[TLC]MasterPooner

Please put the Spotting back

On 10/17/2019 at 6:50 PM, gimpy117 said:

bring it back, it was an equalizer to the lower end players who don't have a monster rig. it really made the game more fun and fair and I'm really, really sad that the few people who had an advantage with high end rigs were able to complain enough to get the devs to change it and we are here stuck in the "complaints" section that they probably never read

prove me wrong and reply to this devs 

They did bring it back as Alternate Visibility. And the Visibility setting has nothing to do with how strong your system is AFAIK

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

They did bring it back as Alternate Visibility. And the Visibility setting has nothing to do with how strong your system is AFAIK

Some people seem to think the guys with high def monitors have some kind of magic vision and won’t listen to anyone about it. In reality it may very well be the opposite given the number of people with 1440 p displays who dislike the current normal spotting. 

The guys with faster rigs get a prettier game, that’s it. Head tracking and a good HOTAS are much bigger advantages than a high res monitor.

• Upvote 2

For those advocating we now have a choice between two visibility options... No we don't. Alternate with all its benefits (scaling) features ludicrously long and unrealistic rendering distances. Therefore MP servers are forced to use Expert mode.

Expert is handicapped* for a lot of users and ALT unrealistic for the majority thus completely nullifying the benefits it gives as far as scaling and close range spotting goes.

* Problems with spotting that can currently be found around various forum posts range from bad contrast or too sudden change, contacts completely disappearing depending on the zoom level, to the down right perfect blending with the blue sky at very close ranges (6-8km) that even pixel spotting isn't an option.

Devs, further tuning is needed. Please... sooner than later. :)

EDIT: Hope this helps someone else out reading this:

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
link to the post with settings
  • Upvote 1

The past week I've jumped on and flown for about an hour each night and haven't seen an enemy aircraft.

My flights are in a Mustang patrolling the front in a 60-70 player server and I just fly around by myself.

Last night in a 59 minute flight I actually had a P38 and a Tempest pop into view, within 8 seconds we passed each other and they were gone again into the blue.

Absolute unplayable trash.

Just bought this game mainly because they "fixed" the view distance problems.

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 3

Been flying in a quick mission last night, and there is an obvious contrast change solely dependent on the zoom level. Example: contact at 5-6km distance, in a broad daylight and same altitude as me (this was at 4000m, above clouds) can shift from white LOD to almost completely black if you zoom in or out (in this case zoom making it possible to ID the target, and the plane LOD is rendered in higher details - turns black). During a dogfight, this could be one of the main culprits for losing targets as depending on the shift from white to black or vice versa the contact can then blend in easily into the background - and all you did was zoom in / out.

The spotting at 5-6km ranges is affected by this the most, that is when you start zooming in to ID the target. My impression is that this is less pronounced on the ALT spotting, this making it somewhat easier to spot and track targets around you.

Not sure if this is a downside to rendering surface reflections on planes. No matter the spotting system, it should be fixed IMHO.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

On 10/31/2019 at 4:07 AM, [DBS]TH0R said:

No matter the spotting system, it should be fixed IMHO.

Agreed 100%, I also noticed the contrast change.

I have a track where it is clear that with 100% zoom the contact is dark, and in mid zoom it changes color and almost disappears, at least on my monitor, an IPS ultrawide (1080p). I'll see if I can put some tracks together, because this one is long and has some dogfights in it. I tried recording the section with OBS, but I can't get a good quality of it, perhaps I need a 2080 TI? I'm not sure. Tried everything and saw several YouTube tutorials.

If you could, put some tracks together and open a bug report. I reported two already (one that people were reporting already as it seems / planes disappearing against the clouds).

1 hour ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

I might do a video, but lately I am pressed for time.

Which card do you have? Shadowplay works for me, if you have 7XX card or newer you can use it do record a video too:

https://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/system-requirements

Else you can try FRAPS.

GTX 1060 6GB. It is a bit old. I'll try Shadowplay. If I recall correctly, FRAPS gives me the same result as the Windows app. OBS is the one who is giving me the best results, but in this case, for contrast, it would be better to do like a 4K video. Although we have the tracks. Since these updates, I have been recording a lot of tracks to understand what's happening and report some bugs. I'll see if I can start recording some contrast tracks.

The visibility update seems to be all over the place. I lost count of how many times I lost contact with folks who were dogfighting with me, and dogfights in WWI have a very narrow radius. Although this was a problem also present before the update. It could only have gotten worse [it appears so], now with these problems / bugs.

It is as if the effect of sun reflecting from the wings is lost depending on the zoom level. I'll try to record the effect next time I am flying...

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2019 at 4:15 PM, Mr_Steven said:

The past week I've jumped on and flown for about an hour each night and haven't seen an enemy aircraft.

My flights are in a Mustang patrolling the front in a 60-70 player server and I just fly around by myself.

Last night in a 59 minute flight I actually had a P38 and a Tempest pop into view, within 8 seconds we passed each other and they were gone again into the blue.

Absolute unplayable trash.

Just bought this game mainly because they "fixed" the view distance problems.

If you were flying multiplayer then the spotting was not enabled.  I don't actually know of any multiplayer servers that have it implemented due to the complaints about it.  I like it as with vr i can actually see people without the need for lables.  You sadly have to fly single player and you go into the settings and check the a box to enable it.

The game is dying by the day, and I put it mostly down to visibility/spotting. The messed up, big time, and everyone is leaving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Tasmanaut said:

The game is dying by the day, and I put it mostly down to visibility/spotting. The messed up, big time, and everyone is leaving.

Show evidence please.  

On 1/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, Mobile_BBQ said:

Show evidence please.  

I know at least I have played A LOT less and had 3 friends not come back after the new visibility change. had one wonderful week where we actually had fun playing and not getting bounced by invisible 109's or flying around blind all the time. they all just play DCS now and I don't really have the liquidity to throw down 70 bucks on a single plane in that game.

so I just strap my sight cane to my p-40 and load up the seeing eye dog and hope for the best. even after the new supposed contrast fix it's just as bad. 

some people are able to see you, yet me, and all people i used to fly with on different rigs continue to be blind. I don't know if the people who are magically able to see you are lucky, have some magic hardware combination, or are just cheating but I sure as heck am not one of the "anointed ones" who will argue tooth and nail to keep spotting the silly way it currently is 

If you read Jason’s post in the “Officers Club” he states that nothing changed in that patch within 0-10km as far as spotting is concerned. So the request to change it “back” doesn’t make sense perhaps. 
If you want the enlarged models at distances greater than 10k there’s the Alternate Visibility setting. 

Edited by SharpeXB