Blitzen

Did yesterday’s hotfix mess up your VR sharpness settings?

I use Pimax 5K and after the recent hotfix the clarity which had been very good indeed dropped significantly.I had been using startup settings & Pitool settings as suggested in the VR section of this forum but even re-setting them & Pitool as well hasn’t made much difference.Has anyone else had this experience? Have you solved the problem...if so how? Desperate to get back to Thursday!

• Upvote 1

Yes, me too using Rift s... 

Was really good in the beginning than yesterday could not spot... and groundtargets disapeared..only with vr zoom i could see the vehicles... 

I have a hard time reading the cockpit gauges now with my WMR Lenovo Explorer. It used to be better. On the other hand, holding 90fps even with the HUD on is no problem.

Does this have anything to do with the FPS target multiplier? That may not be the exact name, it’s the setting which goes from 0.5 to 1.0. I believe it’s new. 

Having company is somewhat comforting & yet the issue is still disturbing isn't it?

giphy.gif.21623075258dde2e9c0a85379368113e.gif

4 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I use Pimax 5K and after the recent hotfix the clarity which had been very good indeed dropped significantly.I had been using startup settings & Pitool settings as suggested in the VR section of this forum but even re-setting them & Pitool as well hasn’t made much difference.Has anyone else had this experience? Have you solved the problem...if so how? Desperate to get back to Thursday!

+1

1 hour ago, whitav8 said:

I noticed that there are in-game IPD settings now - check those.

What in "Graphics'? Just noticed another hotfix installing just now too...

Ah in Key strokes..I would have never found it without you mentioning it...Thanks !!

AND I am happy to announce at least for me the new hotfix has all my problems stamped:

download.png

Edited by Blitzen

IPD is at the bottom in Service. I'm going to try this out. This VR thing has been a pain to setup...

+Correction IPD  ---      LeftShft + Numpad Add

-Correction  IPD  __     LeftShft + Numpad Enter

11 hours ago, Fern said:

IPD is at the bottom in Service. I'm going to try this out. This VR thing has been a pain to setup...

+Correction IPD  ---      LeftShft + Numpad Add

-Correction  IPD  __     LeftShft + Numpad Enter

What does this do?

Lets say I have my IPD at 62.5 and its already calibrated in my WMR for my HP Reverb.

Do I still benefit from this IPD correction?

Is there a way to turn it back to default?

I imagine  it just changes the world scale if it works like in some other games.

Edited by dburne

4 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

What does this do?

Lets say I have my IPD at 62.5 and its already calibrated in my WMR for my HP Reverb.

Do I still benefit from this IPD correction?

Is there a way to turn it back to default?

I'd like to know this as well.

My IPD is 68, which is close enough to the Reverb's 67 max. But with these settings, can I bump it out to 68 within IL2?

I messed with the IPD correction and didnt notice any difference in quality. It goes from -30 to +30. Whatever that means.

I set my PD to 64 according to my gas mask specs from military in Oculus app. Cockpit looks great, but planes are still double vision and blurry. FPS at 39. I guess my ryzen 5 2600 and rx 580 are not suited for VR in this game.

My system (6700k @ 4.2, 1070ti overclocked, Rift) was able to run all career missions on fairly low graphics settings in VR without any ghosting and good FPS (50-90 usually) until the last couple of patches.  Now I've reduced graphics to the absolute minimum and my FPS is still down after the last patch, plus I get ghosting all over the place.

Basically the patch turned a formerly amazing experience into one that's pretty annoying with all the blurriness and ghosting.  I'll just take a break and hopefully this will be fixed with further patching sometime down the line.  Too bad as I was really having a lot of fun with all of the new planes I'd gotten from the sale!  Ah well, I can be patient.

Edited by cmorris975
  • Upvote 1

VR sharpness is no longer as good as it was.  Overall visuals are worse than I have ever known them.  This is a great shame :(

I can understand that the dev's are trying to improve things, so I wish them luck and hope that they can sort this out soon.  So many other things are great with the new patch, just not the VR visual experience.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman
  • Like 1

I suppose this explains why the Reverb doesn’t have as much of a “wow” factor when switching between it and a Vive Pro and Index. I test them all periodically. 

This all sounds a little disheartening. I am currently deep into another project and have not had a chance to check out the new version yet, and may not get to for a few days.

Hopefully they will get it ironed out at some point soon.

Plus my preference is my PWCG Cold Start Campaign, and as I understand cold start is a bit nerfed with this update due to AI never taxing to runway.

Anxious to try it but promised myself I would finish this other thing I have going on first.

Strange, finding things are looking good on the 8K

PiTool render at 0.75, Normal FOV, SteamVR 100%.  Both Balanced and High settings doing well on those settings.  At PiTool Render 1 and High Il2 Graphics preset - things were slow. 

There seems to be better CPU utilisation and in Career on the Kuban, with clouds my 4 cores were being hit hard but the frames were in the 40's to 50's which for me is good.  Landmarks easy to see, no double vision aircraft, spotting good, just a little terrain popping on Balanced Setting with the elevated terrain.

I might again try FFR and see how I go.....

VR graphics are so blurry now.  Also, the alternative visual setting is awful to say the least.  I have given up flying with my squad in MP, which is why I purchased IL-2, as the visual experience is just miserable for me.  Hope the dev's can fix this soon and I wish them luck.  Such a shame as so many good things were introduced with the patch, but they have been overshadowed by the overall drop in graphics quality.  Hope the Pimax 5K and other VR testers are giving some feedback to the dev's regarding the loss of visual quality.

Whish we could go back to the pre-patch graphics.  

