FlyingShark

Small question about P51 supercharger

Hi,

On the P51 you can put the supercharger from automatic mode to manual and back.

However, when in manual, it only stays in "Low" position, I don't seem to be able to put it in "high" position.

Is it maybe that way or am I doing something wrong?

Have a nice day.

:salute:

You can not switch to second position in manual mode in game. IMHO, it is wrongly modelled.

On 150 octane fuel it should be manual like the Spitfire.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

You can not switch to second position in manual mode in game. IMHO, it is wrongly modelled.

It is a current limitation, we should have the three options available (manual 1st gear, auto, manual 2nd gear) but currently the game supports either both manual gears, or first gear manual and auto. In the future they might be able to implement the possibility of having these 3 modes selectable.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard

6 hours ago, Talon_ said:

On 150 octane fuel it should be manual like the Spitfire.

That's not how it works now, however. It still switches automatically with 150 octane fuel.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I hope they give us control over it in the future. 

As it's now, I find it a bit useless to switch to manual mode and then not being able to switch to the gear you want.

Have a nice day.

Posted (edited)

It is correct as it is.

The LOW position on the switch on the instrument panel makes it possible to operate the supercharger in low blower mode at high altitudes. This provides better range at high altitudes, which can be used for long-range flights.

The HIGH position on the switch makes it possible to test the high blower mode on the ground. The switch must be held in the HIGH position by hand, however, because it is springloaded and returns to the LOW position when released.

Edited by Jansgi
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jansgi said:

It is correct as it is.

Not when on 150 grade fuel though

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Not when on 150 grade fuel though

Source? Because I know for a fact that even with 150 octane it is not manual. I remember reading that they just reset the aneroid controlling the gear shifting point.

Edited by Jansgi

13 minutes ago, Jansgi said:

Source? Because I know for a fact that even with 150 octane it is not manual. I remember reading that they just reset the aneroid controlling the gear shifting point.

Can you link the source? The Mustang autoshifts at the best point for 100 octane fuel even when running on 150 in-game.

3 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Can you link the source? The Mustang autoshifts at the best point for 100 octane fuel even when running on 150 in-game.

I can't find the book so when I said I know for a fact can be an overstatement until I can provide the source. For now I only have 150 grade fuel tests which in no means is proof.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/150grade/150-grade-fuel.html

The aneroid controlling supercharger shifting point was reset at the begining of the test to shift from low to high blower at sixty-two inches Hg. in a war emergency climb.

Posted (edited)

I'm only speaking from what I think might be true so, take it for what it's worth but:

I think the way it works in reality is, you can set it to "first" or "automatic".  You can engage the second stage but you have to hold it there if you want to engage the second stage manually.

edit - and it looks like someone already posted this answer in a post above.....

Edited by BM357_TinMan

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FlyingShark said:

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I hope they give us control over it in the future. 

As it's now, I find it a bit useless to switch to manual mode and then not being able to switch to the gear you want.

Have a nice day.

Not entirely true, you can use it while flying high with low manifold pressure setting. Automatic give you optimal switch only on full power setting, but lower MAP gives you higher optimal switch altitude. Same as on 18 lb/sqinch spitfire IX.

Edited by CSW_Hot_Dog

16 hours ago, Talon_ said:

None of the P-51 manuals I've seen say it was manually controlled with 150 octane, including one that is dated around August 1945. 

• Thanks 1