4 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Something is obviously wrong on your end, I fixed my stutters, and many others are playing online right now just fine. So the games not broken. That's a fact. I would try making sure my drivers are up to date, nvidia control panel settings aren't set to something not from default, reinstall the game. If you can't attempt basic trouble shooting than that's your problem. I was also getting a high framerate and unplayable stutters even though the high FPS, I had to lock the framerate to 60 fps, I also updated my drivers and deleted the startup.cfg, I now am running at a locked 75 fps with my refresh rate at 75hz. Game is completely smooth with maxed out settings. The game works. You just need to figure out why it's not for you. Whining and making threats is not going to help you get anywhere.

Whilst I very much disagree with his way of approaching the subject, stating the problem is on everyone else's machine and brushing it aside is also not really helping getting a real fix.

Enabling Vsync is masking the problem for you, and while that's great and you can play ok, there are a number still affected, including a lot of people in VR where these workarounds aren't working or can't be used.

I suspect that vsync is hiding the problem for you and others that have used it as a workaround, as the rate limit is smoothing out the big variance in frame times when the stuttering issue is occurring. There are many frames that are taking significantly longer to be ready for the display than the average, resulting in the stutters people are reporting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Whilst I very much disagree with his way of approaching the subject, stating the problem is on everyone else's machine and brushing it aside is also not really helping getting a real fix.

Enabling Vsync is masking the problem for you, and while that's great and you can play ok, there are a number still affected, including a lot of people in VR where these workarounds aren't working or can't be used.

I suspect that vsync is hiding the problem for you and others that have used it as a workaround, as the rate limit is smoothing out the big variance in frame times when the stuttering issue is occurring. There are many frames that are taking significantly longer to be ready for the display than the average, resulting in the stutters people are reporting.

You said the correct, I also think there is something wrong, but I believe it will be resolved, because this degrading, instead of getting more optimized, somehow got bad.

I read somewhere that with Vsync ON, if your framerate dips even slightly below 60fps (for example: 59fps) the ACTUAL framerate will get halved to 30fps due to monitor/video-card synchronization limitations.

That's assuming a standard Non GSync/Freesync 60Hz monitor.

Is this true ?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Something is obviously wrong on your end, I fixed my stutters, and many others are playing online right now just fine. So the games not broken. That's a fact. I would try making sure my drivers are up to date, nvidia control panel settings aren't set to something not from default, reinstall the game. If you can't attempt basic trouble shooting than that's your problem. I was also getting a high framerate and unplayable stutters even though the high FPS, I had to lock the framerate to 60 fps, I also updated my drivers and deleted the startup.cfg, I now am running at a locked 75 fps with my refresh rate at 75hz. Game is completely smooth with maxed out settings. The game works. You just need to figure out why it's not for you. Whining and making threats is not going to help you get anywhere.

Can you play in VR without stutters?  I have tried everything on your list, and a lot more, and still have a lot of stutters in VR.  Even when my frames are near 90 and otherwise smooth.  I did not have stutters before the last patch.  I am new to this stuff, but is it possible to lock the frame rate in VR?  I was thinking it wasn’t.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I read somewhere that with Vsync ON, if your framerate dips even slightly below 60fps (for example: 59fps) the ACTUAL framerate will get halved to 30fps due to monitor/video-card synchronization limitations.

That's assuming a standard Non GSync/Freesync 60Hz monitor.

Is this true ?

Could be. I have standard 60Hz monitor and FPS are at 60 and 59 sometimes with vsync on. BUT, if I use vsync from the game and Fullscreen OFF its smooth. Ofcourse I reduced horizon distance and get rid of stutters. OTher settings are: SSAO OFF, 4k textures (now off buit I think you can leave it ON), medium shadows, HIGH settings, 3x landscape, FPS limit OFF....You must use native resolution of your monitor if you use Full screen off.

In nvidia control panel I have power management mode set to "prefer maximum performance" and Vsync to "use the 3D application setting".

My rig is: i5 7600 (4Ghz), GTX 1660 6GB VRAM (thats like  gtx1070), SSD, 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz RAM and Dell IPS 60Hz 1920X1200 monitor. Im using EDTracker Pro as head tracker.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Thanks 1

I tried to play on the lower settings. Unfortunately, what combination of settings would I not set I still have jam, i.e. stutters. I wrote to the IL2 saport, but they don't see the problem and pretend not to know what's going on. I sent them a link from the forum to read that there is such a problem in this game. I don't need to play this game, but since I have paid 150 EURO, I have the right to demand some quality. So the minimum that I would like to have this game should be smooth, considering the fact that I play i5 9800k and RTX2070S. The game DCS I mean at 100fps even smoothly like a gran inline. I see that you are staring at the IL2 studio and no matter how bad the game is. I am just saying that the game at this stage is broken and for me it is unplayable by stutters.

