Dramborleg

What size screen do you use?

I'm curious as to what everyone else uses to play this game.  I *thought* my 22" LG running 1920x1080 native was sufficient for gaming, but this is the first time I've come across a title where I thought otherwise. 

49" LG 4k TV 

My evolution was 37" sony , Sharp Aquos 40" 1080p nd then the LG

Cheers, Dakpilot 

I travel a lot, play in hotel rooms so I use  a laptop with a 17" 1080p screen. A little small so I am quite happy with the new alt visibility.

Love the sim.

18 hours ago, Dakpilot said:

49" LG 4k TV 

My evolution was 37" sony , Sharp Aquos 40" 1080p nd then the LG

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Wow... I've taken to occasionally borrowing our temporary main house TV which is a 28" Samsung running 1080P for use and found it helps some with spotting.  I started this thread to see what the average player uses, especially those that do multiplayer and plan accordingly. 

I intend to play multiplayer most of the time, as I came from nearly a decade of Aces High, followed by a few years of War Thunder SIM mode.  Right now with my 22", I'll lose contact due to various reasons (clouds, terrain, etc) and end up getting surprised from behind because anticipation doesn't always work when contacts simply fade away.

27" Samsung monitor at 1080p. I have three of these monitors but I only use one for BoX because it's got a few triple-screen issues right now.

34" Ultra-Widescreen (Acer Predator) with 3440x1440 resolution.

In principle thats a 27" WQHD screen with some bonus left and right 😁

55" LG OLED tv. Pretty as hell in 4K but VR stole my heart. I've tried to go back to flat screen, several times in fact, but I just can't...

My main monitor for il-2 is an AOC 32 inch 4K(quite cheap in fact). This title screams for more though! 

34", Acer X34P, curved ultra widescreen, 3440x1440, OC 120 fps.

This is just about big enough, as I sit quite close to it.

I think the bigger the better.

Edited by jaygee485

I have a 35" ACER XZ350CU ultra-wide 21:9 curved monitor at 2560x1080. Picture is very nice and the curve design is immersive.

I have used TVs in the past, but find they tend to blur moving objects and not render the colors properly. A computer monitor tends to render a better picture IMHO.

I don't use it all that much, since I prefer VR with my Rift.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

Thanks for your replies.  I didn't know most people had big 30" or more screens as a normal either.  I might have to put IL2 down for now till I can buy a new screen.  It's just too frustrating playing MP; most servers use non-alternate view and I consistently get surprised and shot down despite diligently scanning behind and around me every time I'm flying (I use TrackIR so it's easy to look around). 

I think the only way I can see objects to the correct scale on the screen is if I'm zoomed in almost all the way, which makes it terrible for situational awareness since you have the field of view of looking through a telescope.  I did some quick missions and used this equation with the Bf109's dimensions (~9.9m wingspan, ~8.8 m length) along with how far I sit from my screen (0.6 m), and distance to the in-game Bf109 using icons and I calculated what the on-screen dimensions should be.  For example, if the in-game icon shows 0.3 km I get:  9.9 / 300 = x / 0.6, resulting in x = about 0.0198 m or about 20 mm.  So the only way I can make a Bf109's wingspan to measure 20 mm on the screen is to zoom in all the way with my current monitor.  Can anyone with a big screen do the same and see if you have to zoom in all the way to get the proper scale of objects on your screen? 

4 hours ago, Aeglos said:

Thanks for your replies.  I didn't know most people had big 30" or more screens as a normal either.  I might have to put IL2 down for now till I can buy a new screen.  It's just too frustrating playing MP; most servers use non-alternate view and I consistently get surprised and shot down despite diligently scanning behind and around me every time I'm flying (I use TrackIR so it's easy to look around). 

I think the only way I can see objects to the correct scale on the screen is if I'm zoomed in almost all the way, which makes it terrible for situational awareness since you have the field of view of looking through a telescope.  I did some quick missions and used this equation with the Bf109's dimensions (~9.9m wingspan, ~8.8 m length) along with how far I sit from my screen (0.6 m), and distance to the in-game Bf109 using icons and I calculated what the on-screen dimensions should be.  For example, if the in-game icon shows 0.3 km I get:  9.9 / 300 = x / 0.6, resulting in x = about 0.0198 m or about 20 mm.  So the only way I can make a Bf109's wingspan to measure 20 mm on the screen is to zoom in all the way with my current monitor.  Can anyone with a big screen do the same and see if you have to zoom in all the way to get the proper scale of objects on your screen? 

