Sign in to follow this  
HarleyDavidson

Newb help needed with Mustang.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to ask any experienced pilots out there how to battle in the P-51.  I'm Canadian and was flying the Spit IX and have found that it is just not competitive with the new German rockets so I've decided to try and learn the P-51. I've had IL2 for about a week and played the first IL2 years ago and decided to try it again.

Is there any info on how to fly the Mustang against the newly added German aircraft?   I'm getting my ass shot off continually and any info would be great. I'm not new to flight sims and do well in DCS jets but the flight model or maybe its just prop planes I need to learn. I'm finding that the usual combat maneuvers don't work well in these aircraft, such as yo-yo's  scissors etc.  From what I've seen so far, its just get high enough and dive on your opponent, shoot then run.  Is there no turn fighting with these planes?  I mean the Dora, 109 K4, Mustang, P-38 etc.

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, HarleyDavidson said:

just get high enough and dive on your opponent, shoot then run

^Welcome to ww2 air combat. 

The p51 flies very well at altitude compared to the German aircraft, try to get as high as you can and keep your energy up all the time. You can dance forever then. The p51 is crazy fast and keeps its speed very well. Getting away from turn fighting will make you a much better prop pilot. Even with aircraft well suited to turn fighting it is always more advantageous to keep speed up and boom and zoom. 

• Upvote 1