Jump to content
Fang333333

Can we revert back to old sound?

Recommended Posts

Hello friendly friends!

 

Quick question, can we revert back to old sounds? I am sure not, but I have to ask.

 

I understand the work in progress and love the update..Unfortunately the 109 sounds for me personally are horrid.

 

I cannot tell for the life of me where my throttle is at. On my headsets, the old clear cut sound is now a bass infested warble. There is less engine pitch changes than some 20 year old flight sims. I actually cannot hear getting hit anymore. It's so bad I feel its gotta just be me. If I had to turn off my HUDs throttle I would be lost in combat.

 

In VR the new sound is actually taking me OUT of reality... I am actually lowering the volume because it's just confusing. I have never heard anything like this in a cockpit real or sim.

 

Ironically my ears are also musically trained. Engine pitches, hums, and groans should stick out naturally. Yes, at one point my livelihood depended on identifying and reproducing music and sounds academically. Yes it sucked.

 

None the less, had I been blindly played the sound of my 109 taking off I would have probably answered something like; 

 

"Sinking Diesel sub. Grab your lifejacket!"

 

 

 

 

20191002_170837.jpg

Edited by Fang333333
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar experience here. The sound is flat and the levels are off. I notice it in the engines and weapons more than anything. This latest update was incredible, and Il-2 is always moving forward, but the sound has taken a step back. The devs are very attentive and I'd bet they will fix it. This probably isn't forever.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest update introduced a new sound engine -  FMOD - and it may take a little time for the devs to fine-tune it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LLv24_Zami said:

 

No

Obviously this isn't only about the 109 engine being historically accurate. The sounds are definitely flat. As West said, the issue will most likely be fixed over time, but the overall sound quality at this point is not good. It's like the equivalent of when the rift s came out with above ear speakers compared to their old over-ear system. FMOD engine probably has more potential, and it will be exciting, but it's not there yet.

Edited by TheWarsimmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have crackling sounds (like in an old radio) with the new sound system when flying Tempest. Anybody else with this problem ?

Edited by WheelwrightPL
fix typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I have crackling sounds (like in an old radio) with the new sound system when flying Tempest. Anybody else with this problem ?

 

Did notice something similar to this on a single player sortie in the Tempest yesterday (with three other Tempests and eight Mitchels taxiing about). Sounded similar to dodgy connections on worn headphones? But before the sound update things were cutting out, so its an improvement of sorts.

Edited by Oliver88
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheWarsimmer said:

Obviously this isn't only about the 109 engine being historically accurate. The sounds are definitely flat. As West said, the issue will most likely be fixed over time, but the overall sound quality at this point is not good. It's like the equivalent of when the rift s came out with above ear speakers compared to their old over-ear system. FMOD engine probably has more potential, and it will be exciting, but it's not there yet.

Obviously, OP is talking about the 109 engine. So, answer is about it, it's more realistic than before.

 

I really don't get it, over all sounds are better than before in my headset. If you mean by flat that you can't hear everything outside your plane for example, that's realism. 

 

If sounds are crackling, then it's a bug and it's another story.

Edited by LLv24_Zami
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the patch I did a reinstall and I was experiencing crackle too but then I increased my sound count in my config file   To 128... and it’s been fine :)   

 

Also, my in game sound was down at 15% and headset at 100%before update... but I had to turn it up to 30% in game with the new FMOD sounds... 

it would be nice to have a video comparison between the versions, I can’t tell the difference..   

 

i do do wish they added a ‘hear like in helmet/headset’.  I imagine the planes sounds were somewhat muffled from the sounds of the plane?

 

Edited by spartan85
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

The latest update introduced a new sound engine -  FMOD - and it may take a little time for the devs to fine-tune it. 

 

Just for the record, it's always been FMOD, we just got updated revision of it.

 

Apart from known "windnoise-through-canopy" issue, I'm not quite happy about clearly asymmetric high-speed powerplant noises in P-38 (not by much, but definitely audible on my headphones). Haven't fiddled with other planes all that much, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

Obviously, OP is talking about the 109 engine. So, answer is about it, it's more realistic than before.

 

I really don't get it, over all sounds are better than before in my headset. If you mean by flat that you can't hear everything outside your plane for example, that's realism. 

 

If sounds are crackling, then it's a bug and it's another story.

My issue primarily resides with the bass of the guns and the engine. You can no longer "feel" them in the way you used to. This is what I mean by flat. The frequency is not there. For instance, I play with transducers, and it barely picks anything up anymore because there is no bass. When I shoot I like to feel it in the plane more than I hear it. When the engines run, I like to feel it in the seat. You don't feel as connected to the plane anymore.

Edited by TheWarsimmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TheWarsimmer said:

My issue primarily resides with the bass of the guns and the engine. You can no longer "feel" them in the way you used to. This is what I mean by flat. The frequency is not there. For instance, I play with transducers, and it barely picks anything up anymore because there is no bass. When I shoot I like to feel it in the plane more than I hear it. When the engines run, I like to feel it in the seat. You don't feel as connected to the plane anymore.

Okay, I don`t use transducers, so I can`t really say anything about it.

 

But in my headphones sounds are spot on, no problem with bass or anything. It`s great. Only thing I had to do was to rise the volume a bit. 

 

That`s the problem with the sounds, I don`t think it`s possible to get them to please 100% everybody. Or it`s very hard at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have said it many times before but if you are playing the game in 2.0 with a headset it will always sound flat. A good 7.1 surround headset COMPLETELY changes the game. Engines sound incredibly realistic and the new 109 sounds are 10x better than before. They might just sound worse on a 2.0 setup because the old sounds were far more basic without as many layers. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LLv24_Zami said:

Okay, I don`t use transducers, so I can`t really say anything about it.

 

But in my headphones sounds are spot on, no problem with bass or anything. It`s great. Only thing I had to do was to rise the volume a bit. 

 

That`s the problem with the sounds, I don`t think it`s possible to get them to please 100% everybody. Or it`s very hard at least.

Agreed. It isn't so much the sounds themselves, but the frequency response for me. It's like the EQ is all mids and highs, which is fine, but there should be a bit of bass response so there is some life breathed into it. It's not quite tinny, but not quite full imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

I have said it many times before but if you are playing the game in 2.0 with a headset it will always sound flat. A good 7.1 surround headset COMPLETELY changes the game. Engines sound incredibly realistic and the new 109 sounds are 10x better than before. They might just sound worse on a 2.0 setup because the old sounds were far more basic without as many layers. 

 

Number of speakers does not change how sounds are mixed and layered. The only exception being the subwoofer.
If you have 7.1 surround you can (hopefully) tune your subwoofer to boost the currently lacking bass. This should not be necessary. 


For those unable or unwilling to modify their EQ (or sub) the devs should mix their sounds properly. And, here's hoping, I expect to see this fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, peregrine7 said:

 

Number of speakers does not change how sounds are mixed and layered. The only exception being the subwoofer.
If you have 7.1 surround you can (hopefully) tune your subwoofer to boost the currently lacking bass. This should not be necessary. 


For those unable or unwilling to modify their EQ (or sub) the devs should mix their sounds properly. And, here's hoping, I expect to see this fixed.

 

he was talking about a headphone 7.1 sound, which isn't 7.1 at all, but a virtual stereo spreader across the same 2 headphone speakers - left and right. Such setup gives you a feeling of a "wider" and more plush sound. In the previous game version the sound stereo positioning was enhanced with 7.1 virtual headphones (i.e. panning the head left/right could clearly indicate the 'front' or 'rear' of the aircraft), however in the new 3.201 that effect is very weak, @-LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor

 

For me, ironically enough, the new D605 engine sound and its stereo positioning is the best sounding cockpit out of all other aircraft.  And my favorite vvs plane Mig3 turned in to some mono bee, regardless if I'm using 7.1 virtual enhancer or not.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, moosya said:

