Count_de_Money

how do you like the new sound engine?

just wanted to get your feedback on the new sound engine. I think it's great for what it is right now, especially for getting rid of the famous 'sound bug'.

Here's my observations:

• Stereo engine sound positioning in some aircraft seem not to work. Example:
    • in P39 I can definite hear the engine in my left or right ear if I pan my head to the left or right
    • in Mig3 I keep hearing the engine in both ears regardless of the position of my head (just a mono sound)
  • I start hearing some "wooshing" sound when I get close to the cockpit window on left or right side. I think it's the 'wind' noise, maybe? .. but it's so pronounced and overpowers the sound of the engine, which makes it sound a bit out of place
  • the enemy shots/bullets piercing thru your plane's frame are very quiet. Not sure if that's the new realistic sound or they were overpowered in the previous sound engine?

what did you notice?

Edited by moosya
  • Upvote 3

The Mk ix is one of the aircraft with that problem.

The old sound bug seems to have reappeared with a vengeance. I've had multiple encounters with other aircraft now that have produced no sound, tracers rattling by and jet engines on silent. :(

I wish it was possible to individually set the levels for i.e. engine sounds / Radio messages / Cannons - guns. I had the impressions that especially the radio chat, especially the new American , has become way harder to understand ...

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, moosya said:

I start hearing some "wooshing" sound when I get close to the cockpit window on left or right side. I think it's the 'wind' noise, maybe? .. but it's so pronounced and overpowers the sound of the engine, which makes it sound a bit out of place

I think it always was like this. 

22 minutes ago, Leifr said:

The old sound bug seems to have reappeared with a vengeance. I've had multiple encounters with other aircraft now that have produced no sound, tracers rattling by and jet engines on silent. :(

I have yet to experience this. Anyone else can confirm? It would suck if the sound bug hasn't yet been licked.

Are you just not hearing certain sounds? Tracers going by silently is perfectly normal, after all.. 

Just now, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

I have yet to experience this. Anyone else can confirm? It would suck if the sound bug hasn't yet been licked.

Are you just not hearing certain sounds? Tracers going by silently is perfectly normal, after all.. 

Spent a couple of hours flying around a busy server this afternoon. Three times we encountered 262s, we did not hear any sound coming from them - jets, cannons and impact sounds. When they're close enough to see the pilot, you'd expect to hear something.

The new 601 engine sound combined with having to fly timidly due to G makes me feel like I’m in slow motion. 😁

Yes, the whooshing is odd, and I wish they’d fix the mixing a bit. Turning to the side wouldn’t make me totally stop hearing the engine in one ear.

45 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

I think it always was like this. 

Nope, only when your cannopy was damaged. Now its everytime

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, moosya said:

I start hearing some "wooshing" sound when I get close to the cockpit window on left or right side. I think it's the 'wind' noise, maybe? .. but it's so pronounced and overpowers the sound of the engine, which makes it sound a bit out of place

Yes im hearing it too.

31 minutes ago, Leifr said:

Spent a couple of hours flying around a busy server this afternoon. Three times we encountered 262s, we did not hear any sound coming from them - jets, cannons and impact sounds. When they're close enough to see the pilot, you'd expect to hear something.

In real life you dont hear other planes even flying in tight formation, this is more realistic now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've noticed the sounds on the 262 cut out in the external view a lot depending on where the camera is.

9 minutes ago, Yardstick said:

Not a fan of the new in-cockpit DB601/605 sounds - very underwhelming.

It's based on one the of best recordings availabel (Black 6)

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 3

Wind noise near window confirmed. But no other  bugs, like missing sound effects.

3 minutes ago, L3Pl4K said:

Wind noise near window

I think this is because you're so close that your helmet (heh) is touching the perspex, so the roar of the wind is being transmitted directly into your delicate head...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

I think this is because you're so close that your helmet (heh) is touching the perspex, so the roar of the wind is being transmitted directly into your delicate head...

delicate head🤣  Maybe you are right, with you theory. But so far, i am happy with the upgraded sound engine.

23 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

In real life you dont hear other planes even flying in tight formation, this is more realistic now.

I can clearly hear mustang whistle in cockpit when she is around me and its really annoying.

The guns on the Flying Circus planes now sound a lot better in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

I like new sound DB 605....The problem with new DB 605 sound is that without check ata or revs you cannot understand the power at witch your engine is running

32 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

OK, and that would be fine if it were consistent in game. Right now, sometimes sounds can be heard in combat and sometimes they can’t. It seems especially problematic for the 262, which it seems has its own set of problems relating to internal sounds disappearing for the pilot.

15 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

I can clearly hear mustang whistle in cockpit when she is around me and its really annoying.

Yes , that we should not be able to hear either.

My first, very short, impressions are not favourable.

Engines just don't sound as rich (have only tried the p38, p51, tempest and 109G6 so far) and the guns seem to have lost their punch. I use an audio based seat shaker and the guns don't kick me in the butt anymore.

Still very, very early for me to pass judgment though. Havn't tried to adjust any settings yet.

Edited by pfrances

If you listen to Red 7, I personally think that the IRL cockpit sounds are very similar to what we have in game now.

