Blitzen

Did yesterday’s hotfix mess up your VR sharpness settings?

4 minutes ago, Fern said:

Do the settings in SteamVR still apply when you use Opencomposite?

I tried opencomposite along with oculus tool tray and didnt see much of an improvement. 

No as you would not be running Steam VR.

haven't played the game in couple of days and went out on to a couple of servers and here's what I noticed:

- the ground effect filter was set to "Blurred" and everything was.. well.. blurry. Firstly, I switched it to OFF but it looked very sparkly, regardless if my AA was at x2 or x4.  Then I switched it to "Sharp" and everything was back to normal, no more blurriness in my VivePro

- VR performance - there's a huge difference in performance between servers configured with that latest FarDistanceSpotting=ON  and FarDistanceSpotting=OFF, sorry for paraphrasing.  With the setting in OFF position the performance is almost similar to pre-patch levels, there's still some occasional stutters here and there but overall the game runs pretty smooth. But after joining the servers with the spotting ON everything turns to molasses.

10 minutes ago, moosya said:

haven't played the game in couple of days and went out on to a couple of servers and here's what I noticed:

- the ground effect filter was set to "Blurred" and everything was.. well.. blurry. Firstly, I switched it to OFF but it looked very sparkly, regardless if my AA was at x2 or x4.  Then I switched it to "Sharp" and everything was back to normal, no more blurriness in my VivePro

- VR performance - there's a huge difference in performance between servers configured with that latest FarDistanceSpotting=ON  and FarDistanceSpotting=OFF, sorry for paraphrasing.  With the setting in OFF position the performance is almost similar to pre-patch levels, there's still some occasional stutters here and there but overall the game runs pretty smooth. But after joining the servers with the spotting ON everything turns to molasses.

Flew WOL yesterday , the terrain was Kuban, and was blurry.

Visibility was on expert, still had terrible performance near cities.

17 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Flew WOL yesterday , the terrain was Kuban, and was blurry.

Visibility was on expert, still had terrible performance near cities.

strangely enough my experience was rather opposite. I guess the WMR device you're using is affected differently from the direct SteamVR ecosystem (vivepro).

I have switched to Sharp for terrain as well, given that the new spotting system makes blurred unnecessary. I also noticed that my dynamic resolution option somehow ended up at 0.5 which was ruining my in-cockpit experience. I was thrown off because when editing settings with VR disabled, it’s greyed out. Still, bad on me for not checking. 

The experience is better overall now, but still not as sharp as some “other” game. Not sure what’s going on. Hoping to enjoy my Tempest in all its glory soon enough! 

Edited by Pre

On 10/8/2019 at 4:11 PM, moosya said:

I can attest to the poor VR performance after the 3.201.  Even with PP there are pretty frequent dips below the 45fps waterline.  And that's on Balanced with 8700K at 5gz and 2080TI at 2100mz.

At this rate if IL2 devs keep on adding more stuff to the engine without focusing on its optimization the VR will lose its playability completely. And that blows. Seriously blows.

Funny I thought this 1 year ago. Pre 3.02 or so. Performance in my rift was stellar. It's been horrible ever since. Gave up. 

I have a Rift S using opencomposite that used to look okay but now its a blurry mess. I changed from blurry landscape to sharp and it improves it a bit, but not like pre-patch.

Dev announcement today, but nothing covering the blurry visuals that were suddenly introduced with the patch :(

I have given up flying due to this patch introduced blurring, apart from testing in the QMB.  Still feeling low about all this, as I find I can't enjoy the benefits of the good stuff that was introduced :(

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman

Same. I'll probably go back to Trackir. We should post something in technical issues and bug reports.

My specs:

AMD ryzen 5 2600

RX 580 8GB

16 GB ram

Rift S 

MSFFB2 joystick

Crossing fingers for a fix.

