Alonzo

AAA buried slightly underground since new patch?

I'm working on a new map for multiplayer, and I'm not doing anything different than normal. For some reason, the AAA all seem to spawn a couple of feet underground, so they are not visible, usually not destructible, and do not have an icon even with "icons on". I've specifically gone back to the editor and checked the objects are properly placed on the ground, and they are.

I've had this behavior reported on a previous map, not a new one, so I'm wondering if this is some kind of server behavior issue. Anyone else seeing this?

• Upvote 1

I did a quick test and didn't have this issue. Tested on Lapino map and the new one. Inserted flak38 on the airfield and on the grass was spawned normally.

This underground business keeps bugging me. Created a mission fresh, and spent quite some time figuring out how to get the player plane NOT being beneath the surface when started. Wih JimTM's manual and advice about GUI map setup right and Set on Ground it all of a sudden worked, with the Vluki map.

Now i started a new one in Rheinland, things setup the right way, but the player plane stays underground. Only liftoff is on autopilot, and at the end of the runway it pops out of the ground. Mission runs fine after that. Annoying, can't find the solution ....

Edited by jollyjack

33 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

This underground business keeps bugging me. Created a mission fresh, and spent quite some time figuring out how to get the player plane NOT being beneath the surface when started. Wih JimTM's manual and advice about GUI map setup right and Set on Ground it all of a sudden worked, with the Vluki map.

Now i started a new one in Rheinland, things setup the right way, but the player plane stays underground. Only liftoff is on autopilot, and at the end of the runway it pops out of the ground. Mission runs fine after that. Annoying, can't find the solution ....

Please post your Rheinland mission.

Just now, JimTM said:

Please post your Rheinland mission.

can i PM it to you via mediafire link? i am just running the binary conversion, after looking at your parked taxi-ing take off manual's procedure,

now with a few linked planes to see if that helps.

1 minute ago, jollyjack said:

can i PM it to you via mediafire link? i am just running the binary conversion, after looking at your parked taxi-ing take off manual's procedure,

now with a few linked planes to see if that helps.

Sure.

Just saw Gambit's offer too, i'll post a download  link, and send you both the download for the 'underground version' . The newer one later if that doesn't work.

That binary conversion job is still running BTW, waiting it out and then try it again first. PS it's funny, press Pause, immediately F1 for cockpit view, (you won't see it though} and A for Autopilot, the Spit breaks through the runway, or some field surface after speed up. Thanks, U2.

4 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Just saw Gambit's offer too, i'll post a download  link, and send you both the download for the 'underground version' . The newer one later if that doesn't work.

That binary conversion job is still running BTW, waiting it out and then try it again first. PS it's funny, press Pause, immediately F1 for cockpit view, (you won't see it though} and A for Autopilot, the Spit breaks through the runway, or some field surface after speed up. Thanks, U2.

The solution to your underground plane issue is at the top of pg. 186 in the editor manual. Also see the top of pg. 185.

Re. the problem finding a mission in the list, which you mentioned in your PM, see the middle of pg. 183 in the editor manual.

Edited by JimTM
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JimTM said:

The solution to your underground plane issue is at the top of pg. 186 in the editor manual. Also see the top of pg. 185.

Re. the problem finding a mission in the list, which you mentioned in your PM, see the middle of pg. 183 in the editor manual.

thanks, 186 in my manual is empty, i'll re-download the Manual now. 187 talks about MCU arranging, guess it's in there ...

56 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

thanks, 186 in my manual is empty, i'll re-download the Manual now. 187 talks about MCU arranging, guess it's in there ...

You're looking at pg. 176-177. Your copy must be really screwed up.

183: Cannot Find a Mission in the IL-2 Sturmovik Singleplayer Missions List

185: A Player Cannot Enter a Plane in a Multiplayer Mission

186: Player Enters Plane and Is Kicked Out or Plane Is Destroyed or Goes Underground

48 minutes ago, JimTM said:

You're looking at pg. 176-177. Your copy must be really screwed up.

