HarleyDavidson

Spit MK XIV coming?

With all the new aircraft and higher performance, just wondered if the MK XIV would be on the collector aircraft list?

Being a Canucklehead I'm always partial the the Spits!

I dunno...  I’d be hopin more for a mossie...or something crazy like a tiger moth lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The Griffon powered spit would be nice, though not sure it would provide much difference to a mkIx other than speed.

I hope so. 

Comparison reports put the IX and XIV pretty similar in terms of top speed until high altitude, where the XIV walks away. 

Does anyone know their cruise speed / “fast cruise” speed numbers? The IX with 25 lbs is fast wide open, but it’s speed at continuous power is a bit underwhelming. 

I hope so as well. It's the apex of the wartime service Spitfires, and it would be great to get it. It would complete the Spitfire lineup, just like the 109 and 190s have the equivalent.

Yep, that would be a great plane to have.

Spit_XIV.jpg

• Like 4

I'm less into hotrods - so I'd take a Typhoon (or a Lancaster... but that is a bit of a stretch - even though it doesn't suffer from the issues which prevent other heavy bombers from being modelled). But it is nice to have commonwealth aircraft modelled (especially considering that they'll likely be under-represented in PTO or Korea).

6 hours ago, HarleyDavidson said:

With all the new aircraft and higher performance, just wondered if the MK XIV would be on the collector aircraft list?

Being a Canucklehead I'm always partial the the Spits!

Very much hope so.

Talisman

Posted (edited)

Considerng how good they made Tempest, Spitfire XIV would be a dream to play in this game, hope it happends. 

Edited by 77.CountZero

I would love a P51B/C. That thing is faster than the D. Only it has less cockpit visibility.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, capetadusinfernu said:

I would love a P51B/C. That thing is faster than the D. Only it has less cockpit visibility.

Also 4x.50cal, but for me bird cage or even malcom hood are big disadvantage in visability department compared to bubble canopey we have on Ds. I would probably play with razerbacks with open canopy like on laggs to be able to see anything (and then close canopy when runing and pretend its 20kmh boost :) ). But they do look great, when i can i was using great P51 skins made for lagg3, they look great on it.

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Like 1

I've long since given up not buying anything that this company offers. A XIV - but especially a Mossie - would be epic.

Just now, EAF19_Marsh said:

A XIV - but especially a Mossie - would be epic.

Add a Tiffy. All three would be instabuys for me. Where can I throw my money at?

18 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Where can I throw my money at?

Interesting that you ask. I, it turns out, am a Nigerian prince with access to a huge fortune. If you throw your money (and bank details) at me, I can access my (for some reason denied to me) fortune and buy you a Typhoon!

• Haha 2

Just now, EAF19_Marsh said:

Interesting that you ask. I, it turns out, am a Nigerian prince with access to a huge fortune. If you throw your money (and bank details) at me, I can access my (for some reason denied to me) fortune and buy you a Typhoon!

Ah I see. You are one of those guy´s who is sending me those emails. Well unfortunately I already decided to give away my details to your sister who invited me to visit her in her hometown palace. So I am happy to meet you too at her estate next month. 😎

On 10/9/2019 at 10:01 AM, Melonfish said:

The Griffon powered spit would be nice, though not sure it would provide much difference to a mkIx other than speed.

Not a huge difference at lower altitudes. It's high up where the XIV really shines. I want to fly the XIV more for the mystique of having the last of the major Spitfire wartime variants, the one with the big engine, and the one with slightly compromised handling especially on the ground. The Griffon was a real beast and I'd love to see it in sim.

4 hours ago, capetadusinfernu said:

It is marginally faster but the story is a bit more complex than that as the P-51D's supercharger tuning makes it faster over a greater range of altitudes. Not saying that I don't want the P-51B/C... I'd love an earlier Mustang. Heck, I'd love to see a Mustang Mark I, P-51A or A-36 as those variants get less press than the late war bubble canopy version.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

... the one with the big engine, and the one with slightly compromised handling especially on the ground.

