Jump to content
JG4_Sputnik

Please help me get the P38 to taxi! (Twin engine problem, Bug)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi

No matter what I do, I can't get the P38 to taxi. And yes, parking breaks are released ;)

 

The thing is, the rpm won't rise above 1200, just stay there, no matter what I do. I watched tutorials on youtube and did the exactely same thing. Still the same. It is the only plane I have problems with.

 

I also have set manual rpm for testing, but even though I see the switch animation (the small ones) , rpm won't change, just stay on 1200rpm (and no techno chat message that rpms are manipulated!). 

Then I go to automatic rpm again, see all the levers (the big ones) move accordingly to my inputs but rpms stay at 1200. 😲

The only time rpms chage at all is when I take back throttle, eventually they go down, but no matter what I do somehow they won't go above 1200!

 

I have tested with various mixture settings. Various throttle settings.

When I start on runway there's no problem at all. Also all the other planes don't have this issue.

 

Has anyone an idea?

Help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Sputnik

Edited by JG4_Sputnik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had no problem. I literally touched nothing other than the "E" key...throttle forward, rolled, took off, no issues. Can you make a video of the issue?

 

P.s. Have you tried recalibrating your throttle and stick in windows?

To me, the P-38 is the most autonomous aircraft we have just received. I really didn't touch anything. Just open throttle to 6% and let the engines start and go. Sorry you're having problems mate.

Edited by =BAIT=CG_Justin
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JG4_Sputnik said:

Hi

No matter what I do, I can't get the P38 to taxi. And yes, parking breaks are released ;)

 

The thing is, the rpm won't rise above 1200, just stay there, no matter what I do. I watched tutorials on youtube and did the exactely same thing. Still the same. It is the only plane I have problems with.

 

I also have set manual rpm for testing, but even though I see the switch animation (the small ones) , rpm won't change, just stay on 1200rpm (and no techno chat message that rpms are manipulated!). 

Then I go to automatic rpm again, see all the levers (the big ones) move accordingly to my inputs but rpms stay at 1200. 😲

The only time rpms chage at all is when I take back throttle, eventually they go down, but no matter what I do somehow they won't go above 1200!

 

I have tested with various mixture settings. Various throttle settings.

When I start on runway there's no problem at all. Also all the other planes don't have this issue.

 

Has anyone an idea?

Help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Sputnik

Have you checked your options before you start the QMB? ensure the managed stuff is switched off.
then check you have an axis/lever/keys set to your rpm option.

it sounds like the rpm's are being managed by the auto options rather than manual
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

thanks guys. I will test it tonight.

However, I have this problem not only in QMB but also online, meaning that it can't be a realism setting option.

 

Of course I have an axis set to my rpm.

 

Maybe I have to re-calibrate, but it works with every other plane so I can't see that being the issue either.

 

I've been flying this sim from day one, so I know most of the tricks and quirks that could become an issue, but I never had a problem like this before, affecting only one plane.

 

For example, when I switch from my non-taxiable P38 to a P47, I can do all the stuff that I am supposed to, i.e. rpms, throttle etc. so I can't imagine what this could be affecting only the P38 since both planes have similar settings and why would it work on just one of them?

Even more strange, why does everything work when I start the P38 from the runway, motor running? Everything works just fine, only not when I start the P38 cold!!!

 

 

Question: can someone check if, when manual rpm enabled in the P38, the techno chat accounts for changing rpms up and down? When I do it, there's no message in the techno chat, even though the switch animation in the cockpit do work...

Edited by JG4_Sputnik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does your throttle go up to 100% (technochat)?

 

Did you feather props (maybe double binding)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 6./ZG26_5tuka said:

Does your throttle go up to 100% (technochat)?

 

Yes.

 

4 hours ago, 6./ZG26_5tuka said:

Did you feather props (maybe double binding)?

 

No.

 

Thanks anyways ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe make a track and share it.. it can be easier to diagnose things sometimes that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I'll try. But honestly, you will see me pressing "E" then the engines will start. Then you will see me release brakes and then throttle up and the plane won't move and the needles will stick at 1200rpm 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I know you have said you have done everything you should but I am going to ask this because obviously you have missed something ....

