jcomm-il2

C'mon guys - tell me about that P51d !!!

Do you know - I wasn't even aware this patch had been released !!! 

Now I have a full work day ahead before I get back home - but please give me some feedback on that P51d and how it performs!  Puleeeeeeeze!!!!!

Posted (edited)

It's like sliding nude down a giant mirror at a slight angle, covered in butter whilst drinking bitter coffee.

Edit: Also the gunport howl is nice.

Edited by [DBS]Browning
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

It's like sliding nude down a giant mirror at a slight angle, covered in butter whilst drinking bitter coffee.

Pics or it didn't happen.

• Like 2

It's pretty awesome. I can't wait for the template so I can get to skinning.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@ DEV TEAM.

the P-51 flies really very very nice and is made just perfect, also the whistling Sound is amazing when you pull some more G´s and increase the angle of attack.

I have 1 suggestion which needs to be added…….. after parking, when you have turned off the engine…..it is a NORMAL STANDARD PROCEDURE in a P-51 to pull the Hydraulic Pressure Release Handle to depressurize the hydraulic system! It´s the small handle labeled "Pull" next to the hydraulic system gauge.

After pulling the handle, the hydraulic system gets depressurized, which is done for safety, that the Landing Gear can not be retracted accidentially on ground after parking!

Another effect of depressurizing the hydraulic System is, that after doing so the gear doors will open and come down, because they are held closed by hydraulic pressure. If you see a P-51 parked with closed gear doors, then you know that the pilot forgot to pull the pressure release handle.

PLEASE ADD that! Thank you so much!

Edited by spitfirejoe
  • Like 1

Tempest > P51 in my opinion.
But great update.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It's outstanding! Fast, smooth, stable, excellent in turns (at normal and high speeds)... days of wine and roses for the LW are over!

• Like 4

I judge all planes by how hard they are to shoot down with an IL2.

I'm thinking the P-51 will be beaucoup difficile.

• Like 1

It's better than I'd hoped for. The model looks perfect. The FM is very good. She is fast, even down low. Agile. I can keep up with both the D9 and K4. I like it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ok well

It has am 150octane fuel option

Im def eating crow because its NOT nerfed as my prediction

She handles great. You get a lotta trigger tine outta your 50s. The skins are beautiful.

Shes a joy to fly and easy to fly and handle, but she DOES have the famous nasty stall/spin thats sudden and you need to watch that.

Yes tempest is better.

• Like 1

IMHO best  airplane FM, DM and sound detail the developers has made so far.

Flies realistically, spins and stalls realistically, immersive, beautiful ,and a joy to fly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I didn't expect much from it as a fighter, and honestly I think it lives up to my expectations. I just can't abide a fighter with such poor roll charateristics. 

Of the 3 planes released yesterday, the P-51 is by far my least favorite. I have been training against AI K4s all day (love how aggressive veteran AI is now). With the Tempest I absolutely murder them, with the P-38 I can reliably win, but with the P-51 I'm struggling. It is finicky, not super powerful, rolls like a brick and its armament is at best adequate. 

• Confused 4

3 minutes ago, jcomm-il2 said:

Thank you guys!

Anyrhing specific u wanna know? Ill tell u anything u wanna know.. Or abt the other 2 

Oh and the gunports whistle :)

It feels great! For a lack of a better description: It feels like a fighter should feel like. Responsive, yet stable enough. It's control harmony is great, too.

You need to trim (a lot), but it definately flys very well.

The sounds are cool, too. Especially the play with the gun-port whistling. The engine sounds great.

The visuals are awesome and the loadouts are quite a belt of tools, if you're asking me.

Great airplane alltogether!

Now somebody has to make a cool template, so we can get some wicked colours on that bird. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

I didn't expect much from it as a fighter, and honestly I think it lives up to my expectations. I just can't abide a fighter with such poor roll charateristics. 

Of the 3 planes released yesterday, the P-51 is by far my least favorite. I have been training against AI K4s all day (love how aggressive veteran AI is now). With the Tempest I absolutely murder them, with the P-38 I can reliably win, but with the P-51 I'm struggling. It is finicky, not super powerful, rolls like a brick and its armament is at best adequate. 

Interesting. I judge planes in MP vs real aces. I was flying the P51 up high (5-7K) and there its very good. I like how its still maneuverable at high speeds (as in RL). It doesnt have the best roll rate but 50cals are ok if your a sharp shooter and know where to shoot.

Posted (edited)

It's SPOOOooooOOOooOOOooky

Woooooo

WooooOOOOOoooooooo

OOOOOOooooOOoooooooooooooooo

WOOOOOOOooooooOOOooooooo

Edit: Flies like butter though.  Even flipped out on me and went tumbling from a bad negative G input, really cool to see that instability behavior because it flies otherwise like a tie fighter.  I think it's the most maneuverable P51 FM I've flown.

