Sign in to follow this  
FlyingNutcase

Anyone tried Rearm, Repair, Refuel?

I thought Rearm, Repair, Refuel was coming later but it's apparently here! I don't have time to look at this now (or how to set it up) but it would be great to get feedback on it.

I found the rearm, refuel, but have not found the repair key stroke yet.....

I don't think it will work until someone builds a Rhineland map with the correct objects on the map to accomplish it.

Hoss

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 361st_Hoss said:

have not found the repair key stroke yet

According to release notes repair will start automatically, when you are close to a service object and engines have been shut down.

Edited by II./JG77_Kemp

16 minutes ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

According to release notes repair will start automatically, when you are close to a service object and engines have been shut down.

Automatically? Don't think so, because there is a key bound to this function (RCTL + R) if I remember correctly?

38 minutes ago, -=-THERION said:

Automatically? Don't think so, because there is a key bound to this function (RCTL + R) if I remember correctly?

53. It's possible to repair in aircraft when it is near an object with the service parameter set to On in the mission file. Repairs start automatically when the engines shutdown procedure is complete;

Is there time involved in refuel / rearm?  If so, does it make sense that a repair might take longer?

10 minutes ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

Is there time involved in refuel / rearm?  If so, does it make sense that a repair might take longer?

You specify the time in the airfield object advanced properties.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Yep, what Jim said - there is an option in the airfield object advanced properties tab:

repair1.jpg.ecd0a51ab7aace2d398dfd9c06e40b5b.jpg

But there are also the same options for vehicles, so it is my understanding that you can also simply create a vehicle with these options, and these are presumably for tanks, so when you stop your tank within the repair radius of that vehicle and shut off your engine, the repair/refuel/rearm process will start - you dont need to use an airfield.repair2.jpg.8a4e130f50edf097f5a23e5d3f967fbd.jpg

Edited by Flashy
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Flashy said:

But there are also the same options for vehicles, so it is my understanding that you can also simply create a vehicle with these options, and these are presumably for tanks, so when you stop your tank within the repair radius of that vehicle and shut off your engine, the repair/refuel/rearm process will start - you dont need to use an airfield.

I wonder how the repair radius (i.e., Maintenance Radius) works for vehicles? It seems that a vehicle will always stop within it's repair radius because it defines the center of that radius. Note that there is also an "airfield" object called fakevehiclefield (used to spawn tanks in MP) which also has a repair radius.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JimTM said:

I wonder how the repair radius (i.e., Maintenance Radius) works for vehicles? It seems that a vehicle will always stop within it's repair radius because it defines the center of that radius. Note that there is also an "airfield" object called fakevehiclefield (used to spawn tanks in MP) which also has a repair radius.

I think what it means is that as long as the player controlled vehicle (tank or plane) stops within the radius of that vehicle and shuts off their engine, the repair will start. I think repair vehicles can only be LE AI vehicles. So, for eg, you would place a live entity AI truck somewhere, and when players park near it and turn off, they can get repaired..

EDIT: I'm not sure if AI vehicles can also be repaired etc by stopping next to repair vehicles. Presumably they can..

Edited by Flashy
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Flashy said:

I think what it means is that as long as the player controlled vehicle (tank or plane) stops within the radius of that vehicle and shuts off their engine, the repair will start. I think repair vehicles can only be LE AI vehicles. So, for eg, you would place a live entity AI truck somewhere, and when players park near it and turn off, they can get repaired..

EDIT: I'm not sure if AI vehicles can also be repaired etc by stopping next to repair vehicles. Presumably they can..

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

There is also an invisible "fake_vehicle" object in the ME, so you could put down a static fuel truck and then put the fake vehicle there as well with refuel option ticked and maintenance radius set. I will test this with planes.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Actually I have just done a quick test and AI vehicles dont seem to be repaired by the repair vehicle. I presume because they cant shut off their engines, or maybe they are just excluded because we have a repair MCU already...

8 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

There is also an invisible "fake_vehicle" object in the ME, so you could put down a static fuel truck and then put the fake vehicle there as well with refuel option ticked and maintenance radius set. I will test this with planes.

ah yes! that is a good point! Nice one!