 

Your problem sounds very much like a pitch issue so can you confirm you put the pitch lever fully forward and set constant speed?  (check this visually as many people are reporting that they need to invert their pitch controls with this new update)

 

**UPDATE**   I have just tested it and if you have the pitch set to 0% it does indeed refuse to go above 1200rpm,

 

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your help! I love this comunity :)

 

HOWEVER, if your theory was right and I have a "pitch issue", how would you explain that this ONLY happens to the P38...? 🤔

Thanks for sticking with me though, I will test it soon...

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ok weird, I've tested more planes and also the He111 has this issue! The rpm lever does work but in technochat there's no message saying rpms are increased or decreased... no matter what axis I bind to rpm control, it doesn't work...

 

 

 

Ok it is definitely a bug! When I spawn the same He111 and the same P38 midair the very same key binding works fine, also the technochat acounts for it. 

It only happens when I start parked.

I go report this.

Ok I've tracked it down; it happens to all twin prop machines. They just don't respond to rpm input when they get started from parking.

Sucks since now I can't play online with the P-38.

Hope a quick fix arrives soon!

Edited by JG4_Sputnik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just downloaded the track to take a look but you need to include the folder as well as the .trk file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not a starting position matter anyway, at least not as the only factor. Both P-38 test flights I did so far were done in QMB, from cold-start, parked positions and I had none issues with throttle and RPM whatsoever (engines started individually, props in auto).

 

For what it's worth, I have no automations/helpers turned on in realism options either, @Sputnik, maybe you do and they're causing these problems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JG4_Sputnik said:

Ok weird, I've tested more planes and also the He111 has this issue! The rpm lever does work but in technochat there's no message saying rpms are increased or decreased... no matter what axis I bind to rpm control, it doesn't work...

 

 

 

Ok it is definitely a bug! When I spawn the same He111 and the same P38 midair the very same key binding works fine, also the technochat acounts for it. 

It only happens when I start parked.

I go report this.

Ok I've tracked it down; it happens to all twin prop machines. They just don't respond to rpm input when they get started from parking.

Sucks since now I can't play online with the P-38.

Hope a quick fix arrives soon!

 

So, you only observe this issue when you are parked with twin engines? On airstart in QMB all is fine, right?

 

Well, I observed a small issue on all twin engines, when I'm parked but not since the new update, it was already there before.

Let me explain:

- On twin engines I always make sure (in parked position before I start the engines) that I have all engines selected! (Check techno chat!).
  Because the throttle levers seem always to respond in techno chat, even if you did not select all engines and have two throttle levers.
- I'm a frequent PE2 pilot (and I love this plane btw.) and I always have this issue you just described. Without selecting all engines, throttle
  works ok, but RPM, mixture and radiators do not. My explanation for this would be, as I only have one lever for RPM, one lever for mixture

  and one for the radiators, this means I have to select both (all) engines, otherwise the input will not be recognized.

- When starting the engines and just before taxiing, I recheck the response of the levers and sometimes, more often than I wish, even with
  all engines selected, I lose control of mixture, RPM or radiators - sometimes all of them, sometimes only one or two them. So re-selecting
  all the engines again cures this issue.

 

Try this procedure before you start your engines, check all the levers before you run the engines and make sure the techno chat reacts correctly.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i also had something similiar issues with twin engine planes. RPM works fine thought. I have these bindings for engines select... 1,2,3 and select all engines 4. If i want to close upper cowl flaps for A20 Boston , i have to select number 4 first because they wont close if i press 1+2! 

With other twin engines aircrafts like BF110 i have to select 1+2 and then start the engines, otherwise first engine will throttle up by itself causing plane spin on the ground! So i always select 1 and 2 engines seperately before engine start. 

So you may want to test those engine select options and see if it works. I do not have any issues to start p38 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SYN_Requiem said:

Just downloaded the track to take a look but you need to include the folder as well as the .trk file.

 

Oh shut, will make that tonight. Thanks for looking into it!

 

20 minutes ago, -=-THERION said:

 

So, you only observe this issue when you are parked with twin engines? On airstart in QMB all is fine, right?

 

Well, I observed a small issue on all twin engines, when I'm parked but not since the new update, it was already there before.

