Pict

Eye-point moves of it's own accord

17 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

IIRC I had that "sinking into cockpit" problem few months ago, and the solution was a settings in TrackIR software. Can't remember exactly what the solution to the problem was, but try limiting Z axis (next to "Invert") in your profile:

image.png.c5a58e3a8cf983ebd801a73592eeb081.png

...and its seems to me that we have a winner here!   YOU ARE THE BEST!!!👍

1 minute ago, Voidhunger said:

it seems we are at two bugs with one thread! :) good!

1 hour ago, Voidhunger said:

Happy to help, as I know how much it bothered me, and for how long. 🍻

Tried both suggestions. Seems like they both help! I’ll leave both saved. Thanks!

I've just spent a fair bit of time testing different Track IR profiles, making adjustments etc., etc. Just having the "limit" box ticked on the Z axis made no difference for me as it was already ticked to start with.

However I can say that tightening up the Track IR X and Z axis plus having the limit boxes ticked helps somewhat as it's effectively like tightening your harness. Although on it's own, tweaking the Track IR profile does not cure the problem, but simply reduces it by reducing your movement, I must say that I like having my harness good and tight, so have kept the latest profile.

A really weird thing happened in the middle of all of this when my input bindings for zoom, both internal and external that I had unbound, reset themselves to the default mouse wheel on their own !!! No other settings were affected....really odd stuff.

Additionally, any tweaking of the Track IR profile ignores the fact that VR users are also affected by this problem. So I wouldn't call it a day just yet.

Edited by Pict

Yep after more testing its seems to me that there is still problem with german planes. I have to sit very straight, without moving or crunching otherwise my view is lost.

There still some gforce to you head when you pull or push your joystick. I need to set up my view higher when I fly straight to somewhat eliminate view drop in push/pull movement.

I want to confirm that, with all the changes stated before, I still get the problem. I only get it a few times in several hours of playtime but it is still there.

That being siad, it is a ton better now with the twaks since it happens so much less frequently.

Maybe there are more "conflicting" bindings that I need to unbind? who knows...

Yeah, it's not gone yet, suppressed somewhat, but not gone all together.

I'm tempted to start with a clean slate, ie., removing all input bindings, everything, then just adding the absolute bare necessities and work forward from there.

On 10/13/2019 at 12:49 AM, SAG said:

Maybe there are more "conflicting" bindings that I need to unbind? who knows...

As it turns out there were, but as I said earlier I was planing to nuke for want of a better word, my control setting and start a fresh, from clean, and the result is GREAT, I've been flying solid for the last 3+ hours with a hitch :good:

What I did...

Backed up my E:\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\input folder first, then set everything to default in the Settings/Key Mapping, Input Devices & Camera sections, closed IL2 and restarted. 

Next I culled just about everything in the Settings Key Mapping section, a real click fest as was to be expected.

Finally adding the most essential controls for one aircraft at a time, in this case I started with the I-16, then the Fw-190A, then Bf-109G-6, Spitfire MKVB, Yak-1B and so on, adding the relevant necessary extra controls each aircraft needs. All the while testing for the problem in air to air and ground attack.

So far so good, I have all the controls I normally use in place just how I like them, without the problem occurring once, not one time !!! I even put back in the pilot head zoom control on an axis, not that I use it much, but it's there and there's still no problem.

Interesting thing I also noticed was another issue that I had been having but had paid little attention too has also gone. That was in the external camera veiw, F2 default, when tracking around an aircraft the camera would occasionally bounce back the way, as if it had hit an invisible rubber wall. I figured it must have been my laser mouse or something like that, but that problem is now also gone :)

UPDATE...

A 3rd issue I had been having has been cured with this nuke & rebuild and that is when I was firing up IL2BOX, if I had not been in front of the TrackIR camera with my ball cap on and the crazy metal clip that reflects the IR back to the camera, IL2BOX just would not recognize TrackIR, even although TrackIR had been loaded before IL2BOX.

Not something that I was likely to spot as through force of habit I check the TrackIR is all lined up and ready to rock before I start IL2BOX. But nonetheless it is fixed.

So 3 problems sorted with one nuke session :) 

===========================

I didn't manage to finger any one culprit, however I am now sure that it has been a conflict with one or more of the camera axis controls, like the one at the bottom of the list in Settings/Key Mapping/Camera Controls called "Freelook" which is iirc, by default bound to some mouse axis combination.

