[DBS]Browning

On the new visibility system

32 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Fair enough, lets try that over the Moscow map.

Good, this shows how much the spotting currently sucks.

-One of those formations was totally invisible at first.

-All of the planes are hard to see and the formation moving left to right is so inconsistent that you could easily miss it.

-As you adjusted the zoom, without the icons I could not have seen 2/3rds of the plane over the forest, even when u zoomed in close.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

And the most important part, monitor / resolution or VR? 😄

1920x1080

I use tir4. Its a very large... 45 inch? 1080p television set. Pretty giant honestly, it still strikes me and I probably shouldn't have done it as it will be difficult to go backward lol 144 htz is next.

The objects are rendering more or less, although zoomed out they fade into lines 1 pixel thick and tend to pop in and out of render eventually. They dont look like airplanes or anything at all really.

The issue is if I cant see them it doesnt matter. lol They arent rendered enough. All flight sims have had this same exact issue and as resolutions grew the issue became more exaggerated.

5 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

And this is maybe a weird question, but how do people know how far away the objects they're spotting are? Against the ground, if you know your own position over the ground, and can tell their position, then you can estimate it. A lot of guys were confidently stating distances against the sky or at oblique angle, I just wonder how they were doing that. 

I know of one way, but I don't want to share it or make accusations.

It has with the new hotfix I think wreaked havoc with my PimaxVR...sigh...

1 minute ago, YIPPEE said:

Good, this shows how much the spotting currently sucks.

I don't agree, you can see those aircraft from more than 15 km above. On my setup I see then just fine. If you play the video at a lower resolution than what I am using on the display you will lose quality, regardless of that there is a quality loss due to video compression anyway. 

I think the long range spotting is a red herring.
What people are really getting annoyed about is the short -midrange spotting 0-5km where it is very easy to lose a contact that you have eyes on especially on certain types of background. Biggest example of this is when you follow an aircraft diving towards a forest, and the noise of the forest just conceals the aircraft that you have to zoom in max to seek him out, as if there is no contrast between the aircraft right in front of you and the forest

Edited by =362nd_FS=RoflSeal
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 11

5 minutes ago, =362nd_FS=RoflSeal said:

What people are really getting annoyed about is the short -midrange spotting 0-5km where it is very easy to lose a contact that you have eyes on especially on certain types of background. Biggest example of this is when you follow an aircraft diving towards a forest, and the noise of the forest just conceals the aircraft that you have to zoom in max to seek him out, as if there is no contrast between the aircraft right in front of you and the forest

Ah, this is actually a much better argument, imho. So, if really people are begging for return of short/midrange spotting, what feature of original post patch settings was making it better?

8 minutes ago, =362nd_FS=RoflSeal said:

+1000

Ok compared 3.201 with 3.201b and I can only say that if the version 3.201 were ever presented before I bought this game and then replaced with sh## we had before 3.201 or after in 3.201b (in terms of spotting) I would never spend a single dollar on this title.

The new visibility system it is perfect , 

I can finally enjoy .

But there are two problems :

Les FPS for many players who  have a  low/  mid  PCs . 

The other problem is the bombers pilots  "they are crying" because now they can be seen from a realistic distance now.

Everything looks perfect On the new visibility system I really like it. 

If the game goes to roll back On the new visibility system  I will no play any more for sure !!! and give you my premium account in this forum.

Edited by [LAS]URU-Panzer

This happens all the time in these types of games, some aspect of the sim is over-modeled and it needs to be reverted or scaled back.

In this case it was "fun" that was over-modeled.  This upset a few people.

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr
  • Haha 1

Gents, there is a new patch/hotfix out now (477MB). Lets see if anything changed...

I don't understand why so many in this discussion are polarized in their position to one extreme or another.  100k theoretical distance was clearly too much for airborne contacts (might as well have had stupid icons on!), while 10k strikes many people as unrealistically small.  So split the difference between them, give or take, and tune from there.

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Gents, there is a new patch/hotfix out now (477MB). Lets see if anything changed...

3.201c???

31 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

I don't agree, you can see those aircraft from more than 15 km above. On my setup I see then just fine. If you play the video at a lower resolution than what I am using on the display you will lose quality, regardless of that there is a quality loss due to video compression anyway. 

No u cant. you can see maybe less than half of them.

3 minutes ago, YIPPEE said:

No u cant. you can see maybe less than half of them.

Yes I can, on my setup I see them just fine. 

4 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

what is your setup? a 55 inch 4k OLED?

I am on a 1440pm screen and i watched that full screen. You cannot see them very well. The top group disapears once it leaves the trees and the right group goes in and out.

7 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Well I'm with YIPPEE on this, I can't see ****.

