Micro Stuters

9./JG54_GERMANWOLF

On 11/15/2019 at 6:55 AM, cmorris975 said:

I'm not playing multiplayer at the moment but my system is running single-player IL-2 in VR now smoothly again.  The last few patches seems to have helped my particular setup quite a bit.  

I was very frustrated with the 3.2 patches leading up to BoBP release as the first big patch got IL-2 running better than ever on my system but the smaller patches after came close to ruining it with stutters and ghosting (all single-player).  I was pissed as I had just bought some planes and was really loving the career mode in VR on my modest system.  Those small patches had me putting endless hours into my setup trying to get the performance back.  Nothing really did enough to get the performance back.  I say this to elucidate how bad it was a month ago.

I think it is more or less fixed now, however.  I'm flying with a 6700k + 1070 ti + 24 GB 2133 mhz RAM off an older SSD in VR and using medium clouds and shadows.  It looks gorgeous.  There's a little ghosting with fights over airfields but it is really minimal.  

I do overclock somewhat and make sure to use open composite, but that's it.  The reinstall on my SSD and elimination of any unnecessary programs probably helped at least a little as well.

I hope you all find some solutions soon.

Most people in this thread have fair to excellent performance in single player. If you're interested, I would see if you have a similar experience in MP as well. If you have issues in MP-only as many people here do, then it would help to post in the stickied thread about your experience in SP vs. MP. 

Single player stutters probably have to do with increased performance loads on the new maps and with new planes, effects, render distances, etc. Its why there's two threads set up and stickied for the purpose - the devs must think they are separate issues and the evidence in this thread and elsewhere agrees with that. I can load up a SP mission with tons of AI and have it be about as smooth as pre-patch, except over the bigger cities, but when I am in a crowded MP space I get stutters. Reducing settings (and unticking 4k textures) has reduced the stutters but I am not back to where I was before the release of P-51/Tempest/P-38, which is roughly when most people started getting this really bad.

Additionally they optimized the clouds a bit in the last patch which actually helped me very slightly in MP and may have helped you a lot in VR, but not enough to completely eliminate stutters for me. On maps with more clouds I still have more frequent stutters.

SOMETHING in Multiplayer is adding to the load on many people's systems. The HUD seems to have a disproportionate impact too, and if you want to see the chat in MP you need to have it on, so turning off the HUD is really not much of an option there. Many people seem to be able to eliminate it or reduce it by lowering their settings and making adjustments, but some people cannot. I know some people were encountering stutters before the big patch, and that's why we got "Jason's guide to graphics smoothness" forum post, which worked for most or at least reduced the problem. But lots of the tips in that post no longer work...for example, that post advises to turn Fullscreen OFF and 4k Textures ON. For me, the game is smoother with those reversed now.

Most of the advice to turn down settings works for some I think because it gives people's systems 'headroom' of unused system resources to deal with the performance spikes we are seeing online, and that are documented in the Stutters in Multiplayer Research thread. It also may be why the Rheinland map is the worst culprit for this online, it has higher requirements and chews up the headroom that people had.

People who had good computers that weren't running close to full performance had room to absorb the spikes in load with no issue, and it appears that some setups, at least, deal with them better than others.

Generally, at least on the English forum, we don't see any announcements on bug fixes or optimization unless its in a dev diary, which means its well under way and they're pretty sure its going to work. Unfortunately this means that we have no idea if the problem has been found, if they are working on it, or when a solution might come, until its almost here. There was no mention of a fix coming in the latest dev diary but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Most people in this thread have fair to excellent performance in single player. If you're interested, I would see if you have a similar experience in MP as well. If you have issues in MP-only as many people here do, then it would help to post in the stickied thread about your experience in SP vs. MP. 

Single player stutters probably have to do with increased performance loads on the new maps and with new planes, effects, render distances, etc. Its why there's two threads set up and stickied for the purpose - the devs must think they are separate issues and the evidence in this thread and elsewhere agrees with that. I can load up a SP mission with tons of AI and have it be about as smooth as pre-patch, except over the bigger cities, but when I am in a crowded MP space I get stutters. Reducing settings (and unticking 4k textures) has reduced the stutters but I am not back to where I was before the release of P-51/Tempest/P-38, which is roughly when most people started getting this really bad.

Additionally they optimized the clouds a bit in the last patch which actually helped me very slightly in MP and may have helped you a lot in VR, but not enough to completely eliminate stutters for me. On maps with more clouds I still have more frequent stutters.