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake CPU, 6 Cores, 3.7 - 4.7GHz, overclocked 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Case - Black 
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Graphics Card 
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100x CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z370-F GAMING
Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks) 
OS Drive: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive 
Secondary Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD Hybrid Drive  
Optical Drive: 24x DVD-RW Drive 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x 80 PLUS Gold 850W PSU 
Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio 
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
Monitor Samsung 2433BW 24" TFT, 5ms response time, Res: 1920x1200

MS FF2 Joystick
Thrustmaster VG TWCS Throttle
Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals
VR Pimax 5k +
eDimensional AudioFX2 FF Vibration Headset 
Gametrix KW-908 Jetseat (with SSA software)

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I’m not sure how people are claiming that an in-game software IPD adjustment is making the graphics better. 

Just a note, the clarity in the Index was as before (ie good), the last update and patch didn´t affect the visual quality. It must be then something related to the new canted display thing or something specific to the Pimax software, SteamVR and IL-2.

Perhaps that 4096 pixel limit of SteamVR:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/why-is-super-sampling-in-steam-vr-limited-to-4096x3463-always/13346

After extensive testing - yes it did.  Clouds look like crap, land textures have less detail and quite a blur especially in the mid to far distance ranges.

Clouds also have a much larger impact on frames.

On the flip side, Foreated Rendering is more stable.

• Upvote 1

I know my specs arent great, but I'm impressed with this score...I would of thought it wouldn't look so bad.

https://www.3dmark.com/vrm/40030417?

I changed some settings somewhere, I cant remember if it was in SteamVR, Oculus Home, OTT, or Opencomposite. But I changed some display to "Both Eyes - Right Eye Dominant". I want to change it back, but i cant find where I did that.

Edited by Fern

4 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Just a note, the clarity in the Index was as before (ie good), the last update and patch didn´t affect the visual quality. It must be then something related to the new canted display thing or something specific to the Pimax software, SteamVR and IL-2.

Perhaps that 4096 pixel limit of SteamVR:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/why-is-super-sampling-in-steam-vr-limited-to-4096x3463-always/13346

As you are not affected by it, we can conclude that it's not IL-2.

So, SteamVR, as it affects multiple headsets of other manufacturers as well. Samsungs don't use PImax software (which hasn't changed anyway).

Valve have been playing foul cards all the time in the past, since they planned on introducing the Index, starting with the LH v2.0 station and technology holdback against Pimax (which is why the KS are only receiving their LH stations now), the fallout with HTC, the limitations put on Pimax headsets through SteamVR (pixels), them not allowing native PP integration as well, the last minute driver fiasco with the Index Controllers, etc. 

I am on the SteamVR beta and it updated with the IL2 hotfix as well. I'll take a look at the SteamVR non-beta later. 

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

3 hours ago, blitze said:

Clouds also have a much larger impact on frames.

This i can confirm, startet  il2 after "summer break" right with the release of the update. had to go down to medium, before even with clouds high i got solid 90fps most od the time. 

Not sure how much sharpness changed, but i have to admit after 1/2 year without VR it felt less crisp than i remember. This thread kind of confirms my feeling.

Overall a sadly step back in performance and visuals.

on my system: rift/i5-4670k/amd vega 56/win 10, clarity/FPS  is the same as before. No issues here.

I'm on Index and definitely seeing smeared/doubled contacts right now. I'm also playing with PP off after editing the config file. I'll reenable PP and see if there's a difference.

• Thanks 1

I can attest to the poor VR performance after the 3.201.  Even with PP there are pretty frequent dips below the 45fps waterline.  And that's on Balanced with 8700K at 5gz and 2080TI at 2100mz.

At this rate if IL2 devs keep on adding more stuff to the engine without focusing on its optimization the VR will lose its playability completely. And that blows. Seriously blows.

• Upvote 2

On the flip side, with what they have done, Kuban is of similar performance to other maps now. 😁

Strange they went this way when the previous patch was quite good.  Maybe they think by blurring everything, it will make contacts easier to track against background clutter.

Even with Sharpen Filter on in Graphics Settings - it doesn't do much.  I just hope to think it is an experiment and WIP.

• Upvote 1

This is kind of funny really. Fenris Wolf might have a good point. I have a Rift S and have to have oculus app and steam app running to play game. Too many things to tweak. What a nightmare trying to setup VR.

Devs tell us not to buy game on steam, yet this game's VR is dependent on SteamVR...

36 minutes ago, Fern said:

This is kind of funny really. Fenris Wolf might have a good point. I have a Rift S and have to have oculus app and steam app running to play game. Too many things to tweak. What a nightmare trying to setup VR.

Devs tell us not to buy game on steam, yet this game's VR is dependent on SteamVR...

You have an alternative to Steam VR with Rift.

Open Composite:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9nxixe/systemwide_installation_for_opencomposite_released/

Way better than Steam VR which has become too bloated (IMHO).

I have been running my Rift S through it, much better to me.

45 minutes ago, dburne said:

You have an alternative to Steam VR with Rift.

Open Composite:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9nxixe/systemwide_installation_for_opencomposite_released/

Way better than Steam VR which has become too bloated (IMHO).

I have been running my Rift S through it, much better to me.

I do have to say, however, that being able to turn off the advanced supersampling filter in SteamVR actually comes in handy for VR. Sacrificing some blur for more pixels.

Open composite is so good that it's hard to go back just for that... argh.

Do the settings in SteamVR still apply when you use Opencomposite?

I tried opencomposite along with oculus tool tray and didnt see much of an improvement (FPS / yes -- blurry contacts / no ).

Edited by Fern