senseispcc

Drop tanks needed

Hello,

Due to the size of the new Bodenplatte map, I feel the need for drop tanks for the planes that used them during this period of the war.

Why? The best and not only reason is because without those drop thanks for extra fuel the Germans cannot reproduce the battle for witch the game get is name.

Any fighter on the German side cannot fly from a Germany situated airfield to Brussels then to the north of Holland on the intern fuel capacity alone.

Same but in the other direction for the English fighters. 

One positive point to the addition of drop tanks is in preparation of the Pacific and next additions to the battle series.

• Upvote 9

Seems like a reasonable request. Maybe they intend to incorporate drop tanks for the final release of this map?

If they do, it'd be more than nice to have fuel tank selection available for fuel management.

• Upvote 2

I think you'll find most map setups on servers will have the airfields set closer together until such time that droptanks are in game, but even then considering the whining that's going on about this update you may find that people complain about the time taken to fly to the enemy areas and thus the distances will remain relatively short.

either way we have a wonderfully big map to play with.

I hope the external fuel tanks can catch fire/explode when hit. You see it take place on old combat footage. 

Edited by Esco

23 minutes ago, Esco said:

I hope the external fuel tanks can catch fire/explode when hit. You see it take place on old combat footage. 

I am pretty sure they will. Hitting the other fuel tanks is already modelled and blowing up wing ammo etc. is also modelled.

This is the old  simulation or game battle. No? :salute:

6 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

We’ve already stated that we are working on it, but I have no ETA.

Jason

Thanks for this information, i hope like nearly always this becomes reality. Thanks. :salute:

3 hours ago, Esco said:

I'd love to see that implemented for bombs too.

If drop tanks do come out please implement them so server admins can only allow drop tanks when the aircraft main fuel tanks are full.

In IL-2 1946 we had the problem where people would take 25% fuel in the plane and drop tanks so they could drop them and get better dogfight performance.

Edited by Drawbar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

We’ve already stated that we are working on it, but I have no ETA.

Jason

Yesss!! Thank you.

my one worry is unrealistic use of drop tanks, people running very low fuel and just dropping tanks at the first sight of combat and flying straight home after. aircraft without drop tanks would be at a very big disadvantage 

Just be sure to get the size right.  Drop tanks on the P-51 were delayed for many months after contractors misread the scale on the drawings.

Blimps%20and%20Heilos1.jpg

• Haha 10

12 hours ago, Drawbar said:

If drop tanks do come out please implement them so server admins can only allow drop tanks when the aircraft main fuel tanks are full.

In IL-2 1946 we had the problem where people would take 25% fuel in the plane and drop tanks so they could drop them and get better dogfight performance.

Lets see how the devs do the fuel handling in general. Generally, fuel gets pumped from drop tanks to main tank, so if someone took 25% fuel to main tank and also picked a drop tank, then fuel would be pumped from drop tank to main tank fast (I know it was not like that in IL2 1946).

Of course if the devs do a more complex fuel handling system, pilot might switch off the drop tank pump manually or something like that .... though I think on some planes it was not even possible to prevent fuel getting drained drom drop tank to main tank.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

Generally, fuel gets pumped from drop tanks to main tank, so if someone took 25% fuel to main tank and also picked a drop tank, then fuel would be pumped from drop tank to main tank fast

That's interesting and news to me. I thought that the likes of fuel selector valve on a P-51 simply connected the suction side of the fuel pump to the relevant tank or drop tanks, with the output side of the pump going to the engine?

If what you say is the case, it would be unworkable for a P-51 as they ran down the tank behind the pilot's seat before going onto the drop tanks, so that if the need to drop their tanks for a fight arose, they had already emptied that extra fuselage tank that they couldn't do aerobatics with when full.

I may well be wrong about that, but it's how I understood it.

1 hour ago, Pict said:

That's interesting and news to me. I thought that the likes of fuel selector valve on a P-51 simply connected the suction side of the fuel pump to the relevant tank or drop tanks, with the output side of the pump going to the engine?

Yes, I think in P-51 it works like that. I was mostly thinking of German fighters, where Fw190 has a valve that automatically opens, when rear fuel tank gets below a certain level and fuel from drop tank would flow to rear fuel tank and Bf109 has a pressure system that constantly feeds from drop tank to main tank and there is no way that the pilot could prevent that.

Edited by II./JG77_Kemp

On 10/8/2019 at 11:35 PM, Feathered_IV said:

Just be sure to get the size right.  Drop tanks on the P-51 were delayed for many months after contractors misread the scale on the drawings.

Blimps%20and%20Heilos1.jpg

Those are actually regular sized drop tanks in a miniature model of a blimp hangar. The matchstick used for scale is cropped out of the photo.