ICDP

P-51D Mustang 4K Skins

2 hours ago, Megalax said:

The joy of lining up camo...

I so know very much your pain, I was up well past midnight tweaking the alignment of the skin below..

655847245_rafpatternfromdefault.thumb.jpg.a76614c5a622f277a860b7f9249b5751.jpg

Seeing that I'd already started working on a standard (if there is any such thing) RAF camo, which have I based on that used in the game default RAF, I decided to finish it off before starting the so called firewall scheme which is what CV-W is is supposed to be actually wareing. I chose to keep going as I plan to do the KH677 version of CV-P as well. Which by the way I'll be uploading an updated version KH716 with some more historical corrections soon

1 hour ago, spudkopf said:

Seeing that I'd already started working on a standard (if there is any such thing) RAF camo, which have I based on that used in the game default RAF, I decided to finish it off before starting the so called firewall scheme which is what CV-W is is supposed to be actually wareing. I chose to keep going as I plan to do the KH677 version of CV-P as well. Which by the way I'll be uploading an updated version KH716 with some more historical corrections soon

I've been noticing that with Mustangs there doesnt seem to be a standard camo. Patterns appear to be all over the place.

12 hours ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

am p’anning to skin Salvatore Grentile’s Shang ri-La not Kidd Hofer

Ripper, it's up to you of course. You're the skinner. But you are aware that the picture you showed is not historically correct, right? Gentile's Shangri-La was an olive drab painted B model. He wrecked it showing off for the cameras after completing his tour. The plane was destroyed. I don't know how he survived. He never flew the D in combat, but he did fly one while doing war bond tours in the states. They painted the Shangri-La motif on the Mustang for him. That airplane did not wear invasion stripes, however. 

Okay...I found this. That, of course, is Don back in the States. 

shangri la.jpg

@Poochnboo Thé P-47’s I painted were not historically accurate simply because the 4thFG never flew D models but I still skinned Boisee Bee which I also plan to skin as a Mustang D model even though Duane Beeson only flew the B model if I recall.

Reworked CV-P, KH716 to make it more historical and to bring it closer to what is seen in pictures, this involved tweaking the code letters to better reflect the correct shape, fixing of the spinner so that now only the Hub cap is painted and further moving of the serials a tad as well.

KH716.thumb.jpg.884bdb99ec15f65aa561d1b965fa29a0.jpg

KH716

I've also created CV-P in the guise of KH677, using a cam pattern loosely based on that of the game RAF default.

602964756_RAAFCVPKH677V2.thumb.jpg.5917b97daa989151a44af94e633963d4.jpg

KH677 (Updated 17:14 Au time, sorry but what can I say, other than I'm a born tweaker)

Enjoy

Edited by spudkopf
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

Thé P-47’s I painted were not historically accurate simply because the 4thFG never flew D models but I still skinned Boisee Bee which I also plan to skin as a Mustang D model even though Duane Beeson only flew the B model if I recall.

Yeah, Beeson was shot down in his B model Mustang in April of '44, and taken prisoner. But, just to clarify. The 4TH did fly D model Thunderbolts. I think, like many, that you're under the mistaken belief that all of the D's were bubble topped Jugs. The P47D-1 through D-24 were all razorback P-47's. They began replacing the old C's in the middle of 1943. The Jug got it's bubble canopy starting with the D-25 which began reaching squadrons in the Spring of '44.

Edited by Poochnboo

5 hours ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

@Poochnboo Thé P-47’s I painted were not historically accurate simply because the 4thFG never flew D models but I still skinned Boisee Bee which I also plan to skin as a Mustang D model even though Duane Beeson only flew the B model if I recall.

Yes that is what I meant to say, they did not fly the bubble canopies. I’ve been using this site as a reference amongst others.http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/4th-fighter-group/

**Apologies, if you downloaded these, there was an error in both. Please redownload and discard the old version.**

FUXqaav.jpg

RCAF Y2-C KH661 HERE

z7KqgFV.jpg

RCAF Y2-B KH680 HERE

Edited by Megalax
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Megalax said:

FUXqaav.jpg

RCAF Y2-C KH661 HERE

z7KqgFV.jpg

RCAF Y2-B KH680 HERE

Wow...I was waiting for this..even though you forgot the Maple leaf on the tail, I love it,..thank you!! Wait...are there 2 here?? Great job!!

Edited by onlyforbrian
more info

So for anyone else wondering where the port and starboard wing tip navigation light fitting texture is, it here (see below) between the gear led door covers, with the top to the left and the bottom to the right.

1709285054_p51navligt.thumb.JPG.341704a75954d501ca7a1e5661ffd1b8.JPG 

I've upload a fixed version of my current RAAFstang KH677, this will also has a slightly refined cam pattern on the port wing and also on the nose forward of the firewall.

367191519_RAAFCVPKH677V2a.thumb.jpg.1791130d1a541fd4344b9d5cfe71f2ee.jpg

602964756_RAAFCVPKH677V2.thumb.jpg.5917b97daa989151a44af94e633963d4.jpg

Of course as the one mesh services both lights, you will need to make sure the same colour terminates at the same point on the wing tip I had to extend the cam on the starboard wind a tad as you can see below:

1633353168_p51navligt2.JPG.19bb14e5ea4281184284419bbba037aa.JPG1938658308_p51navligt3.JPG.dc5c4429105ee56c94a70ac9220821e8.JPG

Edited by spudkopf

Here is a Korean war flavor, I know wrong war.  Done in stock template finish and polished metal:

Shark1 final.jpg

Shark1 final_1.jpg

Shark2 final.jpg

Shark2 final_1.jpg

sharkmouth1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

you forgot the Maple leaf on the tail

They didnt all have one.

47266039121_52413d771b_o.jpg&key=c86801e

mustang-05_sm.jpg

mustang-442-sqn_2.jpg

mustang-03_sm.jpg

Edited by Megalax

On 10/17/2019 at 3:30 PM, Megalax said:

The joy of lining up camo...

qY0ZbiA.jpg

One tip if you're not already doing it is to turn the wire mesh layer on. I find it helps me line things up pretty well and then I just fine tune.

1 hour ago, Megalax said:

They didnt all have one.

47266039121_52413d771b_o.jpg&key=c86801e

mustang-05_sm.jpg

mustang-442-sqn_2.jpg

mustang-03_sm.jpg

Post War maybe? I dunno.. Johnny Johnson had the same maple leaf on his Spitfire

1071152-large.jpg

Edited by onlyforbrian
more info

44 minutes ago, onlyforbrian said:

Post War maybe? I dunno.. Johnny Johnson had the same maple leaf on his Spitfire

mustang-442-sqn_1.jpg

Y2-C had it. Its on the skin. Y2-B didnt have one though.

Any ETA on the full official template plate making it's presence known? 

10 minutes ago, 357th_Dog said:

Any ETA on the full official template plate making it's presence known? 

What do you mean dog the template has been out now over over two weeks in the Official Template thread, also recently for the Tempest and  P-38

Edited by BSS_Ripper*