Jump to content
US93_Larner

The Thursday Night Fly-In

Recommended Posts

Thought I'd try again tonight.  About 20 online when I joined, increasing to around 40. Took off with 50% fuel, climbed to designated dogfight area, hung around there for a while, moved over to enemy territory, flew at various altitudes between 0-3km, when fuel got low returned to friendly side and just made it back before engine quit.  Total time connected ~59 minutes; total aircraft of any type sighted: 0.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know of at least three streams, each over three hours in length, that say otherwise.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, US93_Talbot said:

I know of at least three streams, each over three hours in length, that say otherwise.

 

They cannot possibly 'say otherwise' unless my plane appears in them, and I'll wager it does not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

Thought I'd try again tonight.  About 20 online when I joined, increasing to around 40. Took off with 50% fuel, climbed to designated dogfight area, hung around there for a while, moved over to enemy territory, flew at various altitudes between 0-3km, when fuel got low returned to friendly side and just made it back before engine quit.  Total time connected ~59 minutes; total aircraft of any type sighted: 0.

 

 

 

If your that lucky to not run into any enemy then you should do recon and bombing. We try not too run into any enemy but always do. Good spot is over the mud by the twin lakes, always a dog fight there. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

If your that lucky to not run into any enemy then you should do recon and bombing. We try not too run into any enemy but always do. Good spot is over the mud by the twin lakes, always a dog fight there. 

 

The day I get gratification from navigating to a target and pointing a camera at it, [ Insert own sarcastic comment here ].

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is the day I become a photographer for National Geographic...

 

 

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

Thought I'd try again tonight.  About 20 online when I joined, increasing to around 40. Took off with 50% fuel, climbed to designated dogfight area, hung around there for a while, moved over to enemy territory, flew at various altitudes between 0-3km, when fuel got low returned to friendly side and just made it back before engine quit.  Total time connected ~59 minutes; total aircraft of any type sighted: 0.

 

 

 

 

Would you like them to add in lots of bots ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grammar Nazi, has the thought crossed your mind that you might be bad at spotting?  

 

It's definitely way different than RoF spotting.

 

Maybe you need to mess with your settings? If you fly around at about 2500m just north of the Somme River during these fly-ins, you should be running smack into people or be attacked by them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

 

Would you like them to add in lots of bots ?

 

Who in their right mind joins a multiplayer server to fly against bots?  If I wanted that I'd start one of those 'career' things people keep mentioning.  I view redundant bots as an insult in any server, more so in this type due to the extra effort needed to locate them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't sure what what you were driving at.

What is the solution to the problem ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, US93_Talbot said:

Grammar Nazi, has the thought crossed your mind that you might be bad at spotting?  

 

It's definitely way different than RoF spotting.

 

Maybe you need to mess with your settings? If you fly around at about 2500m just north of the Somme River during these fly-ins, you should be running smack into people or be attacked by them. 

 

I spot like shit and saw a lot of "hardcore action to the max"

 

Floyd Gondolli (Philip Baker Hall) speaks his mind in "Boogie ...

Edited by J5_Klugermann
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

 

The day I get gratification from navigating to a target and pointing a camera at it, [ Insert own sarcastic comment here ].

My you are a grumpy little fucker aren't you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, US93_Talbot said:

has the thought crossed your mind that you might be bad at spotting?

 

Well if that's true,  it's a good thing the enemy is no better at it.

 

Edited by Cynic_Al
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

My you are a grumpy

 

I'm not complaining about anything; just recounting my lack of adventures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

 

I'm not complaining about anything; just recounting my lack of adventures.

Sorry Al, I shouldn't have said it like that, You have any suggestions on what can be done? I know your not the only one who couldn't or can't find any enemy. 

Next time you come on flug park you can follow us, guaranteed you'll have someone to fight and you can escort at the same time. No TS is needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Enemy were certainly around.