So if you still have the likes of that setup, unbind it and see how you go, it might save you some time over a nuking session. Not that nuking has been a bad option for me, just time consuming. However the result has been worth the effort and while it may just be me going snow blind after so much testing, I get the feeling the whole game runs smoother since I did this.

Edited by Pict
Update
  • Thanks 2

Is it possible to lock view from the cockpit to prevent rising or lowering view(g forces)?

This is soooo annoying since day one. Even if I turn trackir off whole cockpit is moving. In real plane your seat is moving together with the plane.

This is one of the reason why I need pressing trackir center view all the time because my crosshair is sinking below my gunsight.

I tried to dissable head movement in the game option menu, but it doesnt work.

On 10/15/2019 at 5:48 PM, Voidhunger said:

Is it possible to lock view from the cockpit to prevent rising or lowering view(g forces)?

I don't think so, as I think what you are referring to is a built in feature and one that I'm happy with, that I already mentioned this earlier up this thread...

"There is an element of sinking that happens when you pull some g's and of course the opposite when pushing the stick forward, but it's minimal as you would expect when supposedly strapped tightly into your seat. This I am happy with and see it as a plus point for immersion as it is subtle in a way that you never totally lose your gun-sight and as the g bleeds of your slowly return to your start point."

So to be clear, I see that as entirely different and unrelated to what we have been dealing with here.

====================================

Back to the problem & it's solution;

Good news is I can happily say that I'm still running clean since the nuke & rebuild. The rebuild has continued along with more & more testing with different aircraft, in missions, in campaigns, all good, no head banging the gun-site or anything remotely similar. While I have yet to test it online, I see no reason for that to be any different.

I'd be happy to hear from all those who indicated that they were suffering from our little problem, to see how they are getting on? All good? Still testing? Still have the problem? Haven't tried to sort it yet?

Largely so that I can update the OP and thread title (if possible) to indicate that this one has an effective solution.

=====================================

So, starting in order of appearance I'm going to page you all, if I missed you, it's just because I missed you and I'll apologize in advance, this list will not include those offing a solution only, just for those with the problem.

@Voidhunger @SAG @pfrances @Swing @HagarTheHorrible @spartan85 @=SqSq=Sulaco @J3Hetzer @II./JG77_Kemp @=[TIA]=Stoopy @Esco

Edited by Pict
  • Upvote 1

As said, I've not had the problem with the Rift, also it didn't happen when I (briefly) gave the TiR a go the other day (which doesn't mean much).

7 minutes ago, J3Hetzer said:

As said, I've not had the problem with the Rift, also it didn't happen when I (briefly) gave the TiR a go the other day (which doesn't mean much).

Ok thanks, I must have misunderstood you earlier. No problem is good news anyhow.

2 hours ago, Pict said:

I'd be happy to hear from all those who indicated that they were suffering from our little problem, to see how they are getting on?

I still have it. I tried the "Limit Z" that Thor suggested and it made no difference to me.

I did a short test flying without TrackIR and that problem did not appear. I tried various maneuvers, pulling G's, turning, looping etc, while looking at various directions (mouse) and whenever I turned my view back to normal, gunsight was right where it was supposed to be. It was just a short test, so not fully conclusive, but from there it appears that it is either (1) TrackIR related problem or (2) only happens, when head position is away from default position during maneuvers. Most probably the latter option, as I use the same TrackIR profile in DCS and never get that problem there (on the other hand I usually do not do similar kind of maneuvers with DCS aircraft). Also, did not have this issue in CloD or IL2 1946.

Have not had time or energy to do full nuking of controls.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

I still have it. ==============snnniiiippp==============

Have not had time or energy to do full nuking of controls.

Ok, Kemp that all rings true from personal experience. I'm certain you'll get rid of it when you get around to dropping the nuke :) 

It's really worth the effort, a literal game changer, for the better.

I too always had this problem with TrackIR and just got in the habit of reentering it very frequently. Looking away from center by a good bit, for example when tracking a target through a maneuver, and then lining back up and looking fairly straight on, the view would be sitting well below where it used to sit. I never thought to delete all view and camera related keybinds and inputs that were now handled by TrackIR. I mostly use the Rift S now, but I'll probably delete all camera related controls anyway.

Maybe it will end up being the fix for the occasional VR "view shift and reset" that happens every once in a while. It's brief and it doesn't require me to do anything to bring it back to where it should be, it just spazzes once in a while and then over 1 or 2 seconds drifts back to where it should be. This TrackIR fix has me thinking maybe it will fix that also. 

Thanks to all who took the time to work this out and verify it!