SOMETHING in Multiplayer is adding to the load on many people's systems. The HUD seems to have a disproportionate impact too, and if you want to see the chat in MP you need to have it on, so turning off the HUD is really not much of an option there. Many people seem to be able to eliminate it or reduce it by lowering their settings and making adjustments, but some people cannot. I know some people were encountering stutters before the big patch, and that's why we got "Jason's guide to graphics smoothness" forum post, which worked for most or at least reduced the problem. But lots of the tips in that post no longer work...for example, that post advises to turn Fullscreen OFF and 4k Textures ON. For me, the game is smoother with those reversed now.

Most of the advice to turn down settings works for some I think because it gives people's systems 'headroom' of unused system resources to deal with the performance spikes we are seeing online, and that are documented in the Stutters in Multiplayer Research thread. It also may be why the Rheinland map is the worst culprit for this online, it has higher requirements and chews up the headroom that people had.

People who had good computers that weren't running close to full performance had room to absorb the spikes in load with no issue, and it appears that some setups, at least, deal with them better than others.

Generally, at least on the English forum, we don't see any announcements on bug fixes or optimization unless its in a dev diary, which means its well under way and they're pretty sure its going to work. Unfortunately this means that we have no idea if the problem has been found, if they are working on it, or when a solution might come, until its almost here. There was no mention of a fix coming in the latest dev diary but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

You may have not had single-player issues, but I had them at the level that the game was effectively ruined after the "big patch".  Do you play in VR?  If you don't then maybe that is why.  A fair amount of VR users, even with high-end rigs with 2080+ cards, were stuttering constantly.  

Now I am not stuttering at all, which feels like a miracle after a month of endless system tweaking trying to recover from the "big patch" (3.20 or 3.21 I think it was).  

Sure, I can test multiplayer if you want, but I never had problems there.  It never was any better or worse than single-player performance at whatever time I was playing.  It may be because I played on low-pop servers.  I will see if I can make time for that today.  The girlfriend and I are thinking about driving to Florida today though, so no promises. 

Il-2 is very compelling but I am not sure it trumps Florida beaches!  Cleveland snow came early this year...

Edited by cmorris975

38 minutes ago, cmorris975 said:

You may have not had single-player issues, but I had them at the level that the game was effectively ruined after the "big patch".  Do you play in VR?  If you don't then maybe that is why.  A fair amount of VR users, even with high-end rigs with 2080+ cards, were stuttering constantly.  

Now I am not stuttering at all, which feels like a miracle after a month of endless system tweaking trying to recover from the "big patch" (3.20 or 3.21 I think it was).  

Sure, I can test multiplayer if you want, but I never had problems there.  It never was any better or worse than single-player performance at whatever time I was playing.  It may be because I played on low-pop servers.  I will see if I can make time for that today.  The girlfriend and I are thinking about driving to Florida today though, so no promises. 

Il-2 is very compelling but I am not sure it trumps Florida beaches!  Cleveland snow came early this year...

That’s what I’m saying, MP stutters and SP stutters are not the same, having one does not give you the other. People with perfectly smooth SP gameplay are often running into serious stuttering online. It is markedly different between the two modes. 

Safe travels to Florida!

• Upvote 1

In multiplayer TurnING Off gsync options in nvidia control panel eliminate most of stutters in my case.

in game i have full screen on, 4K textures on , vsync on 

Edited by VITO_

5 hours ago, VITO_ said:

In multiplayer TurnING Off gsync options in nvidia control panel eliminate most of stutters in my case.

in game i have full screen on, 4K textures on , vsync on 

I would think that having Gsync on, you would not need to have in-game vsync. If you have both on at the same time, the game is using software syncing, and Nvidia is using the monitor/card hardware to do it too, so it would maybe interfere with each other or use a lot of resources.

Its worth noting I think that when I first got microstutters after the new patch, turning off vsync completely eliminated them, at the cost of truly terrible screen tearing that really did make the game unplayable. So its clear that vsync does consume a lot of resources.

22 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Its worth noting I think that when I first got microstutters after the new patch, turning off vsync completely eliminated them, at the cost of truly terrible screen tearing that really did make the game unplayable. So its clear that vsync does consume a lot of resources.

Try to un-check  the in-game "Full Screen" option with Vsync desactivated in both game and Nvidia CP.

Just now, F/JG300_Egon said:

Try to un-check  the in-game "Full Screen" option with Vsync desactivated in both game and Nvidia CP.

That test was with full screen unchecked, I have since changed to full screen checked. I find having full screen checked has slightly improved performance for me over pre patch. 

32 minutes ago, F/JG300_Egon said:

For the screen tearing problem