this issue in priority.

Reveal hidden contents

Do not delete my uncomfortable posts please. Be honest. Tell me right when the clouds will work correctly in the flight simulator?

P.S Once again. The message relates to the topic of discussion of the diary and therefore may be here

I would argue functioning guns and reasonably accurate flight and damage models take precedence over clouds being 100% realistic instead of reasonably accurate in a combat flight simulator, but what do I know.

Edited by PainGod85
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 9

Oh look, another "update" 🙄

Jeeze, guys, give it a rest! I'm trying to be lazy here and you all keep working so amazingly hard, making me look terrible!

I'm not a tank guy by nature, but the TC stuff looks amazing!

Performance of and new clouds is great addition. What would be even greater is  to give mission creators abality to create and shape clouds in free way in their missions.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Sorry, AFV pedantry :P

Did you actually read the DD...

"the Soviet self-propelled artillery SU-122" 

4 minutes ago, Elem said:

Did you actually read the DD...

"the Soviet self-propelled artillery SU-122" 

Always so nice to see artillery pieces doin' it for themselves. They don't need no tow truck!

Jason, you're not wrong with VR and issues that pertain to it.  Spent the second half of this week testing and rectifying VR on my new rig.

In a word though, when running right - VR is Gorgeous!!! 👍

At the moment I have settled on Medium Clouds but would be happy to return to High with the new tweaks.  When you fly a early morning or late afternoon mission and you have multi layered clouds with low sun - breath taking it is.

Now, with VR, if Valve would let us know when they introduce new filters with SteamVR - that would be a nice help.  Pity Il2 doesn't run its own Open Composite embedded so we can not rely on SteamVR as a part of the equation.  Oh well, learn to live with it but it has caused a furor recently with many VR users due to blurriness which for me has been traced to "allowSupersampleFiltering"

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Performance of and new clouds is great addition. What would be even greater is  to give mission creators abality to create and shape clouds in free way in their missions.

I doubt you'll ever see that given the huge variety of settings already available and the fact that you can go in and "mod" to your heart's content if you want to change the clouds further.

About the only thing that might constitute a major omission is the difficulty/inability to believably create tall cumulonimbus clouds. There's much about the new cloud system in IL-2 that is better than ROF, and it is certainly easier to mod, however the complex nature of the clouds in ROF gave pretty much limitless potential to create clouds any shape/size you wanted with nothing more than than windows note pad.

When I put out my sky mods for ROF much of my cloud modding was done laid in bed with pencil and paper, and once I'd an idea of what I was looking to achieve I'd just type up a mass of coordinates as a text document to feed into ROF... the new game engine is much more user friendly in terms of cloud modding just not as expansive in terms of possibilities.

HH

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Lovely plumage.

23 minutes ago, blitze said:

Jason, you're not wrong with VR and issues that pertain to it.  Spent the second half of this week testing and rectifying VR on my new rig.

In a word though, when running right - VR is Gorgeous!!! 👍

At the moment I have settled on Medium Clouds but would be happy to return to High with the new tweaks.  When you fly a early morning or late afternoon mission and you have multi layered clouds with low sun - breath taking it is.

Now, with VR, if Valve would let us know when they introduce new filters with SteamVR - that would be a nice help.  Pity Il2 doesn't run its own Open Composite embedded so we can not rely on SteamVR as a part of the equation.  Oh well, learn to live with it but it has caused a furor recently with many VR users due to blurriness which for me has been traced to "allowSupersampleFiltering"

The blurriness has not been fixed and is something that was introduced with the IL-2 GB patch.  Turning off SupersamplingFiltering is not a solution for all, for something that changed in the graphics with IL-2 GB.  In short, not blurry before the patch and not blurry with other titles.

Happy landings,

Talisman 

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman

1 minute ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Turning off Supersampling is not a solution for all,

Supersample filtering. You don't turn off supersampling itself, just the blur filter on the result that was added in the SteamVR patch.

Or just use opencomposite.

3 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Supersample filtering. You don't turn off supersampling itself, just the blur filter on the result that was added in the SteamVR patch.

Are you talking about beta or release version or both, because I cannot find a blur filter option on SteamVR?  I am using the release version of Steam VR, not beta.

A heap of VR users are having problems with the blurring issue introduced with the last patch.