• Like 1

I updated my AMD drivers yesterday. I was on 19.5.1 and updated to 19.10.1. I've been trying to fix the blurriness and ghosting in VR, but now I've introduced the stutters.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

I agree.  While I found a work around that works on my system, it is a work around.  I have no idea why fast vsync works for me, but I ain't touching nothing until it breaks again.  I can't stand when the players get blamed for a bad patch.  

I have noticed a few micro stutters also since installing the latest update. Usually occurs on the new map as well.

My online stutter appears to be back to pre-patch - always got a few stutters on MP in high load times or when tons of AI spawned in. I tested last night for two hours on Combat Box. The server was nearly full the entire time and I only had a couple of stutters when AI bomber streams spawned on one of the maps. I flew on the new Rheinland map and Stalingrad map.

The latest windows update, which coincided for me around the same time of the patch, reset many things on my system. My microphone, for instance, was turned way down and my headphones were not working properly, I had to fully reconfigure them. I also noted that while my graphics card power setting had been set to max performance, my computer's power consumption had been set back to Balanced without any input from me. I am going to start checking this after every update.

My rig:
Windows 10
Intel i5 7500k 3.4 ghz
Geforce GTX 1060 3GB running latest drivers (436 I think?).
8 GB Ram
1920x1080 monitor

So, what I have done:
1. Set computer power regime back to max performance.
2. In NVIDIA control panel, set power to max performance, and set Low Latency mode to Ultra. I thought about making other changes here but did not, I wanted to isolate effects if possible. Vsync was set to Application Controlled.
3. In game, my preset is High. Clouds are set to Medium, Shadows to Medium, mirrors to Complex, , grass to normal, landscape detail to normal. I have fullscreen ON, use 4k Textures ON, Vsync ON and FPS limiter set to 60 fps.

The in-game stuff was  set this way (except for horizon distance, where I waffle between 70 and 100km to try and get best performance)  before when I was still getting more stutters so I believe the big change is the power setting and possibly the Low Latency mode . If you have Windows 10, make sure it hasn't reset your power consumption recently!

I agree that something happened on the game side of things, its not just 'wrong settings'. Its also not just graphics I think, there is something with MP.  But it also seems to depend on hardware. I've been on comms with people and half the people there talk about stuttering and half do not, some have great rigs, others mid range like me, some on VR, etc. 

My best undeducated guess is the new visibility settings are putting a higher load on servers and clients ...when they combine, you get stuttering on rigs that don't get it in single player because the limiting factor is the server, not the client.

Possibly the new patch is just harder on some specific kinds of hardware and combinations. Or possibly other updates coincided with this update and together they have screwed up some people's systems. 

Edited by RedKestrel
  • Like 3

@RedKestrel, can't thank you enough for this. I spoke too soon tbh. Still getting stutters. It's definitely cpu related though as I'm getting them at all graphics regimes. It was butter smooth before the windows update... 

Edited by [_FLAPS_]Diggun
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

@RedKestrel, can't thank you enough for this. I spoke too soon tbh. Still getting stutters. It's definitely cpu related though as I'm getting them at all graphics regimes. It was butter smooth before the windows update... 

I do still get them, but now they’re an occasional annoyance. Sorry it didn’t work for you.

19 hours ago, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

It was for me too before the last hot-fixes (maybe Windows update has something to do with it).

Other simulators still run great on my system though, so there's that.  Very few stutters on them, as smooth as they always ran.  Not sure what is up with Il-2 now but I think I will throw in the towel and just check back later when some more patches have been released.  I'm jealous of those who can still run this well as I really love this game!

Have fun.

Guys, I did some extensive testing. I tried everything and only after I unticked the 4k textures option I fixed the microstutters. But those are the ones I had when looking around with edtracker pro. I noticed it wasnt smooth. Now is ok. I will do some more testing.

In general there is also a problem with netcode. If more than 65-70 players onlin, its getting laggy and slow....stutters when many pilots are in dogfight.