183: Cannot Find a Mission in the IL-2 Sturmovik Singleplayer Missions List

185: A Player Cannot Enter a Plane in a Multiplayer Mission

186: Player Enters Plane and Is Kicked Out or Plane Is Destroyed or Goes Underground

Just downloaded it again, was the same; maybe its my Sumatra PDF, very basic PDF reader. Low on resources and very fast, no irritating Adobe un-necessities .

Tried Foxit, but it' s also empty there, but i'll look in to your titles above, have to go off line now. see pics thnx, j

Manual JimTM.jpg

PS has a brief look at Aras, the map seems very basic done indeed. But railways, there must be trains planned, finally we can shoot the Bonderocket.

(That was the nickname of our old Ford Transit V4 band van in the 70-ies. Never broke down, with a 6 volts battery, and even as fast as 70 km going uphill in Germany as max. Done quite some tours with it through Europe and the UK, paid less than 300 dollars for it, and needed only a few small repairs, cars were cars then.)

Edited by jollyjack

11 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

Just downloaded it again, was the same; maybe its my Sumatra PDF, very basic PDF reader. Low on resources and very fast, no irritating Adobe un-necessities .

Tried Foxit, but it' s also empty there, but i'll look in to your titles above, have to go off line now. see pics thnx, j

Yes, it's your reader. I have the same issue in iBooks. The Adobe Reader accounts for the pages before chapt. 1 that are Roman numerals (10 pages in all). So the Adobe page number matches the number on the actual manual page. I always refer to the actual manual page number in my posts.

Edited by JimTM

3 hours ago, JimTM said:

Yes, it's your reader. I have the same issue in iBooks. The Adobe Reader accounts for the pages before chapt. 1 that are Roman numerals (10 pages in all). So the Adobe page number matches the number on the actual manual page. I always refer to the actual manual page number in my posts.

First i thought some thing like A4- versus Letter formatting, but the layouts per page are OK.

Add 10 to the PDF's page numbering does the job. Now i'll have to figure a way to correct that in the PDF file, as the internal linking is quite useful.

I'll see if i can find a PDF editor, that can offset the internal page numbering by ten.

My son in law is an ICT guy, giving courses and presentations, the man to see about this horse maybe.

LoL, no wonder i had some troubles finding solutions at times .... i'll get Adobe first, the most basic version i can find.

Could only find Adobe Reader Lite here only 32bit vesions:

https://adobe-reader-lite.en.softonic.com/support,

Portable: https://softfamous.com/postdownload-file/portable-adobe-reader-lite/7148/2533/

No luck there, BTW tried to find some page numbering offset in all brands ....:

Manual JimTM adobe.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
added info

4 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Thanks for the offers of help. For some reason the forum isn't notifying me of replies. Here is the map in question. Most of the objectives have a problem that the AA spawns underground.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iq31jjz00pjwbtv/battle-over-eindhoven-0.9.8.zip?dl=0

Hi Alonzo, mind if i have a look at your files too? I was messing around with Gilze-Rijen as departure location, still no fixes in my case ...

I'll report back to JimTM too .. J

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 hours ago, JimTM said:

Hi Jim.

1) My SP missions show case is fixed by removing those two cache files OK, thanks.

2) I set the "SeasonPeFix" values with Notepad to SeasonPeFix = "su"  in all underground game play mission files. As i understood from page 186 (196 in my PDF readers) . Alas, they still run around underground on gameplay mission start, as with both sent Mediafire-sent files. Pictures below:

I begin to think it boils down to an error in my downloaded FMB editor, as your Bodenplatte mission (P51 Aachen) runs well.

Nice one BTW, poor Aachen, didn't have time to really play it out yet, and my PC is not upto really resource full tasks to boot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try to reinstall the whole IL*2 game caboose with a fresh download.from the server ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SeasonPrefix 01.jpg

SeasonPrefix 02.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

6 hours ago, jollyjack said:

First i thought some thing like A4- versus Letter formatting, but the layouts per page are OK.

Add 10 to the PDF's page numbering does the job. Now i'll have to figure a way to correct that in the PDF file, as the internal linking is quite useful.

I'll see if i can find a PDF editor, that can offset the internal page numbering by ten.

My son in law is an ICT guy, giving courses and presentations, the man to see about this horse maybe.

LoL, no wonder i had some troubles finding solutions at times .... i'll get Adobe first, the most basic version i can find.