Let me explain:

- On twin engines I always make sure (in parked position before I start the engines) that I have all engines selected! (Check techno chat!).
  Because the throttle levers seem always to respond in techno chat, even if you did not select all engines and have two throttle levers.
- I'm a frequent PE2 pilot (and I love this plane btw.) and I always have this issue you just described. Without selecting all engines, throttle
  works ok, but RPM, mixture and radiators do not. My explanation for this would be, as I only have one lever for RPM, one lever for mixture

  and one for the radiators, this means I have to select both (all) engines, otherwise the input will not be recognized.

- When starting the engines and just before taxiing, I recheck the response of the levers and sometimes, more often than I wish, even with
  all engines selected, I lose control of mixture, RPM or radiators - sometimes all of them, sometimes only one or two them. So re-selecting
  all the engines again cures this issue.

 

Try this procedure before you start your engines, check all the levers before you run the engines and make sure the techno chat reacts correctly.

 

Cheers

 

 

3 minutes ago, Hartigan said:

i also had something similiar issues with twin engine planes. RPM works fine thought. I have these bindings for engines select... 1,2,3 and select all engines 4. If i want to close upper cowl flaps for A20 Boston , i have to select number 4 first because they wont close if i press 1+2! 

With other twin engines aircrafts like BF110 i have to select 1+2 and then start the engines, otherwise first engine will throttle up by itself causing plane spin on the ground! So i always select 1 and 2 engines seperately before engine start. 

So you may want to test those engine select options and see if it works. I do not have any issues to start p38 

 

 

Thanks I will check that! However, aren't all engines selected by default? I didn't select them explicitly but when I moved the levers both levers in the game did respond so I guessed that both engines were selected. But I also have only one lever for both engines (throttle and rpm) so maybe I have to extra select both engines just for the game to know that I want both engines selected...

 

Thanks guys, I will test it tonight and post some feedback.

Cheers

31 minutes ago, -=-THERION said:


- I'm a frequent PE2 pilot (and I love this plane btw.) and I always have this issue you just described. Without selecting all engines, throttle
 

 

However, I've testet the PE2 also yesterday and there I don't have this problem. Also not in the ME110 - only on the planes that have levers for rpm and not switches like both planes have.

So affected are only He111, A20, and P38.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Might be something selection-related indeed. I agree P-38 seems to be spawning with both engines selected allright (both throttles/prop levers etc move together when I operate them using Warthog throttle unit). I didn't even know we could start both engines together, that's why I always do deselecting/selecting mumbo-jumbo in all twins, starting the engines separately. Then RPM works OK during taxi and takeoff. Maybe it gets bugged when starting them together, though? More testing is required.

Edited by Art-J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Art-J said:

Might be something selection-related indeed. I agree P-38 seems to be spawning with both engines selected allright (both throttles/prop levers etc move together when I operate them using Warthog throttle unit). I didn't even know we could start both engines together, that's why I always do deselecting/selecting mumbo-jumbo in all twins, starting the engines separately. Then RPM works OK during taxi and takeoff. Maybe it gets bugged when starting them together, though? More testing is required.

 

I also did not think you could start both P38 engines together because the recommended startup says to set Mixture to 'Idle Cutoff' first then increase it when the engine first catches.  That would not work if you turn mix up to Auto for both as soon as Engine one starts (or turn mix to Idle Cut-Off for both before engine two starts)    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

 

I also did not think you could start both P38 engines together because the recommended startup says to set Mixture to 'Idle Cutoff' first then increase it when the engine first catches.  That would not work if you turn mix up to Auto for both as soon as Engine one starts (or turn mix to Idle Cut-Off for both before engine two starts)    

you do not need to do that for p38 or P51. Startup just as well if you set mixture to auto/full before starting engine. Assuming they do not change it in future.

 

7 hours ago, JG4_Sputnik said:

However, I've testet the PE2 also yesterday and there I don't have this problem. Also not in the ME110 - only on the planes that have levers for rpm and not switches like both planes have.

did you try both pe2 variants, doesnt type35 use switches for prop pitch and type87 a wheel/lever. I know that I have to use prop high/low control to set type 35 prop pitch and normal axis type pitch control for type 87. Are they both working? Do you have both types set?

