How does prop and spinner look for you in VR?

Since the previous update, I've noticed that in VR, the prop and spinner are displayed as still. I mean they don't react much to the rpm change. This is especially noticeable when you stop the engine. You will see that the transition is spinning is not smooth. Now compare that with the non-VR mode. Is that just me or other people are also having this issue?

Personally, I'd rather have artifacts and prop spinning correctly. Also, I only noticed artifacts when I had Oculus Rift. When I got Odyssey long before that change, I haven't seen any artifacts. I think Vive users also didn't have them. 

Edited by Arthur-A
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Arthur-A said:

Personally, I'd rather have artifacts and prop spinning correctly. Also, I only noticed artifacts when I had Oculus Rift. When I got Odyssey long before that change, I haven't seen any artifacts. I think Vive users also didn't have them. 

Vive had no ASW back then. And Odyssey had the artifacts too, I was using it for almost a year. You probably haven't turnt motion reprojection on in the WMR settings file.

I think it would be best to have a switch in graphics. People who fly with ASW should be able to keep the current disk. Those who don't use ASW, can have the standard props back.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Upvote 2
38 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

I think it would be best to have a switch in graphics. People who fly with ASW should be able to keep the current disk. Those who don't use ASW, can have the standard props back.

Yeah, that would be great since current prop disc absolutely sucks in VR. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Arthur-A said:
2 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Yeah, that would be great since current prop disc absolutely sucks in VR. 

+1

A good idea.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree. it looks...odd...the way it is right now.

I do understand why they fixed it in the first place but the way they did it leaves me wondering if they actually test their game in VR...

They should have thought about a different solution OR implemented a switch so people without ASW could still see the "old" style.

what?  this is not a new change, it was brought in by update 3.101 way back in june, 5 months ago. This was to fix an issue VR players were complaining about, namely the view distortion and doubling up of planes when viewed through the prop:

personally, I have no problem with the fix, would rather have a boring prop rather than the previous issues.

• Upvote 1

I'd say having still prop discs in a sim like IL-2 Great Battles is embarrassing. Last game I saw props like that was Rowan's Battle of Britain which came out in 2000. Even original IL-2 which was released a year after didn't have this issue.

IMHO this is extremely half-assed solution. 

22 minutes ago, Arthur-A said:

I'd say having still prop discs in a sim like IL-2 Great Battles is embarrassing. Last game I saw props like that was Rowan's Battle of Britain which came out in 2000. Even original IL-2 which was released a year after didn't have this issue.

VR wasn't available then, so the ASW problem didn't exist.

As usual, a simple fix by giving people the option of which to use. As usual, option not available because consumers are increasingly being treated as fools who can't work things properly for themselves.

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Goffik said:

As usual, a simple fix by giving people the option of which to use

Exactly. This is important to give people an option especially when you're making things look uglier. I didn't have any distortions in my Odyssey, AFAIK it happened only for Oculus users.

The fixed, almost invisible prop disc is quite ridiculous. As some one observed is giving you a nice 'nineties' feel... ;)

One of the reasons for using vr is to seek the' feeling' of  flight and this prop disc is no help for that ... Give me back the old disc, I'm willing to accept the shortcomings or ,at least, give me a choice.

• Upvote 1

Haven't really tested it yet, so could be wrong, but my initial observations put the props acting differently for individual planes. For instance, the Yaks seem to have the solid semi-transparent disc, and some planes have no prop at all. Then you hop in something like a P-47 and it's like a real prop (the old style- artifacts and all unless ASW is disabled). I probably need to check this out some more to confirm.

Edited by TheWarsimmer
  • 3 weeks later...

Props look a little better with "prop_blur_max_rpm_for_vr" added to startup.cfg, but still not as good as they did several updates ago. Spinners are still frozen or in slow motion.

Appreciate the effort to do something about it, but wish they would have added a switch to turn the asw fix completely on or off.

Edited by Jocko

I noticed that after I added this to startup and ran the game, I went back and it has "prop_blur_max_rpm_for_vr 155”. I wonder what happens when you adjust this parameter??

I would test this however I am away from my rig. Maybe someone could adjust and test??

Just did some testing. Doubled the value to 310 and it looks a lot smoother. You can see the prop slowly start up, and distinguish between high and low RPMs. I haven't tested extensively, but the 310 value works well imo and is what I am using now.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.  

1 hour ago, TheWarsimmer said:

Just did some testing. Doubled the value to 310 and it looks a lot smoother. You can see the prop slowly start up, and distinguish between high and low RPMs. I haven't tested extensively, but the 310 value works well imo and is what I am using now.

Cool, thanks for testing that.  I always liked the look of the spinning prop and look forward to getting that back.

Why would you want to see the prop as a disk at high RPM from inside the cockpit?

In RL you don't either. The very old version was more artistic than real. But I guess that's the point, if people prefer it for whatever reason, an option to switch to the old animation may be nice to have. 

15 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Why would you want to see the prop as a disk at high RPM from inside the cockpit?

In RL you don't either. The very old version was more artistic than real. But I guess that's the point, if people prefer it for whatever reason, an option to switch to the old animation may be nice to have. 

My complaint was about mid to low RPM to full stop. I think in those modes you should be able to see the smooth speed changes of the prop.

20 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

It's not the inside I am worried about.  The external view of LW prop spinners looks horrible in VR, with their spiral appearing almost static.