Purely from a personal point of view, I would like all sounds other than the engines to be suppressed, as in the cockpit the engine is one of the few sounds we would actually hear. 

• Upvote 2

I think the new 109 engine sounds good. I do think the sounds in general need a going over when they get time. The engine should definitely be the loudest thing. Gun sounds should be very muffled thumping sounds for large weapons and faster muffled higher pitched thumping sounds for smaller weapons. Most of the time they would not be heard inside the cockpit at all because of the engine and helmet. 

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_5tuka said:

It's based on one the of best recordings availabel (Black 6)

Great post, thanks. I think that's pretty conclusive the devs sound team have got it right now.

4 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

Nope, only when your cannopy was damaged. Now its everytime

Im pretty sure it was always like that. Maybe before wasn't that obvious, but I noticed many times, at least on a 109, that's what I can remember.

• Upvote 1

The devs are great and Il-2 is one of the best supported titles I've ever seen. That being said, this sound update is no good imo. The woosh sound in the cockpit is annoying but I'm sure that bug will be ironed out. But as far as the engine and gun sounds, they're extremely underwhelming.

2 hours ago, Elem said:

Great post, thanks. I think that's pretty conclusive the devs sound team have got it right now.

Happy to be corrected.  I have a CD with the exterior Black 6 start-up recording that I pick up at Duxford c. 20 years ago, so am very familiar with the exterior 109 engine sound and think the in-game sound is excellent.  On reflection the devs have done a pretty good job reproducing the in-cockpit sound.  I will have to turn my volume up!

• Upvote 1

New sounds are great and finally i cant hear my MK108 rounds hitting enemy planes.

8 hours ago, Danziger said:

Gun sounds should be very muffled thumping sounds for large weapons and faster muffled higher pitched thumping sounds for smaller weapons.

This is something I always wanted to see (hear?), but I can imagine these sound changes might stir up a bit of an argument over what should be realistic and what should remain a tiny bit abstracted for want of feedback (i.e. rounds hitting the plane, engine power level, etc.) even though real life pilot accounts were pretty clear that some sounds were just difficult to hear. I think I read somewhere on here of an account regarding a real pilot who couldn't hear rounds landing on his plane, only realizing he was getting hit for some other reason.

If anything, at least for me, I'd have loved to hear gun sounds more as a violent, bass-like mechanical rattle over clear and highly audible muzzle report. I think I've read somewhere from an actual pilot that gunfire was less heard and more felt. 

But it seems like the direction sounds are going isn't something that some people are going to like, and would rather choose a balance of utility over total realism. Not to mention utility in MP.

I hope there could be a compromise that would still allow the devs to continue towards full audio realism such as sliders because I really want to see the Devs continue on the path of full audio realism. Flying these birds is one thing; hearing them the way you would had you been in one is another, and that's one factor that I feel really bumps the experience up.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Im pretty sure it was always like that. Maybe before wasn't that obvious, but I noticed many times, at least on a 109, that's what I can remember.

I definitely would get whooshing sounds when getting close to the canopy before this patch.

• Upvote 1

Not even remotely like this in the game unfortunately, barely a hum can be heard over the whooshing wind, never mind hearing another plane unless it's practically wingtip to wingtip.

I've been messing around with sounds for a couple of hours. I know an engine never sounds the same inside/outside the vehicle but if we want a game DR1 (or any other WW1 plane) to sound close to the real deal (per video in the post above) I'd suggest using the game's external engine sounds for in the cockpit too. Not a perfect solution but would be x1000 times better than the current electric lawn-mower imho. :)

17 hours ago, MarderIV said:

But it seems like the direction sounds are going isn't something that some people are going to like, and would rather choose a balance of utility over total realism. Not to mention utility in MP.

It's a dilemma with gun sounds. One party will always complain. Guns used to be quieter and lower tuned in the past leading people to complain. With update 2.003 the devs changed them to their current state (you can read the positive feedback in the linked threat) to make them more 'spectacular' as demanded.

Guys,

Make sure you have your sound card set on Stereo and not 5.1 or surround sound. I’ve done that a few times and screwed up my sound. Our sounds are stereo not 5.1.

There are going to be sound issues because we had to completely switch our sound engine. Gonna take a while to tweak it back into 100% normal. 

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 12
  • Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

Make sure you have your sound card set on Stereo and not 5.1 or surround sound. I’ve done that a few times and screwed up my sound. Our sounds are stereo not 5.1.

There are going to be sound issues because we had to completely switch our sound engine. Gonna take a while to tweak it back into 100% normal. 

Jason

Cheers Jase, that sorted that out. Got my four main speakers set to x2 Stereo and now have the proper engine noises in the cockpit. :)

Can't hear hits on my plane anymore unfortunately.  Just flying around in a dogfight and hmmm, why is my plane rolling?  Look over and I had an aileron shot off without even knowing it.

Before the bodenplatte release I could actually hear hits landing on me, not so much anymore.

Edited by =Elite=BlitzPuppet

8 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

Jason

Thanks for the heads up. I figured it would just be one of those things that would take some time to work out. You all should probably take a break or something for a while. This last update was great, and the new planes are a pleasure.

I am liking the new sounds very much.  Nice work dev's :)

Thank you very much, and for letting us know about the stereo settings.

Happy landings,

Talisman