Slightly compromised? Is that what you call a step down from „plain unacceptable“ according todays standards? ;)

4 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Slightly compromised? Is that what you call a step down from „plain unacceptable“ according todays standards? ;)

Brown said it was the best of the wartime marks. Quill said the VIII was overall his favourite. I suppose the XIV is akin to the K-4 and D-9: you get the power, but at the cost of weight and hence the overall handling diminishes somewhat.

It would be a corker, but in fighter development few improvements are ‘free’.

Little collector packs of maybe two planes, without a map or campaign, would be pretty cool IMO.

Would be a good way to expand the game without having the develop an entire expansion. Or help fund new ones.

48 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Brown said it was the best of the wartime marks. Quill said the VIII was overall his favourite. I suppose the XIV is akin to the K-4 and D-9: you get the power, but at the cost of weight and hence the overall handling diminishes somewhat.

Ah, I was just talking about ground handling. In the air... they for sure are a delight. I‘m sure you get used to the power of these crates at some point.

8 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

Also 4x.50cal, but for me bird cage or even malcom hood are big disadvantage in visability department compared to bubble canopey we have on Ds. I would probably play with razerbacks with open canopy like on laggs to be able to see anything (and then close canopy when runing and pretend its 20kmh boost :) ). But they do look great, when i can i was using great P51 skins made for lagg3, they look great on it.

If you did that in a non-malcom hood Mustang (Ie the birdcage) you'd have the canopy glass tear off due to the way it closes up. 

2 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

It was more like that the sheer power would pull the aircraft around on takeoff/landings and at near stall speeds. Wikipedia mentions they apparently had to use quite a bit of rudder and aileron just to keep it straight on takeoff.

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

Ah, I was just talking about ground handling. In the air... they for sure are a delight. I‘m sure you get used to the power of these crates at some point.

Sure. What I meant was that many pilots speak fondly of the 109E or Spit I as lovely flying machines for a pilot. The samis rarely said of the late versions.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, ShadowStalker887 said:

It was more like that the sheer power would pull the aircraft around on takeoff/landings and at near stall speeds. Wikipedia mentions they apparently had to use quite a bit of rudder and aileron just to keep it straight on takeoff.

And opposite rudder was needed as the Griffon rotated the opposite direction than the Merlin.

I would love to see the Mk.XIV, but the Mk.IX is pretty sweet right now.  I'm like some of the other guys and would love to hear the sound of two Merlin's on either side of me purring away, kind of like the twin Allison's on the Lightning............ very soothing :) the Mossie would probably become my favorite bomb hauler if it sees the light of day in IL2GB.

Cheers

Hoss

7 minutes ago, 361st_Hoss said:

the Mossie would probably become my favorite bomb hauler if it sees the light of day in IL2GB.

I guess they know they have some huge sales potential at their fingertips with Mossie, Spit XIV, Tiffy,  Arado 234 etc. I hope they release some additional planes for BoBP.

Yes,

15 minutes ago, sevenless said:

I guess they know they have some huge sales potential at their fingertips with Mossie, Spit XIV, Tiffy,  Arado 234 etc. I hope they release some additional planes for BoBP.

Yes; I enjoy seeing new planes instead of endless variations on a theme of the same plane.  Unless the new variation is a totally new make over, like 190A8 to the 190D.  The Tempest to Typhoon is for me a different plane, and I feel would of been a better fit for this time period.  The Mossie Fighter bomber variant, and the Ar-234 are very high on my list.  For Russian I'd like to see the Tu-2, the Yak 9's are coming, Do-17/217 for early campaigns.....   And of course the B-25 flyable, and I would of liked to see the A-20G out of the bag.  I have a very sneaky feeling we will see Southern Italy as the next chapter in IL2GB, no one is doing it and I'm not sure with the current game engine they can't swing Carrier operations, or torpedo deployment from aircraft.  So I'm not holding out seeing a Pacific campaign unless it's completely land locked, like something in New Guinea where we fly from one side of the island to the other, Japanese get to bomb Port Moresby and the Allies get to bomb Buna. But who knows, Jason has performed miracles with the current game engine and I for one have been enthusiastic as you can see from the badges to the left of supporting that.......................

