Pruciak

I-16 blown engine

Hi all! Is it possible to blow my engine in I-16 if i give too much throttle too fast? I was playing yesterday on moscow map single player, start of war, flew for about 20 mins and suddenly my engine stops. I remember I was exiting a dive, fighting a 109. Or maybe I overcooled the engine? Is it even possible? It was a long time since i flew ishak and forgot how much should I open the inlet - had it about 50% or so. After that happened i restarted and it happend again after some time. I had no battle damage. Mixture set to auto. Didn't use boost. 90% rpm, 100% throttle.

Edited by Pruciak

Probably oversped the engine in that dive if you were following a FW in steeply and had full throttle. The I-16 must occasionally be flown like the rather early design it is. 

• Upvote 1

It stopped working some time after I exited the dive and was flying level. I just got bamboozled because it never happened to me before. Thought that radial engines were tough, guess I treated it too rough. Will hop to the mig for rest of Moscow ;)

Edited by Pruciak

As you do not mention any warning I assume you are flying with technochat off.

In that case, for the I16: First, as said above, watch the limits: Boost and more than 2200rpm only for, if I remember correctly, 10 minutes. But what did kill my engine in the I16 quite often was high oil temperature. It can get too hot easily even in continuous mode, with oil rads fully open, and cowling open just as far as to maintain a good cylinder head temperature.

I was flying with technochat on. Had no warning of overheating, all the time engine in normal mode not boosted. And suddenly my prop just stopped turning. That's why I created the thread because it was very strange to me.

Just now, Pruciak said:

I was flying with technochat on. Had no warning of overheating, all the time engine in normal mode not boosted. And suddenly my prop just stopped turning. That's why I created the thread because it was very strange to me.

Could have oversped in the dive? But you should have got an 'engine damaged' warning. I have seen a couple people note that their engines have died for no reason and with no warning lately, in the P-38 and the Bf-110. maybe there is a new bug?

No warning whatsoever. Set my throttle to zero while diving, my guess was either I overcooled the engine or I maxed the throttle too fast when exiting the dive. Killed p40 in that way a few times. Dont know of it applies to I-16

Edited by Pruciak

indeed I know you can kill Pe2 engines by accelerating too quickly. Probably that applies then to other engines, too.

19 hours ago, Luftschiff said:

Probably oversped the engine in that dive if you were following a FW in steeply and had full throttle. The I-16 must occasionally be flown like the rather early design it is. 

^^ This