• Thanks 1

Just a heads up:  I fixed the majority of my performance issues and stuttering by reformatting my system/SSD drive and reinstalling Windows.  I reinstalled Il-2, Oculus and Steam as well on the SSD.  GPU and CPU on max power mode.  Graphics are set low but I am running VR on a mid-range system so that's to be expected.

I'm relieved.  Game is much smoother now, more like pre-patch performance.  Whew! 

Edit:  Just to be clear, I still do get some stutters that I did not before the hot-fixes.  It is just nowhere near as bad.  An 8 vs 8 furball with clear skies on Kuban quick mission causes a good amount of "VR double planes" still.  It is a lot more playable than it was though.

Edited by cmorris975
New info
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 2:05 PM, 9./JG54_GERMANWOLF said:

Thanks for posting the videos!  I can see some microstutters in the second one but it looks good enough to play and have fun with.  When you pitch down at 1:00 into the video, for example.  Looks very playable though!

What a great sim. though.  Just watching that makes me want to play some...  Better get some stuff done first!

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 8:05 PM, 9./JG54_GERMANWOLF said:

Try to play without HUD or set it to a button to switch it on/off if you need it mid-flight, that's what we VR-people do to get more fps. If I were you, I would also lower my AA to 2x and lower my horizon draw 40km that will help you to get closer to that 60 fps target. Turning your HUD off will maybe enable you to use BALANCED settings

• Like 1

For those with Nvidia cards: it seems that closing the "GeForce experience" app before I play helps as well.  Not sure why that would be, but before I play Il-2 in VR I always launch open composite, then close Steam and GeForce experience.  That and using MSI afterburner to OC my 1070 ti card a bit gets me to where I can play most campaign missions without any stuttering (or very little).  This is with low settings in game and a 6700k processor + 24 GB 2166 RAM.

Edited by cmorris975
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Detal said:

Try to play without HUD or set it to a button to switch it on/off if you need it mid-flight, that's what we VR-people do to get more fps. If I were you, I would also lower my AA to 2x and lower my horizon draw 40km that will help you to get closer to that 60 fps target. Turning your HUD off will maybe enable you to use BALANCED settings

Does lowering to 2XAA result in more difficulty spotting or a significantly worse looking game? 

4 hours ago, 9./JG54_GERMANWOLF said:

micro freezes continue, only better if I leave the graphics at low

You have four core / eight thread intel cpu and 60hz monitor?

Edited by TunaEatsLion

3 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Does lowering to 2XAA result in more difficulty spotting or a significantly worse looking game? 

In my opinion the game doesn't look much worse with 2XAA instead of 4XAA. I myself put it on 4xAA in my oculus rift without supersampling (takes a lot more performance than AA) to make the game look better. Setting your AA too high might mess up spotting planes in front of clouds. I set my settings on HIGH with high clouds to prevent losing planes in front of clouds. I also noticed that doing any other combination of LOW with low clouds; Medium with medium clouds; high with medium clouds; etc. ended up with ugly clouds and bad spotting.

• Thanks 1

I hope that stuttering is now eliminated as soon as possible, I have bought myself box for the multiplayer, and I would like to enjoy it in its full splendor and not down any attitudes just to make it a little better

some have the stutter, some do not stutter, no matter what PC they own.........somewhere has to put the error of  this causes

and that the stuttering game has been known for a long time, I had a one-year break from Box and nothing has improved as far as the stuttering is concerned, on the contrary, it has gotten worse

t is sad, I am looking forward to the announcement of a new battlefield, but will wait with a heavy heart until the multiplayer runs smoothly

back then at Bos was written .......... Multiplayer with up to 100 players, and what do we have? 84 players and the server explodes

and I'm still waiting for it today

Glad I'm not the only one having this problem. The stuttering is really bad in the BoBP career missions especially.

• Like 2

Glad I'm not the only one. I've almost considered asking for a refund, the stuttering made me finally just quit playing. I'm using the same settings I used to play through BoS, BoM, BoK with only slight stuttering problems, but nothing like I'm experiencing now in BoBP. The fps counter never dips below 70, and usually averages around 90. I have a 1080ti, i7-7700k,  32gb ram, I don't think my setup is the problem. I play most games on near max settings without much issue.

• Like 1

And stutters are back.....this time I set FPS limit to 60 (though I have Vsny ON in game otherwise i get tearing no matter fps cap) and that helped alot but still with over 60-65 players there are occasional micro stutters.....

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi