Eli_201

Engine smoke

The Engine Maps of our Aircraft all look something similar to this, just not done by Electronics but through Governors and Vacuum Switches. Auto Rich/Lean only select a Pre-Load on the System, the "n" of the Function so to speak.

image.png.50efce1e21eb8834622ffd9e21b21809.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

One thing I have noticed is that the P-51 seems to trail smoke no matter what the settings. I have my mixture set to run and power is around max cont. but I constantly see smoke trails for the P-51. 

I'm not saying it's inaccurate but it does seem like we see smoke trails way too often even under lower settings. I'd expect to see trails at higher powers, I've read combat reports that state as much but lower settings seem to produce too much smoke as well.

Maybe it's just that I'm seeing my own smoke trails more than others? I've noticed sometimes where my friends can't see it but I can and vise versa.

Max continuous seems like a low setting to us sometimes, because we get indoctrinated into the engine limits by the way they're implemented in game, but in reality it's a relatively high amount of power. A Mustang wouldn't have made it to Berlin and back on max continuous, so, although it's a sensible cruise setting in game, it's really actually giving the engine a good thrashing, relatively speaking.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Max continuous seems like a low setting to us sometimes, because we get indoctrinated into the engine limits by the way they're implemented in game, but in reality it's a relatively high amount of power. A Mustang wouldn't have made it to Berlin and back on max continuous, so, although it's a sensible cruise setting in game, it's really actually giving the engine a good thrashing, relatively speaking.

Very good points. I would expect with strict training on pilots one would see pilots using proper cruising throttle to prevent excessive engine wear, reduce fuel consumption, and to not incur the wrath of their mechanics.