JG1 flew a big formation deep into Entente airspace. Three at about 2500m, another covering at 3000m+ and then 2 (or 3?) very high cover about 4000m.

Can see some of it here https://youtu.be/cty9ma4CGo4?t=7128

 

But personally i find it difficult to spot when flying alone. Lots of eyes really helps. 

The locations Talbot mentioned can usually be relied upon, but of course there will be hunters in those areas.

If you're very brave, over the German trenches North of Cappy will definitely provide action.

 

Two full streams here with timestamps on mine.

 

Edited by US103_Baer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hobie Baker, Princeton grad '14. Member of US Hockey HoF and College Football HoF.  Ice Hockey rink @ Princeton named after him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my I inquire why Thursday event is not advertised any more or why it no longer starts at the normal time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2020 at 1:18 AM, NO.20_D_McGoun said:

my I inquire why Thursday event is not advertised any more or why it no longer starts at the normal time

 

Can't speak for all. I stopped promoting it here as it seemed to have gathered a regular following and pilots knew that Thursday and Sunday evenings were on. Further promo seemed superfluous.

 

Think the DM has had an impact on numbers of some regulars. It's certainly more difficult to take seriously now. Plus the lack of plane set variability must have an impact over time.

 

Not sure about start times. I thought US evenings about 8:30-9pm eastern still seems when most join, though I've been out of action for a few weeks.

What are you noticing re start time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, US103_Baer said:

 

 

 

Not sure about start times. I thought US evenings about 8:30-9pm eastern still seems when most join, though I've been out of action for a few weeks.

What are you noticing re start time?

well it was usaully 5 west coast time but seems to be later now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same old map every Thurs night? Can we get some variety please?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 10:20 AM, JG1_Vonrd said:

Same old map every Thurs night? Can we get some variety please?

 

Agree.

Do realise that there aren't many guys able (and willing) to spend the time doing it and I'm guessing Sizzlor has been busy on the Black September maps.

 

Will put my thoughts in a separate thread. 

But essentially I'd like to see perhaps 4-5 maps covering different time periods from April '17 to Nov '18. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10k on my patreon please! 😋

 

No seriously, from draft to finish a good FC mission takes time (for reference I started with the BS mission at the beginning of August). I also have a family, a job and sometimes I just want to fly as well. I am not able to put out more missions right now. When BS is over I will have more time to do something new. Just putting the BS mission up will also cause some problems. E. g. when no one is flying one side will always win. This will have an effect on statistics. Also the mission is quite big and optimized for 60+ players. Those numbers we don't have on the J5 Flugpark regularly. So the mission must be adapted to lower player numbers. Which basically means to restructure the whole thing, which is comparable to build an entire new mission from the workload perspective I guess...

Edited by J99_Sizzlorr
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, J99_Sizzlorr said:

10k on my patreon please! 😋

 

No seriously, from draft to finish a good FC mission takes time (for reference I started with the BS mission at the beginning of August). I also have a family, a job and sometimes I just want to fly as well. I am not able to put out more missions right now. When BS is over I will have more time to do something new. Just putting the BS mission up will also cause some problems. E. g. when no one is flying one side will always win. This will have an effect on statistics. Also the mission is quite big and optimized for 60+ players. Those numbers we don't have on the J5 Flugpark regularly. So the mission must be adapted to lower player numbers. Which basically means to restructure the whole thing, which is comparable to build an entire new mission from the workload perspective I guess...

S! Sizzlor

 

I'm certainly not belittling your efforts and certainly appreciate the level of effort and expertise involved.

But, there are other missions besides the recon one aren't there? Could you just change the rotation so that the same recon mission doesn't come up at the same Thurs night time every week? Honestly, I would not be in any way disappointed if that particular mission was eliminated 🥱.

 

As I recall New Wings had the same issue back in the day of the same mission coming up at the same time and I think that 4Speed just got rid of one of the less popular missions so that there were an odd number of missions in rotation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you mean? Flying on Winter Carpathia map every night at the same time for years was what kept me coming back to ROF for so long.