EDIT: so if that works then technically you can set up a a proper "repair area" that doesnt even have to be a vehicle - just as long as you have that fake vehicle nearby. You could have LE hangars with those little soldiers walking around and require the player to taxi into a hangar maybe to get repaired? That could be cool ...

These double sided hangars for example:

doublehangar.thumb.jpg.35e2d6a48a6f3c1a667bc965aeabfe5c.jpg

Now all we need are updated versions of your airfield objects! :biggrin::biggrin:

https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/32116-airfield-objects-first-3d-models/

Edited by Flashy
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

Tested, but doesn't seem to work. I think it's WIP.

That was my guess

3 hours ago, Flashy said:

Yep, what Jim said - there is an option in the airfield object advanced properties tab:

repair1.jpg.ecd0a51ab7aace2d398dfd9c06e40b5b.jpg

But there are also the same options for vehicles, so it is my understanding that you can also simply create a vehicle with these options, and these are presumably for tanks, so when you stop your tank within the repair radius of that vehicle and shut off your engine, the repair/refuel/rearm process will start - you dont need to use an airfield.repair2.jpg.8a4e130f50edf097f5a23e5d3f967fbd.jpg

The fact the mission builder can specify the RRR times is just great - nicely customizable for general multiplayer or more serious coops or whatever. NIce thinking Devs!

So the structure is in place, just awaiting implementation as per their plan of "after physiology". Suweeet.

I wonder what will be the incentive for player to actually refuel instead of taking a new plane? I usully see players spawn and dart across the taxiway straight into the air. I imagine those same players won't bother to taxi over to a fuel truck???

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

I wonder what will be the incentive for player to actually refuel instead of taking a new plane? 

If you’re on a server with restricted access to uber aircraft, you get to keep the uber plane and say screw you to everyone on your team that was hoping to fly one.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Refuelling works, I just tested it.

1. Set the refuel time, and make sure you are within the Maintenance Radius.
  2. Turn off engines, and press the refuel button.

Important: you need to leave it pressed down to keep refuelling. This has the advantage that it allows you to stop at any time, if you dont want a full fuel load. The technochat will indicate the % refuel progress.

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BraveSirRobin said:

If you’re on a server with restricted access to uber aircraft, you get to keep the uber plane and say screw you to everyone on your team that was hoping to fly one.

Also, this way you can set up a refueling airfield/airstrip, where there are NO spawn points, so you can land, refuel, and take off - maybe at a very forward position.  This not only lets you keep your plane (if there were limited numbers of them now), but also saves flight time to the front possibly.

2 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

I wonder what will be the incentive for player to actually refuel instead of taking a new plane? I usully see players spawn and dart across the taxiway straight into the air. I imagine those same players won't bother to taxi over to a fuel truck???

No, they won't. There are so many who don't bother to land their aircraft either. More often than not they fly 'till they die. You're right, they won't use RRR much.

But others will use it. The incentive will be the satisfaction they get from using the RRR. A satisfaction at keeping the same plane intact and for that to be an extension to the preservation of their own virtual life. You either have this mindset, or you don't.

The other factor may well be, I predict, when a player wishes to retain possession of their high performing airframe, which perhaps has been crashed so many times by others that it is no longer spawnable. RRR should increase the incentive to safely land and RRR the same aircraft. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, FlyingNutcase said:

I thought Rearm, Repair, Refuel was coming later but it's apparently here! I don't have time to look at this now (or how to set it up) but it would be great to get feedback on it.

Set it up on the Battlefields server yesterday after update. Works with caveats.

10 hours ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

That is correct. Instantaneous repair when within maintenance area and engine is shut down...

9 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

As far as I can tell setting the time in seconds (limit is 100) within the advance properties of the objects makes no difference with regards to the Refuel or Rearm process within the service area.

Default:

RT Ctrl+A = Rearm

RT Ctrl+F = Refuel

*Remember to use the "reload all guns" after above rearming is complete. Ordinance rearming is instantaneous.

Default:

Left ALT+R= Reload all guns.

9 hours ago, JimTM said:

You specify the time in the airfield object advanced properties.

Doesn't work for the Airfield nor Vehicle Object Spawn points. Setting the Time in Seconds has no effect. See above post in response to Stoopy...