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman

1 minute ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Are you talking about beta or release version or both, because I cannot find a blur filter option on SteamVR?  I am using the release version of Steam VR, not beta.

A heap of VR users are having problems with the blurring issue introduced with the last patch.

Talisman

Have you tried Opencomposite? I had a noticeable performance boost when I ditched SteamVR

12 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Have you tried Opencomposite? I had a noticeable performance boost when I ditched SteamVR

No.  But the point I am making is that blurry graphics in VR is an issue since the last patch.  Many VR users are trying to cope with this issue at the moment; fine before the patch, but worse after.

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman
  • Like 1

Is by any chance cinematic option turned on insted off, and thats cousing blurry effect

Those clouds look fantastic and that is one sexy Cat if i ever saw one. 

Edited by Asgar

3 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

Is by any chance cinematic option turned on insted off, and thats cousing blurry effect

Thanks for the thought, but covered that.

Talisman

I love the clouds! They look great!

It's changes like this that have an impact across the whole series that really make the biggest effects. This is more subtle than the new max 160km render distance that Battle of Kuban introduced but this still has a big visual impact or a performance impact. Great work team! I know the aliasing issue is a toughie that we hope to see solved sometime but in the meantime these are great steps forward.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

No.  But the point I am making is that blurry graphics in VR is an issue since the last patch.  Many VR users are trying to cope with this issue at the moment; fine before the patch, but worse after.

Talisman

Yeah the SteamVR update coincided with the patch, which is why it didn't impact me and my friends who are all on Opencomposite

3 hours ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

There was a call some time ago in the German Forum for German Speech Lines for Tank Crew. So yes, I don't know how the Russian ones are doing but they are coming 😄

I hope so. To me, crew voices are more important than graphics or anything else, it adds the realism and fun that I except... 😁

The artistry on that SU-122 is mighty impressive.

Looking forward to upping the cloud level. It's great how the team keeps improving the overall experience. 👍

I am very disappointed by the new visibility since the last update as well as share the engine noise desMe 109 and the management of G.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Yeah the SteamVR update coincided with the patch, which is why it didn't impact me and my friends who are all on Opencomposite

I don't use the beta.  As I understand it, the beta was updated and not the release version that so many of us are using.

So, any coincidence is in relation to the beta, which does not apply to me and many others.

Happy landings,

Talisman

1 hour ago, STOIKIY said:

They can sell absolutely everything they want. If you buy it and complain about it, then Its totally your fault.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, STOIKIY said:

Reveal hidden contents

He promised to raise the issue in priority, not to fix it immediately. Raising it in priority may have been what caused research to be done to realize that it was a very difficult issue to solve, as Jason said in an earlier post. Also, in a combat flight simulator, tons of other things are more important than clouds. Flight models, weapon modelling, ballistics, engine simulation, aerodynamic simulation, etc. Thirdly the clouds are not broken, they're arguably the best clouds in any combat flight simulator to date. And since they are synced to the server and all players experience the same visual artifacts, the current cloud system is not unfair.

1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

How does one do this? I cannot find such a setting anywhere in SteamVR.

Great update Jason! Nice that you guys are working on the cloud tech.

I‘m looking forward to the new tanks as well. Personally, I always frowned upon tanks. But then I bought TC to support you (as I bought the rest already) and I have to admit, it is great fun!! It‘s gonna be a great game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, STOIKIY said:

Reveal hidden contents

I will not tolerate such extreme comments that say our clouds are BROKEN. They are NOT BROKEN, you simply do not understand why there is this issue. I don't want to get into a huge technical discussion here, but we know why this happens and it's unavoidable with how we currently render our scenes. I'm sure I have explained this before. It's simply a technical limitation because of how we draw the clouds and the planes. The only way to try and alleviate this issue is to change how we render all our scenes and employ what is called 'deferred rendering', which in theory will work. Remember I have ONE graphics programmer and he wears many hats and his work touches many aspects of the product so he is always swamped. He is well aware of this issue with clouds and he also hopes he can find the time to eventually work on deferred rendering. 

Jason 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 21

5 hours ago, Luftschiff said:

Jason, I know we have two separate layers of clouds, old pal! I was referring to a single stack of cloud rising multiple levels , like a pillar. 

That's not "levels"