 

🤢

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would you like to see Vonrd? The map is only so big anyway so no matter what they do it'll look almost the same as the next. Maybe more bombing targets less recon. 

I did like the JG1_Butzel map they had a while back, didn't last long and was taken out. What happen to that one?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JG1_VonrdIbelievebelieve Sizzlor has (or has agreed to) provide some randomization in recon and secondary targets unlocked when recon is completed.

 

PS Sizzlor has also agreed to refresh the Amiens to St. Quentin maps by Matthias, who is unavailable currently due to increased professional load.  They should reappear sometime after Black September. 

 

There are also other projects anticipated that will add to mission diversity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

 

There are also other projects anticipated that will add to mission diversity. 

 

My "secret" airfield will certainly add to diversity.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 5:38 AM, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

 I know your not the only one who couldn't or can't find any enemy. 

Next time you come on flug park you can follow us, guaranteed you'll have someone to fight and you can escort at the same time. No TS is needed.

 

Just as a postscript to this situation, I decided to determine my current spotting distance using recorded tracks with icons-on. It transpired to be just on 1000 metres, (yes 1000), anything further away simply was not rendered.  Reading posts on the subject, it seemed things could be improved by reducing resolution, but on much lower settings the text became unreadable.  I regard both these problems as inexcusable and an indictment of the rendering algorithms in use. 

 

So last week I tried a compromise resolution setting that showed at least an improvement, although I'm not sure by how much.  I'd just been airborne for a couple of minutes when I was able to spot a group of SPADs high above me, which had clearly spotted me about the same time.  Of course flying alone in an out-of-date Pfalz, this was going to be a pretty inescapable situation.  I assumed this group to be the 'Teamspricks' as someone called them, and checking their stream for that day I found the brief engagement depicted here.

 

I think this shows there's work to be done with the rendering, but I'm not holding my breath.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With FC at least, I am trying to fly with a group as much as possible because the spotting is so dodgy for me.I'll have flak bursts close by, but not see the plane when I probably should. Other times, I'll spot airplanes from the other side of the front, quite a ways off. It's not that it's uniformly good or bad for me, just very irregular.

Edited by NO.20_Krispy_Duck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, J5_Klugermann said:

 

My "secret" airfield will certainly add to diversity.

 

Le Placard field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cynic_Al said:

I assumed this group to be the 'Teamspricks' as someone called them, and checking their stream for that day I found the brief engagement depicted here.

 

I prefer 'Dickscord' myself.

 

1 hour ago, Cynic_Al said:

Of course flying alone in an out-of-date Pfalz, this was going to be a pretty inescapable situation

 

I don't know, maybe skill matters? One night a single SCG Pfalz piloted by a very competent fellow swatted away no less than three teamcervixcrusaders!

 

But yeah it's probably the machine for sure. You should petition to up the g-tolerance on it! I'll sign the first line!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to express how much i hate the current DM. Ruined FC MP for us.

 

Can live without FC2 for a while longer, can even put up (temp) with a 1917 SPAD 200hp and nothing but late war match-ups against D7fs. But cannot live with this ridiculous DM.

 

Edit: On a more positive note. It was great to see some of the Wing Walker guys on. They certainly fly well. J30 too, always proving dangerous and aggressive even inside Entente lines.

 

Edited by US103_Baer
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheer up Baer. If someone puts the DM issue directly to Jason, along with the future direction of Flying Circus, I'm sure he'll address it with an announcement. It's not like he'll ignore us after taking our money. That doesn't make sense.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ST_Catchov said:

Cheer up Baer. If someone puts the DM issue directly to Jason, along with the future direction of Flying Circus, I'm sure he'll address it with an announcement. It's not like he'll ignore us after taking our money. That doesn't make sense.

 

Seems like it's dead and buried, now they've announced player controlled vehicles.

We'll probably get playable Tea Ladies in the mess - anything but more WW1 !

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...