Sign in to follow this  

Sorry if this has been asked but I am trying to get into VR with IL-2. Just got back into the sim after years away. 

I have

i7-8700

gtx1070

16 gb ddr4 3200mhz

I am working with a rough budget of 800 to 1000 dollars. I would like to upgrade my graphics cart to say a 5700. The remaining money would go to a headset. Any combo ideas to start thinking about. At the school I work at I had some time on the original Rift but that is all I have experienced. Thanks for all the help in advance. 

If your interest in VR is solely with flight sims, then the Reverb would likely be your best option as far as best image

If you think you might like to get more into VR with other things, like moving around playing fps games, room scale or just smaller play area, then the 

Rift S is a hard combo to beat with the Touch Controllers it comes with.

I bought my original VR headset (Rift) back in Jan 2017 thinking I would only use it for a couple of flight sims.

However I shortly after discovered the fun of playing some Touch supported games, and enjoy the occasional foray into them also.

Got the Rift S in May and am enjoying it very much.

Tempted to pick up a Reverb in the not too distant future though just for flight sims and keep Rift S for all my other games, will see.

Edited by dburne

24 minutes ago, dburne said:

If your interest in VR is solely with flight sims, then the Reverb would likely be your best option as far as best image

If you think you might like to get more into VR with other things, like moving around playing fps games, room scale or just smaller play area, then the 

Rift S is a hard combo to beat with the Touch Controllers it comes with.

I bought my original VR headset (Rift) back in Jan 2017 thinking I would only use it for a couple of flight sims.

However I shortly after discovered the fun of playing some Touch supported games, and enjoy the occasional foray into them also.

Got the Rift S in May and am enjoying it very much.

Tempted to pick up a Reverb in the not too distant future though just for flight sims and keep Rift S for all my other games, will see.

Thanks. Yeah it would be mainly for flight sims. IL-2,  DCS, FS2020?,Xplane 11.

I'm in the same situation as you apart from that I did buy my VR stuff yet. Only spent a few hours with it so far, mainly because my glasses were too big and the Samsung Odyssey+ isn't know to be the most comfortable VR headset, but also because I'm still not ready about my GC, which I think I will update soon now.

Bought VR about 5 months ago. It's a overall a very nice VR for its competitive price. And you can upgrade the comfort.

Didn't play Il-2 for about 1,5 or 2 years now (!) I miss it sooooo much. And in VR it will be a blast for sure. I didn't even try. I will need pleeeeenty of advices too. Reading the forums isn't an easy thing as the guys speak a acronym-based language I most of the time have no idea about. 😄 Sometimes it's quite like trying to listen to a Zergs' conversation.

*Later you prolly will be very interested in the Migoto's mod, very precious*

My only advice would be not to deal with an old GC like me, as it will be harder not to experiment sickness due to low FPS. (though again, I didn't try with Il-2, only Assetto Corsa till now).

Black Friday I'm looking at you.