dburne

Rift and Rift S - can now launch without Oculus Home

Posted (edited)

In the new Public Test Channel of the Oculus Software - 1.42 PTC.

Oculus has finally given it's Rift users the ability to run VR without the requirement of having Oculus Home open.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/81054/rift-s-and-rift-1-42-ptc-release-notes#latest

We added a new toggle for automatically launching Home. Switching this setting off will stop Home from auto-launching in scenarios like jumping into VR and exiting out of apps. You can find this option within the Settings > General menu inside Oculus desktop app.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes as I mentioned it is on the PTC ( Public Test Channel) which you can opt in for.

It is under the settings/Beta tab. Once opted in it will start the download for that version.

Or you can wait until testing is complete and it rolls out to release version.

I did have a run with it, the software still launches along with Dash, you just do not get the room environment loaded.

Edited by dburne

Slightly off topic, but not too far off...

Can a Rift S user tell me... Well, I read the fine print on the Rift S requirements page: "Set up requires an IPhone or Android mobile phone and Oculus App"

Is this a must? If you don't have a private IPhone or Android, can you not get the Rift S working? And why on earth does one need to use a phone anyway?

Curious.

1 hour ago, Flitgun said:

Can a Rift S user tell me... Well, I read the fine print on the Rift S requirements page: "Set up requires an IPhone or Android mobile phone and Oculus App"

Is this a must? If you don't have a private IPhone or Android, can you not get the Rift S working? And why on earth does one need to use a phone anyway?

Curious.

Never even heard of this. Been using Rift S since June, never used my phone for the setup.

However I am using my old Oculus account since 2017, maybe things have changed in the meantime?

2 hours ago, Flitgun said:

Curious.

...this is for the Oculus Quest (the stand alone headset). You don't need a phone to set up the Rift S.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Lensman1945 said:

...this is for the Oculus Quest (the stand alone headset). You don't need a phone to set up the Rift S.

Ah, I see now. The 3 *** refer only to the Quest. Makes sense now. Good news. Thank you both.

Can you offer a quick word on how the S compares to the CV1? Amazing difference? Not much? I haven't been looking until now.

8 minutes ago, Flitgun said:

Ah, I see now. The 3 *** refer only to the Quest. Makes sense now. Good news. Thank you both.

Can you offer a quick word on how the S compares to the CV1? Amazing difference? Not much? I haven't been looking until now.

For me it was an impressive increase in sharpness and detail..definitely a 'wow' moment. I find the headset is more comfortable too. Just needed to add some Koss KSC75 Clip-On Stereo Headphones for when I need more dynamic sound.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flitgun said:

Yes the Rift S is a nice upgrade over Rift. Inside Out tracking is very good, and I too find the Halo design to be very comfortable.

It's weaknesses:
Headstrap Audio - not so great. I use a set of earbuds myself plugged into Rift S, sound is very good.

Mic - iffy for some. I got an inexpensive desktop usb mic, and solved that issue. 

I have been using my Rift S since May and very much enjoying it.