Sign in to follow this  
sevenless

Combat Box using B25s ?

With B25s available now, is any of you skilled folks interested to do a Single Player Mission to model Fw-190A8s attacking one or several Combat Box(es)? Maybe throw in some Mustangs to defend the bombers as well?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_box

Combatbox.gif

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1

I hope to be proved wrong, but unfortunately the Mission editor lacks the features to create a Combat Box formation and keep it stable over a significant portion of the flight.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:47 PM, Reckoner_ said:

I hope to be proved wrong, but unfortunately the Mission editor lacks the features to create a Combat Box formation and keep it stable over a significant portion of the flight.

I may try this challenge. 

• Like 1

I've done it a couple of times, the results are mixed. Its not a very tight box formation, some flights start lagging (maybe to maintain a safety distance).

I created a suggestion to have multiple formations linked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I've done it a couple of times, the results are mixed. Its not a very tight box formation, some flights start lagging (maybe to maintain a safety distance).

I created a suggestion to have multiple formations linked.

Indeed. Unfortunately a plane that has other planes target linked to it, cannot have a target link to another plane.

Or to put it shortly planes cannot be chained with target links. I tried but it generates an error with the Integrity Check.

If that was implemented it would probably solve the problem.

The photo from Wiki is actually mirrored. The right element should fly lower than lead, and left higher. Reason being the pilot is sitting on the left side. Though, in theory both are possible to fly with US bombers.

I do hope we get a proper formation tools to set up historical bomber formations with AI. Both for LW, USAAF and RAF.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, [DBS]TH0R said:

...I do hope we get a proper formation tools to set up historical bomber formations with AI. Both for LW, USAAF and RAF.

CBPic.jpg.9155d7d91b5cace70e8eeedb6a4ee2ea.jpg

Tips Combat Box Group now available in the Mission Builders Groups Sharing Topic.
Template Created on Rheinland Summer Map
v3.201c
*Readme with Full Specifics for Designers included. Please view.
**CheckZone MCUs included. Must be used as created in either SP, CoOP or using an Independent Dserver. Within Ingame Dserver Checkzones will not work.

Included:
4 x 3 AI B-25 Flts activating @ 15,500ft Form up in Combat Box which then.
Attack and Level Bomb Industrial Target.
Egress and land at Home Base. 
*Following Bomb release B-25s initiate 3 Egress turns, regaining close formation then descend to land at Home Base w/Flak Rearm/Repair/Refuel Option.

Target:
Industrial Section w/Flak.
Placebo Oil Containers, Factory Section and Warehouse setup as Targets.

Home Base w/Flak Rearm/Repair/Refuel Option:
Has Subtitle denoting Rearm/Repair/Refuel which is operational or not due to Enemy Aircraft in the vicinity.

2 Ambush Bf109G Groups:
Remove to view complete Bombing run with unfettered egress turns or move to another Sector at your discretion.

Good Luck with your Mission Designing,
Tip

Edited by [DBS]Tx_Tip
Pic Attached
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1