7 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

Certain objects do not work. Fake vehicles and the NDB to name two. What does work is the Horch and the new GM Truck. Haven't used/tested anything else...

1 hour ago, AKA_Relent said:

Also, this way you can set up a refueling airfield/airstrip, where there are NO spawn points, so you can land, refuel, and take off - maybe at a very forward position.  This not only lets you keep your plane (if there were limited numbers of them now), but also saves flight time to the front possibly.

There are so many scenarios that this can be used with. Within a spawn enabled Airfield or on its own near the frontline...

======================================

The repair function process as instantaneous when entering/within the service is exactly like having invulnerable checked. Lose the landing gear or ding the prop on take-off and all the sudden your back up. This function definitely needs some work and a working timer...

All good...

Edit... Oh and this does work in SP as well. 

Edited by [DBS]Tx_Tip
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

so many questions right now...

anyone know which servers currently have this feature?

Also, where is this "service area" 

can i change my loadout?

can i change my skin?

The patch notes leave much to be desired. For instance, not telling us there's a separate key you need to press to activate rearming or HOLDING down a key to refuel. It sounds like the features work, just wished it would have been explained better. this goes for the photo in cockpit thing too

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, =KG76=flyus747 said:

so many questions right now...

anyone know which servers currently have this feature?

Also, where is this "service area" 

can i change my loadout?

can i change my skin?

The patch notes leave much to be desired. For instance, not telling us there's a separate key you need to press to activate rearming or HOLDING down a key to refuel. It sounds like the features work, just wished it would have been explained better. this goes for the photo in cockpit thing too

Check the Steam discussions on IL-2. Someone made a video explaining how to do the cockpit photo. He does some stuff with a mask and layers in GIMP. I just took a photo of my dog, made it sepia and saved it as a dds in the proper folder and it worked fine once that feature was turned on in game. Added linky https://steamcommunity.com/app/307960

Edited by Muff_Huggar

2 hours ago, Muff_Huggar said:

Check the Steam discussions on IL-2. Someone made a video explaining how to do the cockpit photo. He does some stuff with a mask and layers in GIMP. I just took a photo of my dog, made it sepia and saved it as a dds in the proper folder and it worked fine once that feature was turned on in game. Added linky https://steamcommunity.com/app/307960

im talking about the repair/rearm/refuel lol

14 hours ago, =KG76=flyus747 said:

im talking about the repair/rearm/refuel lol

To quote you exactly: "...this goes for the photo in the cockpit thing too." 

Just trying to help where I can. I'll do better next time.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:43 PM, FlyingNutcase said:

The fact the mission builder can specify the RRR times is just great - nicely customizable for general multiplayer or more serious coops or whatever. NIce thinking Devs!

Too bad the maximum delay is limited to 100s

Bye

We tried this (rearm/refuel) other day and could not get it to work.  Don't think we were holding the key down for any of the controls...might have made a difference.

What is the difference between "return planes" in the airfield advance properties and "renewable" in the advance properties of planes that are included in the airfield? (other then the time you can set in renewable)

If a particular planes is limited to 3, and all we have checked is "return planes", and a pilot lands within the maintenance radius, when they finish flight, will there still be 3 planes to chose from?

And, if this is to work, are these the boxes I want checked in the airfield advance properties?  There was a post that said if you are going to use rearm/refuel, then "renewable" should not be checked (plane settings dialogue)

1985716390_returnplanesA.thumb.jpg.aa16a6c774583030d1860640eef95a70.jpg

On 10/2/2019 at 4:52 PM, WWSitttingDuck said:

We tried this (rearm/refuel) other day and could not get it to work.  Don't think we were holding the key down for any of the controls...might have made a difference.

What is the difference between "return planes" in the airfield advance properties and "renewable" in the advance properties of planes that are included in the airfield? (other then the time you can set in renewable)

"return planes" means an aircraft that is landed at the airfield goes back into the pool of available aircraft.

"renewable" means "if there are less than the maximum number of available aircraft in the pool, regenerate one aircraft every X minutes". For example, if you configure an airfield to have 10 Spitfires, and some of them have been used up, and you configure Spitfires to be renewable every 30 minutes, the server will add a single new Spitfire to the pool every 30 minutes if there are less than 10 in the pool.

• Upvote 1