Posted (edited)

Hi,

I didn't have time to try out the new update yet. I'm wondering if maybe some people with VR had tried it and could share their opinion :)

- any performance update ?

- how is the new plane visibility in VR ?

any other comments / remarks are welcome :)

Edited by AirHoly_VR

Is point " 102. A workaround added for VR HMDs without hardware IPD adjustment - LShift-NumPad+ and LShift-NumpadEnter directly move the images on the VR screen farther or closer." available even in HMDs that have mechanical IPD adjusters. e.g. Vive variants?  That is, does it work in any HMD?

If so, that is a Godsend to VR users for making imagery crisp.

I had a 140.dll error, reloaded visualbasicc++ and got a stack dump. Did a system restore and trying to sort out USB conflicts so for me visibility is very limited ATM 🙁

Posted (edited)

I fly VR now with the HP Reverb and have only 1 issue, which is because of the Reverb and not the game itself.

The Problem of the Reverb is it´s very badly calibrated screens in terms of brightness and colours. It is Always too bright.

In IL-2 I changed the Gamma to 0,75.....with that I get for outside view a soso Ok brightness level, still a bit too bright , BUT inside the Cockpit  everything is way too dark, it is dark like night.

Anybody has an idea what I can do there to get inside the Cockpit brighter and outside darker?

I wish that in Windows Mixed Reality I could calibrate the screens to my favour, which is not possible,

Edited by spitfirejoe

8 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

Gamma to 0,75

Same here , there is no solution I can think of.

Resolution is so good , I am still blown away.

Also make sure you know your IPD, that does make a difference in clarity (not the colors though unfortunately)

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Also make sure you know your IPD, that does make a difference in clarity (not the colors though unfortunately)

Yeah…..my IPD is not a Problem at all.....my only Problem is colours and brightness Levels, those are soooo unbalanced with the Reverb and honestly that is the bigest downsight of the Reverb in my opinion.

Is there no external Software available where I can calibrate the screens of the Reverb?

Edited by spitfirejoe

5 hours ago, mpdugas said:

Is point " 102. A workaround added for VR HMDs without hardware IPD adjustment - LShift-NumPad+ and LShift-NumpadEnter directly move the images on the VR screen farther or closer." available even in HMDs that have mechanical IPD adjusters. e.g. Vive variants?  That is, does it work in any HMD?

If so, that is a Godsend to VR users for making imagery crisp.

It works on my Vive, combined with the mechanical one. It's great because you can really tweak it until it feels just right. I use an IPD of 63mm, but it seems 60mm would feel perfect in game, for me. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Hey moto, do you know if the default ipd for the rift is accurate? I know that you have used one at some point

3 hours ago, -332FG-Hank_DG said:

Hey moto, do you know if the default ipd for the rift is accurate? I know that you have used one at some point

I think the IPD on the Oculus worked great.

You need to know your IPD, it does makes a difference.

7 minutes ago, J3Hetzer said:

I learned my IPD by adjusting the Rift to get good focus. ;)

I thought the same and used my Oculus with 64 IPD.

Went to get my IPD at the eye doctor and it is 62.5, he did not charged me to get my IPD.

If you have a Pimax HMD try running with PP off for a nice performance boost.  Only thing that doesn't work is VR Zoom give double vision, so I close one eye when zooming :)

6 hours ago, Wolferl_1791 said:

It works on my Vive, combined with the mechanical one. It's great because you can really tweak it until it feels just right. I use an IPD of 63mm, but it seems 60mm would feel perfect in game, for me. 

Many thanks for your feedback; I was hoping for that!

It's quite an improvement for us Pimax users.  Native support for canted screens is a game changer, literally.  I could never go back to flying with Parallel Projections as the image is just wrong and a mess compared to without PP.

With gamma issues in cockpit compared to outside scenery - do you have HDR enabled?

I find HDR makes a huge difference with in cockpit lighting.  What I don't like though is bloom but I might see if it has been changed with this release.  I usually turn it of in the startup.cfg file.

Also SSAO I fly with it off as it is a frame hog.

HDR is switched off in my case…..I still strugle with too dark Cockpits while outide too bright and not so colourfull.

11 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

I fly VR now with the HP Reverb and have only 1 issue, which is because of the Reverb and not the game itself.

The Problem of the Reverb is it´s very badly calibrated screens in terms of brightness and colours. It is Always too bright.

In IL-2 I changed the Gamma to 0,75.....with that I get for outside view a soso Ok brightness level, still a bit too bright , BUT inside the Cockpit  everything is way too dark, it is dark like night.

Anybody has an idea what I can do there to get inside the Cockpit brighter and outside darker?

I wish that in Windows Mixed Reality I could calibrate the screens to my favour, which is not possible,

Is this with 3.201? Mine is fine.  Had same issue before update, but now okay.  I have not been on winter map though, where i noticed what you describe for first time last month.

it´s on any map…..also before this latest update and after. As I said, it´s a General Reverb issue…..but annoying.

I wish we could Change the Gamma for inside the cockpit separately from outside the Cockpit.

1. You can turn bloom off in your startup.cfg with HDR on.

2. I turn on instrument lights on for extra contrast 100%, as I do this IRL in the Pipers i fly.

I haven't been flying much lately. My original Vega 64 was RMA and I went about three weeks without a reasonable video card. It was replaced with a Nitro Vega 64, which is  a much better card. I also have a Lenovo Explorer. One of the first things I noticed was the hit from opening the HUD was gone. I had a steady 90 fps with or without it on. I don't know if this is something with the latest version or in some previous patch that came out while I was languishing. I just flew my Spad around the new map for an hour so without shooting at anything and looking around and seemed just fine.

13 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

I have a Reverb too, and brightness is a problem indeed. I fly with 0.6 gamma, hdr on, bloom off, and with cockpit lights on. With these options the cockpit instruments are readable and the outside world is dark enough. Still not as good as a monitor but I won't use a flat screen after trying vr. 

2 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

HDR is switched off in my case…..I still strugle with too dark Cockpits while outide too bright and not so colourfull.

Try turning HDR on, it will lighten up your cockpit.

Has anybody lost the gunsight reticle?

Since the update mine is gone. O+

2 minutes ago, CDRSEABEE said:

Has anybody lost the gunsight reticle?

Since the update mine is gone. O+

If you have 3DMigoto installed, you need to disable it until they get it updated. Gunsight returns with it disabled.

Following my flights yesterday:

- I didn't feel any update in performance. FPS was lower, but maybe because of the amount of planes on the ground on Allies side (usually around 40, here 25).

- Visibility is indeed waaay better. However, as stated by some, at certain distances zooming in makes the planes smaller for some reason.

8 hours ago, =BES=Savage-6 said:

1. You can turn bloom off in your startup.cfg with HDR on.

2. I turn on instrument lights on for extra contrast 100%, as I do this IRL in the Pipers i fly.

I find that turning on cockpit lights in-game reduces fps by about 4 to 5.  I try to fly with cockpit lights off so as not to lose 4 to 5 fps.

Talisman

Very nice, performance is very smooth and I have a now old system: i5-4670k/vega 56/plain old rift...plus you can spot planes from much farther away!

So retested some of my old AG missions on the BOM map. FPS is the same with same settings after the update.