Edited by Fern

49 minutes ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Dev announcement today, but nothing covering the blurry visuals that were suddenly introduced with the patch :(

I have given up flying due to this patch introduced blurring, apart from testing in the QMB.  Still feeling low about all this, as I find I can't enjoy the benefits of the good stuff that was introduced :(

Talisman

I'm with ya.  I've downloaded a few "other" titles to keep feeding my VR flight addiction, but I really miss the pre-patch IL-2 VR experience.  At least I know it is not just my system.

I trust the developers are aware and will figure out what is broken.  It hasn't been that long since the last patches were dropped.

I appear to have solved my problem with blurry visuals and lack of sharpness in VR since the last patch.

It had not occurred to me before to actually increase my settings, but that is what has solved it for me.  It would appear that Jason and team did such a good job with the new patch that I have actually been able to increase my settings to give me better visual quality and still get acceptable fps.  I had been running conservative in-game graphic settings thinking that is what I needed to do to keep acceptable fps.  But in fact I have been able to increase my settings and still maintain fps.  Nice one dev's :)

Specifically, this is what I have done and I recommend anyone with the problems I had to give it a try, if their system is able to cope with the changes:

1.  Max-out in-game graphic settings for Distant landscape detail to x 4.  I did this with no loss of fps on my system.

2.  Max-out in-game graphic settings for Horizon draw distance to 150 km.  I did this with no loss of fps on my system.

3.  In addition to the above I have set Antialiasing to off in the in-game graphic settings.

Here are my in-game graphic settings in full.

image.thumb.png.173eca43991a40df014edd32c59a3314.png

I use the Steam VR release version, not the beta, and have turned off the Advanced Supersample Filter. 

My Steam VR Application resolution is 100% and my Steam VR Video resolution is also 100%.

I use a Pimax 5k+ and my PiTool settings are:

Brightness = Normal

Render quality = 2 (maxed out)

Contrast = + 2

Brightness = - 2

IPD Offset = -1

FOV = Normal

Refresh rate = 72 Hz

Smart smoothing = off

Parallel projection = off (this leads to double vision when using the zoom, but closing one eye helps, so hope dev's can solve this issue)

Compatible Vive only = off 

Nvidia 3d settings:

Amb Occ-not supported
Anisotripic filt-global app controlled
Antialiaing FXAA-global off
Ant FXAA-global off
Ant gamma correct-global off
Ant mode-global app controlled
Ant setting-global app ctrl
Ant Trans-8x supersample
CUDA GPUs-global all
Low latency mode-Ultra
Multi fram samp A MFAA-On
OpenGL rend GPU-global auto select
Power mngt mode-Pref max perf
Shader cache-global on
Text filt anistropic-off
Text filt neg LOD bias-clamp
Text filt quality-high quality
Text filt trilinear opt-on
Threaded opt-global auto
Triple buff-global off 
Vert sync-off
VR prerendered frames-1  

My rig specifications:

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake CPU, 6 Cores, 3.7 - 4.7GHz, overclocked 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Case - Black 
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Graphics Card 
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100x CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z370-F GAMING
Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks) 
OS Drive: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive 
Secondary Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD Hybrid Drive  
Optical Drive: 24x DVD-RW Drive 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x 80 PLUS Gold 850W PSU 
Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio 
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
Monitor Samsung 2433BW 24" TFT, 5ms response time, Res: 1920x1200

MS FF2 Joystick
Thrustmaster VG TWCS Throttle
Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals
VR Pimax 5k +
eDimensional AudioFX2 FF Vibration Headset 
Gametrix KW-908 Jetseat (with SSA software)

Good luck to anyone who may still have a problem.  Please give me feed back and let me know if any if the above helps you or not.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

• Thanks 2

I will test shortly. Basically same pc hardware but running Odyssey+. Only issue I see is 72hz for ur VR to me needing 90

@56RAF_Talisman

You run PiTool Render at 2 and SteamVR 100% - Wow.

Though, I'm on the 8K and running Il2 High Settings but with Medium Clouds - other settings are similar.

Running Large FOV, PiTool 1.25 and SteamVR 50% / 100%

Seems to run quite well.