Hoss

Edited by 361st_Hoss
  • Upvote 1

On 10/9/2019 at 10:01 AM, Melonfish said:

I can live with that.

Mossie would be a more interesting choice but the griffon is up there on my list.

On one of the other threads Black Six "quasi-confirmed' the next collector planes to be the Hurricane Mk II and Yak 9/9T.  Don't get me wrong, I would buy the XIV in a heartbeat, or even the packard powered XVI to get a spit with a bubble canopy, but they're not next on the list. And besides, the sooner we get to the PTO the better from my perspective.

I like the 2nd gen airframe with the retractable rail wheel. That plus the bubble canopy and clipped wings looks deadly.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stryker07 said:

On one of the other threads Black Six "quasi-confirmed' the next collector planes to be the Hurricane Mk II and Yak 9/9T.  Don't get me wrong, I would buy the XIV in a heartbeat, or even the packard powered XVI to get a spit with a bubble canopy, but they're not next on the list. And besides, the sooner we get to the PTO the better from my perspective.

If they do go for hurriII + yak9/9T combo now in next 1-1,5 year they can do some collectables for bobp campaign time line. Im sure the next is PTO, so then you can in 1-1,5year time do some airplanes to please westfront guys who dont care about buying pto, give them some options to buy new stuff, now its time for east front fans as in last 1,5 year only new one to buy for east was U-2. There is no hurry to give more bobp timeline airplanes now when bobp is still new thing, its good choice to go for ppl who are fans of east front and give them option to spend some money on, like yak9 is.

6 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

I like the 2nd gen airframe with the retractable rail wheel. That plus the bubble canopy and clipped wings looks deadly.

Looks more sexy than deadly!

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2019 at 1:32 PM, 77.CountZero said:

If they do go for hurriII + yak9/9T combo now in next 1-1,5 year they can do some collectables for bobp campaign time line. Im sure the next is PTO, so then you can in 1-1,5year time do some airplanes to please westfront guys who dont care about buying pto, give them some options to buy new stuff, now its time for east front fans as in last 1,5 year only new one to buy for east was U-2. There is no hurry to give more bobp timeline airplanes now when bobp is still new thing, its good choice to go for ppl who are fans of east front and give them option to spend some money on, like yak9 is.

They are way too slow at producing collector planes. They lose a lot of money with that.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:21 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

Not a huge difference at lower altitudes. It's high up where the XIV really shines. I want to fly the XIV more for the mystique of having the last of the major Spitfire wartime variants, the one with the big engine, and the one with slightly compromised handling especially on the ground. The Griffon was a real beast and I'd love to see it in sim.

Yeah the normal XIV at +18 boost is similar to the IX at +25 boost at low alt, but if you give it the same fuel and increase the boost to +21 it leaps ahead close to the Tempest +9 boost / P-51 67" speeds. And with +25 the XIV surpasses the Tempest at +11 even afaik, though I think that last setting was only used to chase V1 bombs. 

7 hours ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

And with +25 the XIV surpasses the Tempest at +11 even afaik,

Spit XIV with 25lb was short lived and iirc never saw operational use. 21lb boost was the boost used operationally. Postwar the 25lb was used on the Griffon used on the Shackletons.

I definitely would go for the Spit XIV. Until and unless we go Battle of Britain, it would nicely complete the Spitfire lineup, and give us the ultimate wartime expression of that beloved airframe (just like we have the 109 and 190 equivalents).

• Like 1