 

he was talking about a headphone 7.1 sound, which isn't 7.1 at all, but a virtual stereo spreader across the same 2 headphone speakers - left and right. Such setup gives you a feeling of a "wider" and more plush sound. In the previous game version the sound stereo positioning was enhanced with 7.1 virtual headphones (i.e. panning the head left/right could clearly indicate the 'front' or 'rear' of the aircraft), however in the new 3.201 that effect is very weak, @-LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor

 

For me, ironically enough, the new D605 engine sound and its stereo positioning is the best sounding cockpit out of all other aircraft.  And my favorite vvs plane Mig3 turned in to some mono bee, regardless if I'm using 7.1 virtual enhancer or not.

 

 

 
Oh, I guess I thought we were talking about the EQ / Layering. Spatial sound seems to still have some bugs but the 109 is not impacted, I agree there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the OP's post about the engine sounds.   Very hard to tell  from the sounds where your throttle is at.

 

Plus, at least with the 109E-7, taking the throttle to zero in flight stops all engine noise.  Outside aircraft can be heard and other cockpit sounds, but no engine at all which seems very odd.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of this is just teething pains with the new sound engine is my guess. Hopefully the Devs will make improvements over the coming releases. The status quo is not so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really hoping for some tweaks to improve the engines too. I can understand making the sounds more realistic and I don't object to that, but my 109 now sounds awful. It's not so much the sound itself, but there now seems to be this incredibly horrible and very irritating high-speed "clicking" noise. It might even be a bug because if I turn my head 90 degrees left/right, the noise fades and I can hear the engine note clearly. Very odd issue, but hopefully just a little bug which will be squashed soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason already said that the sounds are going to be improved as they aren't at 100%. They have just migrated to the new engine to fix the sound bug and other issue, now they have work to do on it. He also advised to set your sound card to Stereo rather than Surround or 5.1, so maybe try that if you are finding the sound weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 3:42 PM, moosya said:

For me, ironically enough, the new D605 engine sound and its stereo positioning is the best sounding cockpit out of all other aircraft.  And my favorite vvs plane Mig3 turned in to some mono bee, regardless if I'm using 7.1 virtual enhancer or not.

 

 

 

Indeed. For first time, it actually sounds like real engine, wich was not case with old sounds. As i said in other topic, some tuning would be great with supercharger effects (wich are probably overdone atm) etc, but it's already closest to real one in any sim so far.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This actually sounds like the 109s DB engine. Before it was a high pitched squealing noise that made it obvious when you were pushing the throttle up and down but didn't sound anything like the real thing. To me the DB sounds better then any other engine... even the merlin. Thats just me thou, either way the sounds are realistic and if you listen to a real 109 it will sound almost exactly the same.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10/3/2019 at 9:03 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

 

Make sure you have your sound card set on Stereo and not 5.1 or surround sound. I’ve done that a few times and screwed up my sound. Our sounds are stereo not 5.1.

 

There are going to be sound issues because we had to completely switch our sound engine. Gonna take a while to tweak it back into 100% normal. 

 

Jason

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 11:42 PM, LLv24_Zami said:

Obviously, OP is talking about the 109 engine. So, answer is about it, it's more realistic than before.

Hello again! Actually no the problems are icky for others as well. In the p38 I CANNOT hear the radio! The voices are way low. It's really bad in video recordings/streamings as well. Various devices. 

 

I LOVE that they are trying to up the sound game in the game sound, it's just muddier than a rained in Adobe right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some ability to balance sound volumes for things like AI radio and other similar sounds would be nice.   Some other things might need some in-house balancing compared to how it sounded in the old engine.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, YIPPEE said:

Is is for real? The new sounds are obviously better.

Much better,  no doubt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I notice for some odd reason while flying in VR now when I turn my head inside the cockpit in either direction it’s as if I can then hear the wind rushing past the outside of the cockpit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, YIPPEE said:

Is is for real? The new sounds are obviously better.

I think so too, it goes all the way up to 11. I do get some weird distortion on the p47 on WEP though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...