P38 Rudder, Aileron and Pitch Trim??????????

fiddlinjim

I can't get any of the trim controls on the P-38 to work.

The appropriate surfaces have trim tabs, any suggestions or workarounds? 

4 minutes ago, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

re-bind them, as it says in the patch notes.

Thanks Diggun I just checked the patch notes and set the manual trim but did not set the electric trim.

Will give that a try

Edited by fiddlinjim

49 minutes ago, fiddlinjim said:

Thanks Diggun I just checked the patch notes and set the manual trim but did not set the electric trim.

Will give that a try

1951727142_Newtrimoptions.thumb.jpg.3602648fa492638d28b8f20241a90666.jpg

Make sure you got these...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, -=-THERION said:

Therion,

Thanks, that was just what I needed, rudder and elevator trim is working fine now.

Appears that the P-38 does not have aileron trim.

11 minutes ago, gn728 said:

Not specific the P-38, but can you assign buttons and an analog axis both?

Yes, you can still use buttons with analog axes. That hasn't changed since the last release.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, you can still use buttons with analog axes. That hasn't changed since the last release.

Hey - part of the issue for me was - I have a GVL IL2 throttle and unless I hit the toggles for trim just right the key map was only recognizing one switch not two. All good now, switches and analog.... 

• Like 1

Nearly went nuts last night with the trims. I had already read about having to check them so I thought it would be no problems, but I don't know how during the update my key-bindings for trim, which were all a combination of LeftCtrl+a key were changed to RightCtrl+same key, so I didn't notice it straiht away. Only when I noticed that the stabilizer in the 109, mapped the same as pitch trim, was working, I realized the subtle change and the corrected the key bindings.

I have all assigned as in the pic above and all aircraft work perfectly with trim again.  Except, that is, the P-38 aileron trim.  It does not seem to exist.  I've mapped it and remapped it several times and tried various controls to map it to, but no joy.  I even tried using the default keyboard commands, but nothing!

I guess I have the same question that "fiddlinjim" has above.  "Appears that the P-38 does not have aileron trim."  Although it's a statement, I am asking anyone here if it's a fact.  Does the P-38 have aileron trim?

8 hours ago, BSS_Stel said:

.  Except, that is, the P-38 aileron trim.  It does not seem to exist. 

FYI - P-38 series with aileron booster don't have aileron trim. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to learn how to trim the 38 properly. I saw posted above that there were patch notes for the latest patch, which explained trim settings. Can you point me in the right direction to find those notes?

Thanks,

Olds

Jaegermeister

Roll trim is accomplished by trimming the rudders. It doesn’t need aileron trim. With 2 rudders, trimming induces roll. Try it, you’ll see.

pitch trim is normal, but limited in the downforce. There are no tabs, it adjusts the neutral position of the control column

Edited by Jaegermeister
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

There are no tabs, it adjusts the neutral position of the control column

Nah, there was a tab, with its own set of cables running to the cockpit. I can't recall a P-38 version without it.

elevator control diagram 2.jpg

Edited by Art-J

• 4 months later...

Hi all.

First post here.

The P-38 Aileron boost control is off in the sim.

I don't know if it is modelled in the sim, and if so, if it is working (turned on all of the time), or if I need to turn it on in the settings.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Very pleased with the job they have done with this great fighter, modelling more minor aspects such as the voltmeter accuracy, feathering lights, hydraulic pressure gauge, and such.

These small details really add to the immersion.

Fantastic!

farley

ShamrockOneFive
2 hours ago, dmfP38-*_ said:

Hi all.

First post here.

I don't know if it is modelled in the sim, and if so, if it is working (turned on all of the time), or if I need to turn it on in the settings.

Very pleased with the job they have done with this great fighter, modelling more minor aspects such as the voltmeter accuracy, feathering lights, hydraulic pressure gauge, and such.

These small details really add to the immersion.

Fantastic!

farley

How do you know it's off?

4 hours ago, dmfP38-*_ said:

Hi all.

First post here.

2 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

How do you know it's off?

I think it's just the cockpit animation that is reversed right now.

Edited by LukeFF

Thanks for the replies.

Good question Shamrock. I don't know if it is on or off because I haven't been able to fly a P-38 with/without using aileron boost, so I can't  compare them.

LukeFF, yes could be. I think the trim tabs are reversed as well - the trim wheel seems correct, but when the trim tab goes up, the plane goes down and visa versa.

Things will get sorted out, and still finding it a lot of fun to fly.

Bodenplatte is my first in this series, and although no flying on line yet, definitely enjoying it so far!

I have a lot to learn about this sim.

Edited by dmfP38-*_

16 minutes ago, dmfP38-*_ said:

I think the trim tabs are reversed as well - the trim wheel seems correct, but when the trim tab goes up, the plane goes down and visa versa.

That is how it is supposed to work. The control surface will deflect the opposite way of the trim tab.

8 minutes ago, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:

That is how trim tabs work.
They move in other direction
trim-operation-animated.thumb.gif.ef5eb786f0c1d252531edb7d98a838bb.gif

Thanks bzc and TBAS, didn't know that! Lots to learn....

Edited by dmfP38-*_

• 11 months later...
Jammer603
On 10/2/2019 at 9:43 AM, THERION said:

Lifesaver! I just got a new joystick, Gladiator NXT Premium, and couldn’t figure out why my trim controls weren’t working even though all of the other key mappings were fine. Then I remembered when I first got IL 2 and the TM 16000M a few months ago that I had come across a fix for the same problem back then, so I searched and managed to find your post again. I’m now doubly obliged to you!