KB-Kriechbaum

Implementing Squadrons with INGAME- COMS

10 minutes ago, SAG said:

I'm also eager to see what Air-Marshall brings to the table, and perhaps the improved GUI layer could also help steer new players into the existing TS/Discord Channels.

i feel that air-marshall will bring out the disparity in communication even more and people without discord/TS simply won't fly on servers with AM enabled.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, moosya said:

i feel that air-marshall will bring out the disparity in communication even more and people without discord/TS simply won't fly on servers with AM enabled.

Or maybe people will still use TS/Discord regardless, and the ones that don't will finally have a way of coordinating themselves; I think it's to early to tell.

1 hour ago, SAG said:

I've personally tried for over 40 minutes to get new people in chat into a TS channel before giving up. But neither your anecdote, nor mine, proves either point.

The bottom line is that the developer has extremely limited resources.  They’re going to take advantage of 3rd party and community solutions in just about every situation that they can.  This is definitely one of those situations.

13 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

The bottom line is that the developer has extremely limited resources.  They’re going to take advantage of 3rd party and community solutions in just about every situation that they can.  This is definitely one of those situations.

what about a "soft" integration with Teamspeak or Discord?

7 minutes ago, SAG said:

what about a "soft" integration with Teamspeak or Discord?

Lots of people are already using them.   Spending resources to get the last few who want comms but can’t figure out TS or Discord would be right near the bottom of my priority list.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Lots of people are already using them.   Spending resources to get the last few who want comms but can’t figure out TS or Discord would be right near the bottom of my priority list.

How do you know how many people are "the last few"? How do you know how many people would join servers, would there be an easy option to have the support of a group?

Throuout the discussion your argument is like walking in the forrest and saying:

"There is no need to build rails here, because i cannot see any trains in this forrest. Walking works just fine for me!" 😄

The random unorganized flying is way more unrealistic than a few noobs in your wing. Noobs existed in real air combat, too. But they didn't respawn after death with their knowledge gained from the last sortie. People learn, people adapt. They do so faster, when you promote the means to do so.

If the 3rd party option would work so well, you would see way bigger formations flying missions vs. random furballs with few people collecting a lot of kills, 3 people that actually attack ground targets and 30 people with no contribution to the objective of the map. That is how the reality of multiplayer looks like at the moment.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KB-Kriechbaum said:

If the 3rd party option would work so well, you would see way bigger formations flying missions vs. random furballs with few people collecting a lot of kills, 3 people that actually attack ground targets and 30 people with no contribution to the objective of the map. That is how the reality of multiplayer looks like at the moment.

We have access to comms now.  If people really want to use comms they can do it.  The reason they’re not doing it has absolutely nothing to do with access.  In fact, lots of people do use comms.   And lots of them lock those comms so no one else can join (that alone should give you a clue what the real problem is).  So there is plenty of access to comms.

The problem appears to be that the people not using comms DON’T WANT TO USE COMMS.  

BTW, an in game comms system won’t have any impact on organizing large attack formations.  You need a command system for that.  You also need people willing to do what they’re told to do.  That may include sitting around doing nothing while they wait for everyone else.  

A comms system is really only good for 2 things.

1.  Coordination of a small group of 2-6 aircraft.  Any more than that and it’s a chaotic mess.

2.  Exchanging recipes

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It sounds like Air Marshall is going to be much more than comms. Hopefully, it will be a way to integrate strategy into a tactical game. Command and control over all resources including placement and movement on the fly while the battle rages.

6 hours ago, ATAG_SKUD said:

It sounds like Air Marshall is going to be much more than comms. Hopefully, it will be a way to integrate strategy into a tactical game. Command and control over all resources including placement and movement on the fly while the battle rages.

I also hope it brings another layer of gameplay to the sim, but we will have to wait and see.

When was it that Air-Marshal mode was going to be released? I forgot if it was with BoBp or at some other date.

They wanted to go out marshall mode before the BOBp release.
They may be a little late, but it does not matter, the important thing is that it is well done.

7 hours ago, -IRRE-Axurit said:

They wanted to go out marshall mode before the BOBp release.
They may be a little late, but it does not matter, the important thing is that it is well done.

ohh I agree. I was just being curious. thanks for the info! 

The original IL2 Forgotten Battles...'46 or whatever had a rudimentary in built voip (with immersive crackling iirc) I don't think it was used much, may well have been?

I tried it out with some squad mates and used it a fair bit after that. I never saw a problem with it, even found it quite cool.

26221404_ForgottenRadio.JPG.0ee4ee7c9fb40655203bb523fe36b55a.JPG

Edited by Pict
Spelling
  • Upvote 3

Well, I mostly fly alone at MP. So yesterday I tried to join someone on discord of CombatBox server. Sadly all the time the channel was nearly empty (one pair of allied pilots flying together was an exception). I positioned myself to the channel named "Looking for Wingman". But no one joined me... I tried to ask in a game chat for wingman on discord  but no one replied... I should notice that the server was nearly full (cca 60 players).

BTW: how do you guys manage your discord channels while in the game (switching between them or even between servers)? I play on full screen and so I cannot ALT + TAB between apps becasue if I do, I lost G-SYNC and I have awfull tearing then...

Edited by Tapi

2 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Well, I mostly fly alone at MP. So yesterday I tried to join someone on discrod of RedBox server. Sadly all the time the channel was nearly empty (one pair of allied pilots flying together was an exception). I positioned myself to the channel named "Looking for Wingman". Bat no one joined me... I tried to ask in chat for wingman on dioscord  but no one replied... I should notice that the server was nearly full (cca 60 players).

BTW: how do you guys manage your discord channels while in the game (switching between them or even between servers)? I play on full screen and so I cannot ALT + TAB between apps becasue if I do, I lost G-SYNC and I have awfull tearing then...

What I usually do is search on different channels both on discord and Teamspeak. If they're empty, as they are most of the time, I just stay on the official teamspeak channel, MP server 1 allies, and wait for someone to join me. 

Al-tabbing is bad in full screen mode IIRC maybe try full-screen windowed mode?

OK, I have not tried Teamspeak. I will do next time. THX

Not sure (I will try) but i think the full-screen windowed mode do not support G-SYNC. I think only full screen support G-SYNC...

50 minutes ago, Tapi said:

OK, I have not tried Teamspeak. I will do next time. THX

Not sure (I will try) but i think the full-screen windowed mode do not support G-SYNC. I think only full screen support G-SYNC...

In your Nvidia driver, under the G-Sync tab there is a checkbox that commands support for both full and windowed.  

THX for tip. I will try.

Note:  I have just also found out that Discord has an overlay option. That may be usefull too.

Edited by Tapi

11 hours ago, Tapi said:

THX for tip. I will try.

Note:  I have just also found out that Discord has an overlay option. That may be usefull too.

Teamspeak also has an overlay option, it's called Overwolf I think (non of them work in Vr though)