Edited by CAFulcrum
  • Haha 1

I love it, like all the new planes. 

That said, down low I'd rate it as just "good". It's basically like having a P40 that actually has a good engine, but with better visibility and zoominess. It'll dogfight well with anything down there, at least to the point where its pilot skill that matters (with the 150 octane fuel at least). 

However, when you take it up high that's when it starts to really sing. Get up to its stage 2 height (15,000 feet), and it gets a major kick in the bum and turns into a rocket (again, w/ 150). Definitely feels like a good fighter to deal with anyone in the stratosphere (though to be fair I only fought people below that, but in every case did quite well, when I wasn't taken by surprise).

I see two major flaws: 1- the P-51 loses a LOT of elevator authority in a dive, similar to the P-47. So it's not a good bouncer if you're too high above your target. The difference with the P40, however, is that even if you miss your bounce you have plenty of energy and can keep the initiative a lot more easily. 2- It takes some testing to get the most of it on continuous power. If you just go with what the specifications say you will find yourself quite underpowered. Take it to the brink of combat, however, and you get a lot more out of that engine and a pretty good rate of climb.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

I see two major flaws: 1- the P-51 loses a LOT of elevator authority in a dive, similar to the P-47. So it's not a good bouncer if you're too high above your target. The difference with the P40, however, is that even if you miss your bounce you have plenty of energy and can keep the initiative a lot more easily.

Are you sure that's not just down to being trimmed noseheavy?

Totally agree with the end especially.  Ignore the notes for continous power.  Push her till it goes to combat power and twiddle it back to its JUST UNDER and in fact if you go in a dive itll probably go to combat power. That way even at say 8k you can putt along at a good 250 mph at least which isnt bad just for a cruising speed honestly.

I have to admit Ive been a little surprised. Once I realized I was flyinf the 47 ALL WRONG (read not usinf rhe turbo settings. AT ALL - unaware and without another axis for them, once I found I could interlock the turbo and rpms though) and I changed things oddly enough I go about as fast down low in a 47 as a 51! Only difference is the P47s engine is going full tilt and the P51s will be in continous heh heh.

The tempest is a real beauty though. I hate how fast you run out of ammo but my god that things powerful.

The 150 octane fuel makes a difference but it actually specifices how much airspeed increase you get from in it game. Surprisingly to me its "only" 20 or 30 mph more.  Remember of course Im a layman and considering tthe huge arguments over the 150 option I thoght it did something like add 50 mph.or 80 lol.  Silly.

Dont think the P38 doesnt shine either.   The 2 engines are great and shes a lot of fun. Its neat flying and seeing both props on eitber side of you. She can carry a ridiculous amount of bonbs for the time period esp with the extra bomb racks mod. IIRC you can get 2 2k bombs and 2 500s on her, or mahbe the 2 2ks arw the max still she can carry a lotta bombss

Surprisingly more so she handles really well dogfighting.  Shes big so it almost feels like dogfighting in a p47 but.. Its not.  The centermounted guns realllly help in some shooting situations and she turns surprisingly well even with say a 109..

The P38s also got a lot of interesting little noises to her.  You turn down the engiime and this odd whirrimg starts (not a bug) etc. The plane feels very alive..

I *really* like the P38 mirror. I HATE the round mirror for spits and p47s p51s. I think it looks silly and idk just dont like it.  The p38 mirror is nice, rectangular, and actually useful. I often use other planes mirrors once in a hundred situatiojs usually (in this game) the 38 I check the mirror maybe 8 times out of a hundred. Certainly not a play style but Ive def noticed!

On the p51 REMEMBER THE FUEL.  And REMEMBER 68%.  68% is the magic line for fuel. Above it the center of gravity will change and even official USAAF rules told pilots to avoid combat and even hard maneuvering etc above that fuel level. Its a different plane above that 68% threshold. Now we.ve had other planes notoriousn for people taking too much fuel accidentally - 111s, 110s, p47s, but this is really important with this one. Mostly bexause the COG issues but also because she carried so much gas anyways.  Oh and ya fuels heavy - your performance will suffer.

As far as fuel with the otherd the tempest is like a spit or a 109 take it all. The p38 I dont have a magic % but she doesnt suffer from the COG issues. Just eyeball it. You certainly wont need 100%... 

On radiators its all auto cept the tempest which is basically OPEN OR CLOSE (itll be 0% then open to 100%) i fly witb it open a lot if not in combat. Why not? Anyways thats all the gameplay stuff I xan really think of atm... Hmm

Seriously though the p51 eith extra .50 cal ammo legitnhas like a 14 or 15 second (I didnt actually time it I counted and I forget exactly) fire time on its guns.  Use them in 'squirts' and you got LOTS of ammo.  

• Like 2

I noticed while sightseeing in the p51d on continuous, the motor gets a sort of 5 second 'death march' sound in the background of the motor noise repeating over and over again.

