WIS-Redcoat

Coop mode visible to friends?

So I see how to setup a campaign and how to add users.  How do the other users "see" the mission results etc?  It seems to me only the "Host" gets the benefit from PWCG and the others simply fly on your hosted missions?

This is something Pat is planning for a future release. I ended up creating a script to generate an interactive summary that I share with my squadron mates, but it's not in a state where I could share it.

image.thumb.png.c6e5bee0ffdd0c2a83adf02336b3380c.png

Let me talk about this for a moment.  First, this is back burnered until I can get BoBP and FC competed, which hopefully won't be too long.  Weeks and not months.

Right now it is the case that other participants can only fly the missions.  They can't interact with PWCG the way that SP players or the coop host can.  Please note that you can start a  cooperative or competitive campaign, you can run it, and people can participate in it.  That part is done and in place today.  What's missing is giving other participants visibility into the campaign.

I made an attempt to write the online component.  Got an angular UI running communicating with a node back end - on my machine.  I have yet to get the Angular component to be able to communicate off of my local machine, which, of course, is necessary if others are going to interact with it.  Between the fact that I am having such difficulty plus other factors like how is the host going to give people a URL to their machine, I decided that my original architecture just won't work.  Simply too much sys admin required.

I am going to go to a more traditional architecture.  The UI (probably switching to react) component will be hosted by me on something like Heroku (might even use GoDaddy since that is where PWCG downloads currently reside).  Anyway, where doesn't really matter too much - somewhere on some hosting site.  This way I take the admin burden off of every player who wants to host a campaign.  

The host will be obliged to download a synchronization client.  Running it will push PWCG campaign data to the host machine and similarly pull data that is needed.  Running the campaign sync program will be a one click process.  Admin will be done through PWCG.

PWCG will continue to NOT have any network code.  This is very important for a lot of people and there is no need to do it.  The Campaign sync program obviously will  have network code but that will be an optional download required only for coop hosts.  The sync program will be installed in the same directory as PWCG and will read the JSON files currently generated by PWCG.  It will then transmit that data (as JSON records, NEVER as files) to the PWCG Online host where it will  be available to campaign participants.

Security:

I already said it but it bears repeating: the only transmissions between the sync client and the online host will be parsed PWCG data records.  At no point will files ever be transferred as files, they will always be parsed, validated, and sent as structured data records.  Why is this important?  By transmitting parsed data as JSON I know that what I am transmitting is PWCG data and only PWCG data.  On the receiving side the host will similarly accept PWCG data in a known JSON format.

Data security: the best data security is don't collect data that needs to be secured.  That is the foremost driving principle of PWCG.  Should anybody hack PWCG they will learn that Harry has three victories.   They will not learn Harry's real name (unless he uses it - hint, don't), address, phone number, email, credit card number, bank account number ... you get the idea ... because PWCG will collect NO personally identifying information and therefore transmit none.