I get jumped and shot down even with my 34" monitor. And spotting planes can still be difficult.

The max zoom in my setup makes things bit larger what they would be in real. No calculations here, just comparing how things look with VR.

I don't use zoom that is 1:1 for flying. I prefer min zoom for better situational awareness and use zoom for ID targets and to take a closer look at some area. 

The zooming is still going to be a compromise between realistic field of view and resolution compared to our eyes. You just can't have both fov and resolution at the same time with monitor.

I use zoom the same way.  I mapped it to my hat switch so I don't have to move my head to zoom in and out.  Typically I zoom almost all the way out for the largest field of view as I scan all around, and then zoom if I need to.  It's when I'm zoomed out and scanning when I'm sure I'm missing contacts.  I really appreciate IL2 having such realistic features as clouds obscuring planes inside or behind them.  War Thunder's clouds don't hide the dot that is shown when a plane is far away.  But as they add more realistic features, I feel you now have to play at a more realistic scale for objects.  Otherwise your visual scanning difficulty is further hampered because of the additional problem of things being too small on your screen.  I'm not advocating for either view system in use either.  Things should not get smaller when you zoom in at closer objects (alternative spotting).  Maybe if their recommended (not "minimum required") system requirements included "minimum 34" screen at a x b resolution" it would have resulted in less frustration for me.

Edited by Aeglos

I use the Slider on my Warthog Throttle and with that i can zoom within a part of a second from full zoom to wideview. But even with that and my 34" Ultra Widescreen i only spot the enemy occasionally...i often fly high with my 109 and the guys flying low and slow are almost invisible in my eyes.

And then, WHEN i spotted somebody, i need to come very close to identify friend or foe...

27" Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz: 2560x1440 (WQHD or 1440p) @ 144-165 Hz

Calibrated to sRGB range with i1Display Pro, using these parameteres:

• luminance: 120cd/m2
  • white point (temperature): 6500K ("D65")
  • gamma: 2.2

And still I have the same problems @Aeglos. My recommendation is to turn off in-game AntiAliasing, together with global Sharpen filter off (not the landscape one). It makes spotting bearable with Expert mode on.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

Very happy with this monitor:  LG 32GK850G 31.5"
https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GK850G-B-Gaming-Monitor-Refresh/dp/B078TTXLW5
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32GK850G-B-gaming-monitor

VA panel (great colors and black levels), 1440 (high stable native fps, using EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra), fast response, G-Sync, etc.

For me it's the perfect monitor size and performance except it doesn't have HDR, which is not that big of a deal at this point on PC.

I sit basically around 28"-29" back and the size is perfect for me for games and general use.

Edited by AstroCat

20 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

27" Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz: 2560x1440 (WQHD or 1440p) @ 144-165 Hz

Calibrated to sRGB range with i1Display Pro, using these parameteres:

• luminance: 120cd/m2
  • white point (temperature): 6500K ("D65")
  • gamma: 2.2

And still I have the same problems @Aeglos. My recommendation is to turn off in-game AntiAliasing, together with global Sharpen filter off (not the landscape one). It makes spotting bearable with Expert mode on.

Thanks @[DBS]TH0R, I turned off Sharpen and it did help some (I already had AA turned off).  I wonder if Sharpen was causing planes in front of clouds to flicker / fade for me.  I had been doing a lot of reading through threads on graphics settings including Jason's advice, but it looks like you just have to figure out what works better for yourself. 

2019_10_9__4_22_12.jpg

2019_10_24__4_7_5.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just flew a bit more with Sharpen filter off. And it definitely helps. Combined with AA off.

It is impossible to spot anything over 5-6 km unless in perfect conditions, however I can at least somewhat spot target around me.

Recommended for anyone running 1440p with sub 30" montor.

If there is any scaling used with Expert visibility, add just a touch more for 1440p please...

Edited by [DBS]TH0R