Sign in to follow this  
taffy2jeffmorgan

Aviation artist

Nice work. Some of it looks like 3d models that were used as a reference or base, could be wrong of course. Cool stuff though, wish I was that skilled.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Like 1

Absolutely no denying  the guys talent but I have always preferred the use of more traditional mediums. 

73f0aac8ae95d5831052962ba25d5d13.jpg

• Like 2

Thx mate. Instantly bookmarked his page! He has a really impressive style.

My new wallpaper:

piotr-forkasiewicz-strategic-command-dunkirk-00.jpg

• Like 2

I have always been a great fan of British aviation artist Robert Taylor, in fact i have a large framed print of his on my study wall " Dambusters The Impossible Mission "

But there' no denying, this young Polish artist has a great talent and a great future in aviation art. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

I may be preaching to the converted but, came across this young Polish aviation artist Piotr Forkasiewicz, https://www.artstation.com/peterfor have a look he is excellent .

Phantastic!

piotr-forkasiewicz-mustang-caroline-00.j

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

I have always been a great fan of British aviation artist Robert Taylor, in fact i have a large framed print of his on my study wall " Dambusters The Impossible Mission "

I've been a fan of his for years. There are definitely more technically advanced artists out there but (for me) there is a certain quality to his work that he seems to capture, that stirs my "artistic" emotions more than other artists.  

CoastInSight-RobertTaylor.thumb.jpg.678c0b203bbd1d5501be13d959892785.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

I didn't expect I find my works here :) Thank You guys for kind words!

P.S. Is here anyone that can reply to my thread / idea of new cinematic view in IL2? 

All the best

Piotr Forkasiewicz

16 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

I've been a fan of his for years. There are definitely more technically advanced artists out there but (for me) there is a certain quality to his work that he seems to capture, that stirs my "artistic" emotions more than other artists.  

CoastInSight-RobertTaylor.thumb.jpg.678c0b203bbd1d5501be13d959892785.jpg

Yes i agree, his paintings do not seem photographic, you can tell a Robert Taylor a mile away, he always seems to capture the moment.

Edited by taffy2jeffmorgan

19 hours ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

I bought a Taylor print back in 1988, signed by Adolf Galland #699/1250 The Abbeville Boys which started an expensive shopping spree of further print purchases. I agree that some artists have that atmospheric style about them, Taylor being one.

Another artist I like is Nicolas Trudgian who excels in the scenery aspect of the aviation print genre which in itself adds a lot of atmosphere. Winter Wolves signed by Walter Krupinski, Gerhard Schopfel and Eberhard Stephan.

TheAbbevilleBoysHi.jpg

fw190D9.jpg

Edited by bzc3lk

Trudgian must often wake up in a cold sweat, fearing he missed a spot on one of his paintings to add another haystack, distant aircraft or Choo Choo train.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Trudgian must often wake up in a cold sweat, fearing he missed a spot on one of his paintings to add another haystack, distant aircraft or Choo Choo train.  

I mean, I do that with my models when I realise I painted a wheel the wrong colour.

44 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

You can never have too many haystacks.

dhm2448.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, peter_f said:

Hi,

P.S. Is here anyone that can reply to my thread / idea of new cinematic view in IL2? 

All the best

Piotr Forkasiewicz

We have the artist himself here in the forums? 😀

• Upvote 1

Always nice to see aviation paintings! Have not seen these before. Thanks for posting.

I like the older medium a bit more though.

Long time ago I scanned this old picture on an model kit (Italeri?).

Always found this captivating. Something doomish with the orange/red sky and the details of a town and some barges below.

Fw 190 D scramble.png

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Heliopause said:

Long time ago I scanned this old picture on an model kit (Italeri?).

Always found this captivating. Something doomish with the orange/red sky and the details of a town and some barges below.

Fw 190 D scramble.png

Airfix, I think. I’m pretty sure that’s the art on my third ever model kit. My Dad built it for me, and I still have it in my cabinet :biggrin:

@peter_f isn’t just doing aviation art, look at this stunning piece! Makes me want to boot up SH5 again.

8297FC7D-ACA0-4ECF-8ECB-ADF310D3095E.thumb.jpeg.d3f2315767264e93a6fafffb95401e32.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Heliopause said:

Always nice to see aviation paintings! Have not seen these before. Thanks for posting.

I like the older medium a bit more though.

As a Dutchman do you know the old aircraft paintings by Thijs Postma?

I remember them from 70's/80's boys' magazines and model kits box-art.

Fokker-T-V-bombing-bridges-Dordrecht-13t

Since we have The Netherlands on the BOBP map + a P-38 isn't it about time for the Fokker G-1 to be included? :);)

Aah yes T. Postma offcourse!

Also a Dutchman: L. van 't Hof. Hardly heard of. I quess because these men already painted before the pc/internet era got started.

For the benefit of educating I shall post some of his work :biggrin:

Brewster.jpg

Do 24 painting.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 2:59 PM, peter_f said:

Hi,

All the best

Piotr Forkasiewicz

Then you are in good company here.

There are two other aviation artists around at the forums: rOEN911and Blitzen.

Both of them show their works in the topic below:

Not an aviation painting but man, I love old sailing ships. The is a very dramatic painting. Excellent work.

image.thumb.png.d04d0edc848cd77d6bf0bfd9101f3593.png

As an artist/illustrator myself, and one who's worked in 3D as well I admire the patience he has.

I did 3 aircraft, museum quality profile renderings, including a Mustang of the same level of detail and that's without all of the sky, environment etc...just isometric profile renders with lighting/reflections.

After that I was done, so I admire his tenacity. 

The Mustang alone took me 11 months.

His Mustang render needs some atmospheric interference to delineate the distance of the other 2 aircraft in the background, they are rendered exactly the same and illustratively that bothers me. See the painting that Semor76 posted to see what I mean. Other than that, I like it.

7 hours ago, Rjel said:

Not an aviation painting but man, I love old sailing ships. The is a very dramatic painting. Excellent work.

When it come to naval art, I really like Geoff Hunt. 

9fed942b5cffd9aaf76022e49bb5252f.thumb.jpg.669ad191b1ba1c7ab7234db6a3434d93.jpg

When it comes to transport art, my mother is a big fan of maritime paintings as she shares my artistic interest in the play of light and shadow and how it creates atmosphere in an image, my father is more of a rail enthusiast interested in accurate and detailed reproduction of a recognisable subject matter.

Anyway I've posted some of my own paintings before but here's a few of my own paintings done for family.

HH

The shout.jpg

Hot and cold water.jpg

ross revenge.jpg

loco shed at night.jpg

7 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

His Mustang render needs some atmospheric interference to delineate the distance of the other 2 aircraft in the background, they are rendered exactly the same and illustratively that bothers me. See the painting that Semor76 posted to see what I mean. Other than that, I like it.

Obviously "art" is a many and varied thing all down to personal preference where the only fair way to judge an artists ability is against how closely they achieve their own personal goals.

However I am with you on the above. There is a lot of transport art, be it aviation, military, maritime, motor sport etc. etc. that is about the technical aspects of accurately replicating a subject in detail with lots of "action" taking place, things which all too often seem to get in the way of what I recognise as creating an "artistic" image. I know the box art for old Airfix model kits is popular but I do view this "genre" as a classic example of the sort of style that does nothing for me personally.

It may be petty semantics that serves no purpose, but the vast majority of people that are called transport artists I prefer to think  of as technical illustrators. However if I were to pick out one name that in my own opinion towers above others in terms of being a truly great artist that happens to paint transport subjects, then that would be David Shepherd. He really knows how strip back a subject and atmospherically paint its raw character, rather than get bogged down in replicating every little detail.

• Upvote 1