9 hours ago, =BES=Savage-6 said:

I will test shortly. Basically same pc hardware but running Odyssey+. Only issue I see is 72hz for ur VR to me needing 90

You can alternate the Refresh-rate on the Pimax to 72Hz. The system is more likely to deliver 72fps to the 72Hz refreshrate, than 90fps to 90Hz. The result is that he has no ghosting and a smooth picture while being able to push a higher resolution.

Just some geewiz info here:

I flew the P-38 and while I had a 109 on my six, I was using the rear view mirror to view it. The 109 was almost clear as day in the mirror versus looking to my rear and actually looking at it. Weird. Just thought about it, maybe it's clearer because objects in mirror are 2d instead of 3d?

Otherwise, enemy planes still blurred and double vision.

I also tried these settings in startup per this thread for my Rift S using SteamVR with IL2 set with a custom res of 136%(each eye at 1736x1864): https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/34266-copypaste-settings-plus-zoom-for-best-spotting-and-id-odyssey-pimax5k-rift-s-rift/

Edited by Fern

11 hours ago, blitze said:

@56RAF_Talisman

You run PiTool Render at 2 and SteamVR 100% - Wow.

Though, I'm on the 8K and running Il2 High Settings but with Medium Clouds - other settings are similar.

Running Large FOV, PiTool 1.25 and SteamVR 50% / 100%

Seems to run quite well.

Yes, I can read everything in the cockpit, including small stuff like the serial number on the Spitfire gunsight without zooming in.

Happy landings,

Talisman

I use valve index VR with very high end equipment, 

after the update i’ve been looking for a fix for the FPS hit , it’s not the sharpness only 

my FPS reached 34-35 FPS not more than that in MP servers 

totally unplayable 

Talisman - reverb / only very small test, butI was following you , and now I have much better quality in game  - sp and mp

👍🏼

21 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

I use valve index VR with very high end equipment, 

after the update i’ve been looking for a fix for the FPS hit , it’s not the sharpness only 

my FPS reached 34-35 FPS not more than that in MP servers 

totally unplayable 

I think the update trashed a lot of people's VR performance.  Hopefully the devs are aware and are looking into it (they seem to be at least looking at the clouds).  I know that after trying 10+ hours worth of things on my system, I still have bad VR performance now.  I had good VR performance before the hot-fixes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, H_Steinbaur-VR said:

Talisman - reverb / only very small test, butI was following you , and now I have much better quality in game  - sp and mp

👍🏼

Great stuff! :)

Talisman

On 10/11/2019 at 10:55 PM, 56RAF_Talisman said:

I appear to have solved my problem with blurry visuals and lack of sharpness in VR since the last patch.

It had not occurred to me before to actually increase my settings, but that is what has solved it for me.  It would appear that Jason and team did such a good job with the new patch that I have actually been able to increase my settings to give me better visual quality and still get acceptable fps.  I had been running conservative in-game graphic settings thinking that is what I needed to do to keep acceptable fps.  But in fact I have been able to increase my settings and still maintain fps.  Nice one dev's :)

Specifically, this is what I have done and I recommend anyone with the problems I had to give it a try, if their system is able to cope with the changes:

1.  Max-out in-game graphic settings for Distant landscape detail to x 4.  I did this with no loss of fps on my system.

2.  Max-out in-game graphic settings for Horizon draw distance to 150 km.  I did this with no loss of fps on my system.

3.  In addition to the above I have set Antialiasing to off in the in-game graphic settings.

I use the Steam VR release version, not the beta, and have turned off the Advanced Supersample Filter. 

My Steam VR Application resolution is 100% and my Steam VR Video resolution is also 100%.