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Are you sure that's not just down to being trimmed noseheavy?

Could be, I'll have to check. But the P-38 and the Tempest do not have that issue at all. You keep most of your authority until you get into silly high speeds. For the pony, even a bounce from 2000 meters up is enough to seriously kill the elevator authority.

Also, as for fuel load, keep in mind that you're fighting a tactical scenario in this sim... you do NOT need to go anywhere near your full fuel load for a long mission. Even the magic 68% limit is far too much. The Mustang is very fuel efficient at continuous, and you can get a lot of flight time with just 300 liters.

7 minutes ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

It whistles! 

Probably the best comment in this whole thread

it also has access to 150 octane drinks from the nearest pub :)

Posted (edited)

It's very smooth and very fast, and it picks up speed in the dive most ricky-tick.  A very balanced platform IMHO.  Yes, the Tempest is more of a beast, especially down low, but do be careful about high G pull outs with it as it will break it's wings before you black out.  The P38 has a very good roll rate, is fast enough, climbs really well, and can carry a 4 ton bomb load, which is astounding.  And it has the bonus of being able to get you home on one engine.  All in all the Allies have quite a varied and useful toolbox now.

Have not picked a favorite yet, but I am comfortable in any of them, still need more time in the 25lb. Spit IX, as I think there is much potential there now.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 1

I was surprised at how stable it is as a shooting platform. Being intended as a nimble plane, I imagined the sights would bounce all over the place like the p39, but no! Same goes for the p38.

It's so fast, smooth and nimble, makes the K4 feel like an obsolete brick. The .50 cals are very accurate and easy to aim and the 109s often explode mid-air after a short, but accurate burst...

Posted (edited)

I had a strange "issue" today with P38. I have stared the mission "parked" and pressed "e" button but nothing happened. Is it a bug or can it happen sometimes? (like real engine issue). Restarting the mission "fixed" the "issue".

Edited by Zeev
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Could be, I'll have to check. But the P-38 and the Tempest do not have that issue at all. You keep most of your authority until you get into silly high speeds. For the pony, even a bounce from 2000 meters up is enough to seriously kill the elevator authority.

Also, as for fuel load, keep in mind that you're fighting a tactical scenario in this sim... you do NOT need to go anywhere near your full fuel load for a long mission. Even the magic 68% limit is far too much. The Mustang is very fuel efficient at continuous, and you can get a lot of flight time with just 300 liters.

I just had a go at it again, and she definately loses some elevator authority. Part of it is the trim, though.

Then again, it's good you can't haul back any more, as you'll black out anyway and/ or over-g the airframe.

Did some more flying last night, and won this wonderful duel vs a K4. Both of us low level, fighting in the vertical and the horizontal, it was a wonderful fight.

Hum, ok, looking at the stats looks like it was a 2v1... started vs a Dora, shot him up, then a K4 came in and the Dora left, and then I completed the duel with the K4 (I DID wonder how come my target had stopped smoking). Either way, the point is this was a pretty good showing for the mustang! There was a period where we turned semi-horizontally, and I nearly stalled, but recovered and managed to keep it together. I almost put down flaps by a notch or two, but it would probably have killed my speed and made things worse.

Also, and very amusingly, in that same flight I started out covering one of our targets, and at one point I looked at my alt and I read it as 8k and grumbled that I was too low, though the view outside seemed strange. Then I noticed the high blower light was on... turns out I climbed to Angels 18 without actually noticing. As a pilot who spent the last 2 months specializing in the P40 and the P-39, this was absolutely stunning and hilarious. :)

19 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Who give a shit. Tell me more about the Tempest and P 38

Tempest is fantastic fun! Not flown the Lightning enough to give any useful opinion. Looks cool, though.

• Like 1

Since we are discussing her... I just keep having this weirdness, and not sure if its a feature, but she keeps trying to roll right like crazy... no matter how much I trim her to the left she just keeps rolling and rolling unless i actively balance it... which is kinda annoying when on longer flights... Yaw trim seems to help but I find it hard to believe I need Left trim 90% to keep her straight... anyone has this? or am I just so rusty that I forgot how to fly single engines? 

39 minutes ago, E4GLEyE said:

Since we are discussing her... I just keep having this weirdness, and not sure if its a feature, but she keeps trying to roll right like crazy... no matter how much I trim her to the left she just keeps rolling and rolling unless i actively balance it... which is kinda annoying when on longer flights... Yaw trim seems to help but I find it hard to believe I need Left trim 90% to keep her straight... anyone has this? or am I just so rusty that I forgot how to fly single engines? 

The Mustang can be trimmed like any other single engines, and will tend to roll due to torque. Rudder trim fixes this tendency, coupled with aileron trim as needed.

That said, I do find it a little harder to trim: responsiveness seems a bit slow, though maybe that's a result of the new trimming commands.

1 hour ago, E4GLEyE said:

Rudder trim first, then aileron trim if needed.