Could only find Adobe Reader Lite here only 32bit vesions:

https://adobe-reader-lite.en.softonic.com/support,

Portable: https://softfamous.com/postdownload-file/portable-adobe-reader-lite/7148/2533/

No luck there, BTW tried to find some page numbering offset in all brands ....:

My Acrobat Reader DC (free, official version) shows, for example, "186 (196 of 350)" at the top. I guess I'll have to make it clear in my posts from now on that I'm referring to the actual number on the manual page rather than to the number that a particular reader shows.

5 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Hi Jim.

1) My SP missions show case is fixed by removing those two cache files OK, thanks.

2) I set the "SeasonPeFix" values with Notepad to SeasonPeFix = "su"  in all underground game play mission files. As i understood from page 186 (196 in my PDF readers) . Alas, they still run around underground on gameplay mission start, as with both sent Mediafire-sent files. Pictures below:

I begin to think it boils down to an error in my downloaded FMB editor, as your Bodenplatte mission (P51 Aachen) runs well.

Nice one BTW, poor Aachen, didn't have time to really play it out yet, and my PC is not upto really resource full tasks to boot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try to reinstall the whole IL*2 game caboose with a fresh download.from the server ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re. 1, great!

Re. 2, I'm not sure what the problem is then. I doubt that there's an error in your editor that re-downloading will fix. 

The Bodenplatte mission is not mine. You must be referring to somebody else's mission.

Edited by JimTM

ADDED: reselecting Rheinland and terrain, reselecting it again, running some tests from various drop down FMB menus, setting timers,, grouping near by objects, using horizontal and vertical command and target line up, (both your manual's  advice), again set to ground, and then Magic! the plane appeared at included Park position ABOVE ground. Flyable too. Now to get some buddies to travel along, but that's halfway done. At least now on my own to nite with  a nice Belgian i'll cheer up a beer to you ...

PS the winter season was selected default with the erroneous mission file, since whatever i did above now it defaults correctly to summer;

could be that that was wrong in my FMB installation, and why not everybody was complaining ... :

1237987558_seasonselect.jpg.36ad6b745a7f4fd8a3350d6fc11b3c32.jpg

3 hours ago, JimTM said:

My Acrobat Reader DC (free, official version) shows, for example, "186 (196 of 350)" at the top. I guess I'll have to make it clear in my posts from now on that I'm referring to the actual number on the manual page rather than to the number that a particular reader shows.

Re. 1, great!

Re. 2, I'm not sure what the problem is then. I doubt that there's an error in your editor that re-downloading will fix. 

The Bodenplatte mission is not mine. You must be referring to somebody else's mission.

PS Yeah, my fault, it's Jade's mission ...

Edited by jollyjack
  • Upvote 1

For anyone looking at the AA on my map, I'm in the middle of a big change to how it spawns, so this might or might not fix the problem. I'll report back.

It’s a game bug. Only workaround I have is to replace all the AA on the map with spawn/delete style instead of activate/deactivate, which is, shall we say, a bit of a pisser. I’ve done it on 5 of my maps and I’m not doing any more, it’s a non-trivial job.

Sorry for being a bit salty but this is a bad bug and still not hotfixed. Makes me a bit sad as a mapmaker.

@jollyjack, re. your PDF page number issue earlier in this thread, I just realized that the posted editor manual has the title page shown as page 1 at the top of PDF readers. However, I am working with a copy of the manual where I adjusted the pages so that PDF readers show page 1 at Chapter 1 (all pages before are Roman numerals). Sorry for the confusion. I'll post an updated manual with the page numbers adjusted. :blush:

Edited by JimTM

41 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

It’s a game bug. Only workaround I have is to replace all the AA on the map with spawn/delete style instead of activate/deactivate, which is, shall we say, a bit of a pisser. I’ve done it on 5 of my maps and I’m not doing any more, it’s a non-trivial job.

Sorry for being a bit salty but this is a bad bug and still not hotfixed. Makes me a bit sad as a mapmaker.

I have discovered that if the AA is not made into a group, just placed on the map, that they do appear. This on the Rhineland map and confirmed by Cam. Here is the post about it: