Ouky1991

P-51 D Skins

P-51D "Big Beautiful Doll". Credit to @ICDP for awsome template.

Edit: -fixed alpha layer on the nose and the red has little more saturation now.

-Added few more details

-Added 2 versions of skin

-Antena color fixed

-minor alignment fixes

-more visible BBD art

(Last edit 14.10.19)

Without non_slip coating (Historically accurate)

https://mega.nz/#!nS5VFSCS!Ccq8DbgDnUat61XBvszxZC5pEjQLVZ3bDX63Wm1RJZI

With non-slip coating (I'm not updating this skin)

https://mega.nz/#!3XRk0aJD!UWowDBdYq5o1qFFbfh1JmUjPHnirJ2KvQ-1HVSsfBYI

pEYVU7F.jpg

swS5Qjg.png

1bq2s9G.png

xyLZadZ.png

Edited by Ouky1991
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 9

Oh! Wow that's great 

• Thanks 1

Best Stang skin to date. Kudos to you for pulling off the chequered nose!   :salute:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bzc3lk said:

Best Stang skin to date. Kudos to you for pulling off the chequered nose!   :salute:

Thanks, that was a 6 hour nightmare 😂

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ouky1991 said:

Thanks, that was a 6 hour nightmare 😂

I must have spent a similar time fixing teeth on my Mustang :)

In so many ways creating skins is much more time consuming than doing templates.  As always your work is much appreciated. 👍

Edited by ICDP
  • Thanks 1

Amazing attention to detail Ouky1991. Noticed the gasoline stains around the fuel caps were asymmetric port/starboard.

Thank You.

7 hours ago, GiftZahnsSteigern said:

Amazing attention to detail Ouky1991. Noticed the gasoline stains around the fuel caps were asymmetric port/starboard.

Thank You.

That is part of the ICDP's template. I only added little bit more exhaust weathering on the sides.

8 hours ago, ICDP said:

I must have spent a similar time fixing teeth on my Mustang :)

In so many ways creating skins is much more time consuming than doing templates.  As always your work is much appreciated. 👍

Thank you, would't be possible without your work.

So how long did it take to make this template? I always thought it must be excruciating making all those panels and rivets line up. What kind of crazy person would do something like that voluntarily?😀

• Upvote 2

This is a developer's template that I cleaned up and prepared for release.  So the lines and rives were already there and it took a lot less time than my my Me262, 190A(s), P47D or Spitfire Mk IX for example.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ICDP said:

This is a developer's template that I cleaned up and prepared for release.  So the lines and rives were already there and it took a lot less time than my my Me262, 190A(s), P47D or Spitfire Mk IX for example.

I see, that's still a lot of work adding multiple layers of weathering and all the markings etc. So again, great job on this one man.

Anoyne knows if the real thing had these black stripes? I found a lot of pics wihout them.

Inkedp51a_LI.jpg.c5f1e32c0fefa9c119dbba80ea549b8c.jpg

19 minutes ago, Ouky1991 said:

Anoyne knows if the real thing had these black stripes? I found a lot of pics wihout them.

Inkedp51a_LI.jpg.c5f1e32c0fefa9c119dbba80ea549b8c.jpg

I would guess yes, it's not a stripe, it's like a black sandpaper for lack of a better word, it's a non-slip coating for when you climb onto the wing. I had the same thing on my plane in real life. So my guess is some guys added it to their planes, some guys didn't

Edited by onlyforbrian
more info

36 minutes ago, onlyforbrian said:

I would guess yes, it's not a stripe, it's like a black sandpaper for lack of a better word, it's a non-slip coating for when you climb onto the wing. I had the same thing on my plane in real life. So my guess is some guys added it to their planes, some guys didn't

I've updated "BBD" to version 3. Link in first post.

xyLZadZ.png

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ouky1991 said:

Guess I'll do 2 versions then😀

That's a great idea!

Just had a look at my "Eagles over Debden" book and while BBD is depicted two or three times, it's only shown in arkward angles that suggest there was no strip on the original, but the angles don't really show the upper wing area too clearly.

Just out of a matter of curiosity, I had a quick look for other FG Mustangs (littlefriends is a great resource for pictures after all - even though it only shows 8th AF aircraft) - it seems like no Fighter Group had them installed . Must be a post-war affair. Just like the uncuffed Hamilton Standard props.

Check out this Slybird:

lh-u3.jpg

Yes little friend are great material fof inspiration. Are you made more 78th FG? 

i am in corespondence with Hue Lamb from 782th FS. Its possible to their Etta Jane II. ?

tumblr_psue1eVomY1vbbykpo1_400.jpg

054-1024x698.jpg

Some more about "Etta Jeanne II." - Etta Jeanne it's named after Huie's little sister.

FLW. - Is in honor of Fred Webster who was my flight instructor in advance in AT6,

BL - was in honor of Bill Lacy who was KIA. Great Guy from Oklahoma with whom I trained. He was in the 82nd FS.

21091821444_840e2a1ebd_b.jpg

next one ask is Capt. Robert B. Holmes. He was KIA 17. April 1945 Here in Czech Republic.

P-51%20HOlmes.jpg

P-51D Mustang, flown by 1st/Lt. Elmer K. Nieland, 83rd Fighter Squadron, 78 FG, Duxford/England, March 19, 1945. Artwork by Claes Sundin.

4230f7471f2f6c6b0cd1cb52b5298426.jpg

FB_IMG_1578954798521.jpg

FB_IMG_1578954804492.jpg

Edited by OREL_Shifty
Another Duxford eagle skin.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OREL_Shifty said:

Yes little friend are great material fof inspiration. Are you made more 78th FG? 

i am in corespondence with Hue Lamb from 782th FS. Its possible to their Etta Jane II.? 

