Wanderfalke

Custom cockpit photo made easy with Paint!

Posted (edited)

Problem..for some reason the cockpit photo has been removed after I had to reinstall the Battle of Stalingrad. Please would anyone advise me how to restore it. Not even Cockpit Photo Mod helps ???

kindly Jussi of Finland

Edited by jussitska

A lot of people are getting nowhere with this. Maybe someone could host this like they do with skins? I'd like a Lily Litvyak pic to grace the cockpit of my Yak9T.

Thanking anyone in advance..

On 6/21/2020 at 7:33 AM, jussitska said:

Problem..for some reason the cockpit photo has been removed after I had to reinstall the Battle of Stalingrad. Please would anyone advise me how to restore it. Not even Cockpit Photo Mod helps ???

kindly Jussi of Finland

After i had to reinstall, i had to turn om the photo function again in the plane setting next to where you choose your skin).

On 6/21/2020 at 7:20 PM, Reggie_Mental said:

A lot of people are getting nowhere with this. Maybe someone could host this like they do with skins? I'd like a Lily Litvyak pic to grace the cockpit of my Yak9T.

Thanking anyone in advance..

Russian-ACE-Lydia-Litvyak-grey.jpg.89d4c752bedcac8d4f9afeb5f78af734.jpg

Download .dds file:custom_photo.rar

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2020 at 8:13 PM, III./SG77Classen said:

I made one of my fiance. I surprised her by having her check it out in VR. She loved it so much she did not mind me playing a few hours more.

pinup.jpg

She makes my Stuka look pretty! :)

pinup2.jpg

You have a missus like that, and you're spending you're  time on Il2???

Ha ha ha.......

We need to have words!!!

Edited by JG5_Schuck
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Wanderfalke said:

After i had to reinstall, i had to turn om the photo function again in the plane setting next to where you choose your skin).

Yes..thank You.. I did find it, and now it works😁

Posted (edited)

20200628172448_1.thumb.jpg.366502d5360a27e060dc8e223fcd588a.jpg

Here's an example from my P-51. It was a little tricky, but I got through it with some trial and error. I used a simple file converter app, not the methods given here so far. Being free (thus mediocre), it had trouble converting JPG and PNG into DDS, but BMP to DDS worked. Then it had trouble resizing the BMP into a 1024x1024 DDS. So I picked only large photos and cropped them down to roughly 1024x1024 before resizing them to precisely 1024x1024 (to make a 1:1 ratio); there was very little distortion as a result. I included a large dead space (of empty background) on the right side to compensate for the portion that would be cut off. All the pre-conversion editing was done with an extremely basic paint app.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is. Glad I did it, though; it's a fun way to personalize the cockpit. I have different photos for each nation, and I made them all black and white so they don't stand out too much from a distance.

I didn't use 40s actresses, but I did try to keep my broads classy.

Well, classy-ish.

Edited by oc2209
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

@Wanderfalke 

Thanks for the Lily picture. Could you perhaps do the honours with this Scarlett Johansson look-alike? 

TYIA

See the source image

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/520376931915563577/

Roza Georgiyevna Shanina. Soviet sniper, credited with 54 confirmed kills, including 12 snipers during the Battle of Vilnius.

scarlett-johansson-people-s-choice-awards-2018-part-ii-19.thumb.jpg.0dc78bc0afa192aaeb5e5fb4b4ffb3ab.jpg

Scarlett Johansson. Not a sniper and no confirmed kills.

Edited by Reggie_Mental
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Reggie_Mental said:

@Wanderfalke 

Thanks for the Lily picture. Could you perhaps do the honours with this Scarlett Johansson look-alike? 

TYIA

See the source image

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/520376931915563577/

Roza Georgiyevna Shanina. Soviet sniper, credited with 54 confirmed kills, including 12 snipers during the Battle of Vilnius.

scarlett-johansson-people-s-choice-awards-2018-part-ii-19.thumb.jpg.0dc78bc0afa192aaeb5e5fb4b4ffb3ab.jpg

Scarlett Johansson. Not a sniper and no confirmed kills.

custom_photo.rar

Don't let her distract you to much during flight:)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Cheers Wanderfalke. She kinda looks right in a 'Girl from the collective farm' sort of way in my agricultural-looking Yak9T cockpit.

BD41A3D00E7F329036D5320B4937E709218B1AED (1920×1080)

Edited by Reggie_Mental
  • Like 2

Is anyone having the problem that any cockpit photos they try to use come out completely black?

I successfully made one a few weeks ago, but every time I've tried recently, it's just come out black, even though it looks correct in the thumbnail inside the folder in Windows.

I'm using Paint to resize the canvas, and save as a jpg, then aconvert.com to convert it to a dds.

1 hour ago, chris_uk_83 said:

Is anyone having the problem that any cockpit photos they try to use come out completely black?

I successfully made one a few weeks ago, but every time I've tried recently, it's just come out black, even though it looks correct in the thumbnail inside the folder in Windows.

I'm using Paint to resize the canvas, and save as a jpg, then aconvert.com to convert it to a dds.

In the converter are you resizing to 1024 x 1024?

Are you certain you are converting to dds, I had same issue and then found that for some reason the image I was trying to use was jpeg not dds.

Failing that have you changed the  name of the file to   custom_photo

Ah, does the size have to be 1024 X 1024? This could be my error, I just thought it had to be a square aspect ratio. I'll try that.

I'm sure all the other things are correct.

Is it possible to change the image size and its position in the cab?😁

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chris_uk_83 said:

Ah, does the size have to be 1024 X 1024? This could be my error, I just thought it had to be a square aspect ratio. I'll try that.

Yest, it needs to be sized to 1024x1024 in the converter.

On 7/1/2020 at 4:06 PM, Reggie_Mental said:

Cheers Wanderfalke. She kinda looks right in a 'Girl from the collective farm' sort of way in my agricultural-looking Yak9T cockpit.

BD41A3D00E7F329036D5320B4937E709218B1AED (1920×1080)

Looking great! Glad i could help.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/5/2020 at 6:48 AM, chris_uk_83 said:

Yep, fixing the image size made it work. Thanks!

On 6/10/2020 at 12:56 PM, Player_28404 said:

I think my problem is that I don't have an app to read the dds

my issue is, after u dowload the dds file, WHERE in my files i can found the dds file?

Check the map "Downloads".

On 7/7/2020 at 3:47 PM, Player_28404 said:

my issue is, after u dowload the dds file, WHERE in my files i can found the dds file?

Go to the options or setting of your Browser and check where your downloads go. Like mentioned above, normally your downloads got to the folder called downloads. c:/Users/Your name/Downloads.