Must be bloody frustrating for you, but I think its a control setting issue rather than a bug because not seen any others with it. Even perhaps a clash between controls (feather prop for instance with something else).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SYN_Requiem said:

Just downloaded the track to take a look but you need to include the folder as well as the .trk file.

 

Ok here are all the files

https://we.tl/t-TOKNypqPqJ

 

Thanks!

 

I go now to do further testing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JG4_Sputnik said:

 

Ok here are all the files

https://we.tl/t-TOKNypqPqJ

 

Thanks!

 

I go now to do further testing...

Well I had a look at it and it's definitely weird. It appears like your P-38 is stuck at a really high pitch setting as if it were in manual pitch control because the only way I could replicate your situation was to be in manual pitch mode and increase the pitch to maximum. That gets the RPM stuck at about 1200 no matter the throttle setting leaving you unable to move. I would check you don't have double bindings for the engine controls, use a different map/mission to try the P-38 on, and see if it changes with cold vs warmed engine starts. Otherwise start in the air then land and shutdown/restart the engines to see if it still happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Art-J said:

Might be something selection-related indeed. I agree P-38 seems to be spawning with both engines selected allright (both throttles/prop levers etc move together when I operate them using Warthog throttle unit). I didn't even know we could start both engines together, that's why I always do deselecting/selecting mumbo-jumbo in all twins, starting the engines separately. Then RPM works OK during taxi and takeoff. Maybe it gets bugged when starting them together, though? More testing is required.

 

It appears to me that the left engine throttle works independently, the right throttle controls both. the pitch and mixture are linked. I have not tried selecting engine 1 or 2 and then operating pitch/mixture. Left engine starts first because it has power generator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

PLOT TWIST!

 

Ok here is a strange thing that happened:

I was fiddling in my control settings when suddenly all those tiny orange boxes that signal that you have double bound a key, disappear. A few secs later my PC shut down.

After a restart and back to IL2, all my keybindings are gone and there were the default ones! 

I spent a hour remapping all my buttons an levers and lo and behold, everything works as it should!

 

That was really strange (ok I've overclocked my CPU lately but it was stable until, well it wasn't stable anymore). But I had rebound my RPM levers before and it didn't work, just now after a complete reset it works now.

 

Thanks for all your tips guys, I guess it really had to do something with the keybindings but I couldn't figure it out without the compete meltdown of my system. And strangely enough it happened only to a few planes in the game.

 

Anyways, happy flying and have a good one,

cheers,

Sputnik

 

Edited by JG4_Sputnik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find when a huge update comes out I save my skins, missions and the Input folder and delete and reinstall the game and everything works great, no phantom bugs at all.  Glad you got it to work finally.  I know a lot of people had problems with the trim settings on buttons after the patch, I did not experience it, everything worked just like it did before the patch. 

 

Cheers

 

Hoss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had almost the same thing happen. I had 3DMigoto loaded when the update installed and it basically erased all of my icon and gunsight files. I had a visualC++ error and no gunsight. I backed up my control files and did a clean reinstall. It fixed all the icon issues but then my joystick would not get recognized even though it was active in windows. I replaced with stock files and reprogrammed the joystick commands and all is perfect. 

 

In in the future, I will make sure there are no custom files running during an update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JG4_Sputnik said:

PLOT TWIST!

 

Ok here is a strange thing that happened:

I was fiddling in my control settings when suddenly all those tiny orange boxes that signal that you have double bound a key, disappear. A few secs later my PC shut down.

After a restart and back to IL2, all my keybindings are gone and there were the default ones! 

I spent a hour remapping all my buttons an levers and lo and behold, everything works as it should!

 

That was really strange (ok I've overclocked my CPU lately but it was stable until, well it wasn't stable anymore). But I had rebound my RPM levers before and it didn't work, just now after a complete reset it works now.

 

Thanks for all your tips guys, I guess it really had to do something with the keybindings but I couldn't figure it out without the compete meltdown of my system. And strangely enough it happened only to a few planes in the game.

 

Anyways, happy flying and have a good one,

cheers,

Sputnik

 

I had exactly your symptoms yesterday. It appears I had inadvertandly switch prop pitch to "manual" at some point during the landing, with pitch set to 0%.....

Could be something else in your case, but symptoms match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...