It would be shame to spend so much time on that bloody checkered nose just for one skin😀, so I'll try to do more 78th FG. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ouky1991 said:

so I'll try to do more 78th FG. 

I've got 'Contrary Mary' just about ready so... and YES, the chequers are a NIGHTMARE although it's helped by the fact that the 3-d model is pretty much spot on!

Great skin, by the way. Saves me doing it (although I may, just because I do it wherever I go!). :good:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Raptorattacker said:

I've got 'Contrary Mary' just about ready so... and YES, the chequers are a NIGHTMARE although it's helped by the fact that the 3-d model is pretty much spot on!

Great skin, by the way. Saves me doing it (although I may, just because I do it wherever I go!). :good:

In that case I'll take "Big Dick". Pun intended. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Gents

I thought this may come in handy like it did for the P-47, so here's the part finder/Color dds file used for finding that "hard to find part"..lol....I made this for the painters out there that may need it...I figure we should all share our resources being that were a community after all...Here fellas

The file in the yellow folder is for the P-51 skin folder and the others are for the painter's reference...

Have fun painting...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/uv38xptq6veatne/P-51_Color_Chart.rar/file

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by 361st_Bugsy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Most likely no. Check those out:

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/78th-fighter-group/

Not a single 78FG bird with these anti-slip strips.

Not true, it was up to the individual pilot to add the non-slip strips on the wing. Here's a couple REAL photos with it. Although, we might  agree it could be post-war.

0420_nws_rpe-l-vetflight07.jpg

2023831307_AmarkingL3ab.jpg.a9fdf07317a5f57860d0fa9da31427ff.jpg

P-51D "Big Dick". Credit to @ICDP's template.

Edit: fixed alignment on checkers

link:

https://mega.nz/#!nCxh3SQR!jwHt2L0yctNm8OHqEDvCtpmplv9odyWtmEfxAB7XiO4

Now I understand this might seem funny or inappropriate to some poeple but lets not forget these pilots risked their lives, so no jokes...

Anyway, here are some Dick pics.

CN2xHAb.jpg

LGQgYQF.png

EG87FNb.png

I've edited the BBD in the first post. now there are 2 versions.

Edited by Ouky1991
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Ouky1991 said:

Now I understand this might seem funny or inappropriate to some poeple but lets not forget these pilots risked their lives, so no jokes...

Language changes over time. 80 years ago "Bick Dick" or "Pussy IV" had a different meaning than today. Or think about the 60s 007 Goldfinger by example, what is her name? Yes! "Ms. Pussy Galore" 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ouky1991 said:

P-51D "Big Dick". Credit to @ICDP's template.

link:

https://mega.nz/#!zGh11aDa!cfENdS7QjZ9WZDnSxq_Xl-Tv1DouJbV5lSrqgYvsCh0

CN2xHAb.jpg

LGQgYQF.png

EG87FNb.png

I've edited the BBD in the first post. now there are 2 versions.

Love your skins Ouky, I'm Canadian, any chance of doing my RCAF Mustang?

bfc9f3b449d2b2e2703b81676e373f2a.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNQOuPedhtFETAB5oabrrwAVX9QeYQ:1570525268984&q=RCAF+P51+C+Y2+images&tbm=isch&source=univ&hl=en-US&sxsrf=ACYBGNQOuPedhtFETAB5oabrrwAVX9QeYQ:1570525268984&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjn15LGpozlAhVxkuAKHf_2B00QsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=uZAQqEnhHRj8wM:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, onlyforbrian said:

Love your skins Ouky, I'm Canadian, any chance of doing my RCAF Mustang?

Sorry not at the moment, I wanna do one more 78th and then a little break.

8 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

Not true, it was up to the individual pilot to add the non-slip strips on the wing. Here's a couple REAL photos with it. Although, we might  agree it could be post-war.

Are you high?

The first picture shows a modified TF-51; the second one is right out of a flight-sim.

Incidentally, I had  checked yesterday if the strip was a Korea-thing. Nope. No Mustangs with that strip even in Korea.

Maybe the ANG came up with it - or it's entirely a civillian mod altogether.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Upvote 1

@Ouky1991 :
Thanks for your skins.

No anti-slip stripe on the original ww2 "Big Beautiful Doll". And a dark (red ?) antenna mast.

ABEAA83E-660F-4BA3-9619-BD7D09E86198.jpeg.b5e1876eee8ce0d4db5cc5e3e793614a.jpeg

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sevenless said:

80 years ago "Bick Dick" or "Pussy IV" had a different meaning than today. Or think about the 60s 007 Goldfinger by example, what is her name? Yes! "Ms. Pussy Galore" 😁

Er....no.  They had the same conotations then as they do now.:)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Er....no.  They had the same conotations then as they do now.:)

You certainly mean like "Tricky Dick Nixon", "Maj. Dick Bong" or "Maj Dick Winters". Big Dick was flown by "Maj Dick Hewitt". And Shakespeare once wrote about King Dick the Third, who was asking for a horse at Bosworth 1485. So you can safely say all Richards are Dicks? 😁

5 hours ago, AKA_Big10 said:

Can someone do Mr. Ted II and twilight tear?

I'll give it a go, after "small boy here".

8 hours ago, Pierre64 said:

@Ouky1991 :
Thanks for your skins.

No anti-slip stripe on the original ww2 "Big Beautiful Doll". And a dark (red ?) antenna mast.

ABEAA83E-660F-4BA3-9619-BD7D09E86198.jpeg.b5e1876eee8ce0d4db5cc5e3e793614a.jpeg

The antena is probably black according to the first pic in this thread, I've missed that. Will fix it, also a bit more weathering on the star. Thanks for the pic.

Edited by Ouky1991