Brightness = Normal

Contrast = + 2

Brightness = - 2

IPD Offset = -1

FOV = Normal

Refresh rate = 72 Hz

Smart smoothing = off

Parallel projection = off (this leads to double vision when using the zoom, but closing one eye helps, so hope dev's can solve this issue)

Nvidia 3d settings:

Amb Occ-not supported
Ant FXAA-global off
Ant Trans-8x supersample
CUDA GPUs-global all
Low latency mode-Ultra
Shader cache-global on
Text filt anistropic-off
Threaded opt-global auto
Triple buff-global off 
Vert sync-off
VR prerendered frames-1  

My rig specifications:

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake CPU, 6 Cores, 3.7 - 4.7GHz, overclocked 

MS FF2 Joystick
VR Pimax 5k +

Good luck to anyone who may still have a problem.  Please give me feed back and let me know if any if the above helps you or not.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

thank you very much, the multiplayer has been better, I have oculus( without s) although before in sp I had no problems, in mp it was a shame, I tried on a couple of servers and everything has gone much better, I still do not see the contacts well but at less everything goes much better, I said thank you very much

Man this all sound pretty disheartening, I just ordered a Pimax 5K+ today. 😕

Ah, the trials and tribulations of the VR trailblazers. 😐

• Haha 1

Oculus Rift / Rift S users:

I switched back to SteamVR and disabled 'advanced supersampling filtering', spotting now much easier. Running exactly my panel resolution in SteamVR (98%, steamvr is weird). 

This appears to be optimum spotting for me, no longer using open composite. It's a shame but worthwhile.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:55 PM, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Brightness = Normal

Contrast = + 2

Brightness = - 2

IPD Offset = -1

FOV = Normal

Refresh rate = 72 Hz

Smart smoothing = off

Nvidia 3d settings:

Amb Occ-not supported
Ant FXAA-global off
Ant Trans-8x supersample
CUDA GPUs-global all
Low latency mode-Ultra
Shader cache-global on
Text filt anistropic-off
Threaded opt-global auto
Triple buff-global off 
Vert sync-off
VR prerendered frames-1  

My rig specifications:

MS FF2 Joystick
VR Pimax 5k +

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Talisman, these Nvidia settings are good ones I think.  Using these plus running the MSI Afterburner scan settings on my GPU have got me back to where the game runs well enough be be fun again.  It still has some ghosting of planes when you get close that it did not have before the patch but it's definitely playable and mostly enjoyable again.  Thanks for posting this.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:55 PM, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Brightness = Normal

Contrast = + 2

Brightness = - 2

IPD Offset = -1

FOV = Normal

Refresh rate = 72 Hz

Smart smoothing = off

Nvidia 3d settings:

Amb Occ-not supported
Ant FXAA-global off
Ant Trans-8x supersample
CUDA GPUs-global all
Low latency mode-Ultra
Shader cache-global on
Text filt anistropic-off
Threaded opt-global auto
Triple buff-global off 
Vert sync-off
VR prerendered frames-1  

My rig specifications:

MS FF2 Joystick
VR Pimax 5k +

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Super pc

Anyone know if ASW 2.0 from Oculus will be implemented? I wonder if this will help with the planes ghosting.

7 hours ago, Fern said:

Anyone know if ASW 2.0 from Oculus will be implemented? I wonder if this will help with the planes ghosting.

It was implemented in May.

On 10/8/2019 at 8:44 AM, chiliwili69 said:

Just a note, the clarity in the Index was as before (ie good), the last update and patch didn´t affect the visual quality. It must be then something related to the new canted display thing or something specific to the Pimax software, SteamVR and IL-2.

Perhaps that 4096 pixel limit of SteamVR:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/why-is-super-sampling-in-steam-vr-limited-to-4096x3463-always/13346

FYI - with my Index and Reverb (I sent it back, since the Index imo is better), I have also not noticed that something is worse than before the hotfix.

Edited by Wuerger62

I did something that made the graphics better, but it runs like crap. Atleast I finally know what the game is suppose to look like. Planes were clear, but still ghosting. Blur gone though.

I checked marked ultra settings...if I didnt have to restart the game everytime a setting is changed, this wouldnt be a huge pain in the ass.