Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
J3Hetzer

Playing with this idea, VR pilots only.

Recommended Posts

I ran an overnight listen-server last night (on my personal PC, not dedicated etc) and it was fine at eight players (the most I saw before I left it running and went to bed, it was still running fine this morning). It was set for 20 v 20, no idea how close it got to that.

The Combat Box (WW2) was bought as a group effort (I donated £30 to it) and the guy runs it from his home with 30 v 30 on the same conn as mine. So I'm thinking of a similar setup but for VR players only, pass-worded. I was a PC tech for 12 years and know how to build my own rigs etc. So we would need a cheap case, then a good mobo, CPU, cooler, PSU, RAM (32 gigs), budget GPU (it doesn't have to play the game), SSDs, Win10, copy of FC (I have a spare copy of Stalingrad). I already have a spare monitor & cheap mouse & keyboard. I would have it running 24/7 and start with using Syn Vander's mission generator (used them last night, pukka sandbox stuff). It would be mission oriented (not a dog-fight server), expert mode mostly (far vision, nav markers maybe). UK based.

I know we're very niche (WW1) and then VR-only yet more niche but I thought I'd float the idea and see the response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you ever want info/details about Combat Box I'm happy to share. At the moment we're on a home fibre connection that is rated for 150/150 megabits, and that (I think) is the limiting factor on player counts. 64 players uses maybe a maximum of 30 megabits, so we're not near the limit of the connection, but since it's a home connection rather than a dedicated business connection, I think we run into latency issues quicker than bandwidth issues.

 

With an 8600K we easily support 64 players with (depending on map and exact activity) about 10-12ms tick time. 20ms is a hard limit, and you can get up to about 15 or 16ms with no ill effects, so a slightly slower CPU is also viable. RAM is important, all the rest of the stuff is inconsequential.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Alonzo said:

If you ever want info/details about Combat Box I'm happy to share. At the moment we're on a home fibre connection that is rated for 150/150 megabits, and that (I think) is the limiting factor on player counts. 64 players uses maybe a maximum of 30 megabits, so we're not near the limit of the connection, but since it's a home connection rather than a dedicated business connection, I think we run into latency issues quicker than bandwidth issues.

 

With an 8600K we easily support 64 players with (depending on map and exact activity) about 10-12ms tick time. 20ms is a hard limit, and you can get up to about 15 or 16ms with no ill effects, so a slightly slower CPU is also viable. RAM is important, all the rest of the stuff is inconsequential.


Thanks dude. :)
 

My conn is 80 megabits so looks like it's plenty.

Edited by J3Hetzer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember we had a similar discussion about the VR-only servers, unfortunately it didn't really go anywhere. You can't really enforce it in the server settings and the password will get out eventually. Also, with the current visibility update and the new physiology the track I/R guys barely have any advantage if at all..  if that's what you were after?  

 

But an idea to host a small server with 1) lower qty of people + 2) smaller map + 3) hardcore preset/ no icons/no gps is a great one. 

 

Given the latest patch update the VR performance goes down the toilet after 20+ players join in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, moosya said:

I remember we had a similar discussion about the VR-only servers, unfortunately it didn't really go anywhere. You can't really enforce it in the server settings and the password will get out eventually. Also, with the current visibility update and the new physiology the track I/R guys barely have any advantage if at all..  if that's what you were after?  

 

But an idea to host a small server with 1) lower qty of people + 2) smaller map + 3) hardcore preset/ no icons/no gps is a great one. 

 

Given the latest patch update the VR performance goes down the toilet after 20+ players join in.

the unrealistic check six ability of TIR is still a big advantage.
With lefuneste there is the possibility to increase headturn by 20° via press of a button. If the developers would adopt this feature and increase the 20° to like 40° this would actually be enough to check six in the same way its possible with a TIR.
Then they playfield would really be even. I hope the DEVs consider this.

Edited by Winger
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Winger said:

the unrealistic check six ability of TIR is still a big advantage.

Exactly my thoughts. With the new visibility settings I can spot planes from a great distance, but check my six is a real pain. 

Most of the time I got killed from my 6' o clock where I can't turn my head like others can do it by using a TrackIR. And watching the popular YT Il2 vids I see that they are all use TIR. But even with this handicap I won't play on a monitor. After playing in VR -which feels like a real flying- playing in monitor+trackir  like playing a shooter game. I can't go back. 

And the other question is, how could you check who is playing with vr headset? I thing there is no option for such control in the game.

Edited by airsheep_VR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly. Most of the time i get shot down not even knowing there is an enemy.
I hope the devs come up with some solution soon.
Flying in VR is so much more fun then playing on this tiny flat display (even thou i have a 35 inch widescreen it feels tiny compared to VR.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Winger said:

Exactly. Most of the time i get shot down not even knowing there is an enemy.
I hope the devs come up with some solution soon.
Flying in VR is so much more fun then playing on this tiny flat display (even thou i have a 35 inch widescreen it feels tiny compared to VR.)

It may be deemed as unfair but I use the Fly-By view to check my six in VR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

It may be deemed as unfair but I use the Fly-By view to check my six in VR.

 

To my knowledge, that does not work on Combat Box, Wings of Liberty, or Knights of the Air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but track IR guys still have a big advantage over VR guys. Set up a profile and you're looking directly down your six with minimal head movements. 

 

I would love and support a VR only server. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

this still works, with Rift S and SteamVR. Gives you a 180 degrees snapview at the touch of a controller button.

 

Edited by Nibbio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can you use any controller button? Or does it have to be one of the index controllers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Winger said:

can you use any controller button? Or does it have to be one of the index controllers?

 

Only VR controllers, unfortunately. No keyboard, no game controllers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AKA_Big10 said:

Sorry, but track IR guys still have a big advantage over VR guys. Set up a profile and you're looking directly down your six with minimal head movements. 

 

I would love and support a VR only server. 

There are big advantages with VR too. I just reluctantly converted from TR to Rift S and I spot sneaky bastards trying to get into my six more easily now. By some turning maneuvers witch in fact is historical. Also aiming and distance judgement is better in VR. I say it is pretty equal

VR is a personal choice we have made and diverting a small community will not be the best answer. TR users are potential VR users when PC is upgraded. I waited until Rift S was available. Thinking sensors and low resoulution was not worth it. Still a bit on both sides when it comes to preference.   

Edited by LuseKofte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

There are big advantages with VR too. I just reluctantly converted from TR to Rift S and I spot sneaky bastards trying to get into my six more easily now. By some turning maneuvers witch in fact is historical. Also aiming and distance judgement is better in VR. I say it is pretty equal

VR is a personal choice we have made and diverting a small community will not be the best answer. TR users are potential VR users when PC is upgraded. I waited until Rift S was available. Thinking sensors and low resoulution was not worth it. Still a bit on both sides when it comes to preference.   


I tried the old TiR a few days ago and while I decided I could never go back to it, the clarity and range of view was incredible on my 3440 x 1440 screen. It's not only that you can't check 6 in VR, you can't even see the enemy in front until he's on top of you. Which rarely happens, because he's spotted you, identified your plane, your orientation and direction of travel and moved accordingly, all while you don't even know he exists. I see a blurred blob and then have to fly towards it (if he's in VR too, otherwise see "moved accordingly" above) and then 9 times out of 10 it's a head-on shootout, if we both decide the other is an enemy plane (last-second decision).

As far as I'm concerned a VR-only server is the only way ahead. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...