Sign in to follow this  
il2crashesnfails

Do you fly straight and level on missions?

I usually just fly straight and level. What do you do? zig zag or change altitude often? 

Maybe doing that could have avoided what happened to me?

• Like 1

If there's ANY chance of enemy attention then don't fly straight for more than a few seconds otherwise what happened to you WILL happen. As far as landing goes, try this... it works and gets you down quick (and I mean QUICK!). If it can be done in a Thunderbolt then it's a piece of cake in a 109...

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, il2crashesnfails said:

I usually just fly straight and level. What do you do? zig zag or change altitude often? 

Maybe doing that could have avoided what happened to me?

When I fly solo, I do a gentle turn a few degrees left or right every 20-30 seconds or so to ensure that nobody is on my low six. This is in addition to scanning the rest of the sky for bandits, one section at a time, pausing shortly at each section to make sure I see any objects.

When I fly with a wingman, I usually fly in combat spread (side-by-side, separated by a mile or so) so that we can watch each others six, without having to turn to clear our six.

When I do get caught unawares, it's usually because I'm fixated on a target, looking for a navigation landmark, or looking at the map too long. You have to practice dividing your time in short amounts between navigating, scanning, and looking after your engine. 

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 2

First of all, don't pull up the nose that hight during cruise. Whenever you point higher than needed, you're just bleeding speed faster than climb ;)  Also, try to control the shaky moves. The smoother you are with the joystick, the better.

The main question itself was answered already: always expect somebody to use your lack of attention to their advantage. Whenever there is a possibility (and there always is), sooner or later a bandit will attack you. You just have to do all you can to minimize the risks.

Edited by RavN_Sone

13 hours ago, RavN_Sone said:

First of all, don't pull up the nose that hight during cruise. Whenever you point higher than needed, you're just bleeding speed faster than climb ;)  Also, try to control the shaky moves. The smoother you are with the joystick, the better.

The main question itself was answered already: always expect somebody to use your lack of attention to his advantage. Whenever there is a possibility (and there always is), sooner or later a bandit will attack you. You just have to do all you can to minimize the risks.

When I look at instruments I get really shaky!.