Reading some of the comments in this thread have been amazing...  People need to calm down.

40 year old man travels on commercial airlines for decades.. reading magazines, sleeping, etc.

One day the flight crew announce WIFI is now available on the aircraft.

Ten minutes later the flight announce the WIFI isn't working on the flight

MAN IS ANGRY THAT THE WIFI ISN'T WORKING

• Upvote 1

As someone who mainly flies offline now I'm hoping this latest hotfix solves the issue for me. Thanks to the Devs for reacting so fast to community concerns.

i see option is added in realisam settings, nice job, this is how you turn what was bug in more options for satisfied costumers, hope ppl aword them with some stuff to buy from store :)

Edited by 77.CountZero

1 minute ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

what are your graphic settings? do you have some customized options in the startup.ini file / reshade /Nvidia control panel?

Here are my setting mate.

2019_10_4__13_28_8.thumb.jpg.36c8f7d6dd13a6f0297f44684e7c8d3b.jpg

Don't fly for two days, I just read this

( Dear friends, Having observed very differrent responses to the visibility change yesterday which returned to more realistic values, we have decided to add a new difficulty option called 'Alternate visibility'. It is turned on on Normal difficulty and turned off on Expert, ) 

I must check this tonight
I really loved visibility on the first day on the patch releases, without changes or adjustments.

Much better for me Han, my 50+ years old eyesight is nowhere near as good as my 37 years old eyesight!
I'm very grateful for the choice.

So it's either back to very short range (10k-ish) that will continue to annoy many people, on the one hand, or else the extreme, bionic-man vision we had at Bodenplatte release, with no option for anything in between?   Why is there no consideration for a middle ground that will help satisfy both camps, instead of splitting them now along the lines of different server options?

Edited by SeaSerpent

Just now, SeaSerpent said:

So it's either back to very short range (10k-ish) that will continue to annoy many people, on the one hand, or else the extreme, bionic-man vision we had at Bodenplatte release, with no option for anything in between?

right? I mean, c'mon... Now there will be a further divide. Those that use mega spotting will likely be considered noobs who fly easy mode or something... 

13 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Here are my setting mate.

2019_10_4__13_28_8.thumb.jpg.36c8f7d6dd13a6f0297f44684e7c8d3b.jpg

You're running almost the same setup as I am, but at 2k resolution I find the scratches on the canopy look terrible if "Sharpen" is enabled so I keep it off. Do you notice a big difference with that set to on?

Edited by =SqSq=Sulaco

2 minutes ago, Tasmanaut said:

right? I mean, c'mon... Now there will be a further divide. Those that use mega spotting will likely be considered noobs who fly easy mode or something... 

It's a server setting, the people shooting you down will have the same visibility settings as you. Just like the new G force stuff. calm down yall

• Upvote 2

Guys there is two options, you can play on expert or normal servers. I will play expert. The problem before was about things not rendering after 10k. I guess that for small aircraft more than 20-25km is BVR. Is possible to see but very hard. Before was not rendering so was Impossible.

Edited by III./SG77-G_Boelcke
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, =SqSq=Sulaco said:

I find the scratches on the canopy look terrible if "Sharpen" is enabled so I keep it off. Do you notice a big difference with that set to on?

Not really, I do sometimes switch it off but I just prefer it enabled.

1 minute ago, flyingfisch said:

It's a server setting, the people shooting you down will have the same visibility settings as you. Just like the new G force stuff. calm down yall

Please don't be patronizing.  According to the developers we are now offered the choice of either Hot or Cold, Black or White, one extreme or the other.  Why it has to be one or the other without any consideration of simply tuning and optimizing the setting, I do not understand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Not really, I do sometimes switch it off but I just prefer it enabled.

Hmm, maybe I'll bounce between the two for a bit, always good to see what settings others are running as I find the fine tuning doesn't stop at the developers end. I'm always tweaking something to get this to look just that little bit better. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tasmanaut said:

You sound like you'd also complain if you won a million dollars. 

Within 1 (!!!) day under high development pressure a New Feature was introduced that should satisfy people that liked it before and people that liked it afterwards and there is still complaints. You will not ever get more than this in such a short time. 

Have some praise for the hard work. 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, SeaSerpent said:

Please don't be patronizing.  According to the developers we are now offered the choice of either Hot or Cold, Black or White, one extreme or the other.  Why it has to be one or the other without any consideration of simply tuning and optimizing the setting, I do not understand.

exactly. And there are those that will look down upon this 'normal' setting as using noob easy mode ala icons... When all it does is make the game more playable. Something in between would be great

2 hours ago, SPEEDWULF77 said:

Yes, and finally as mentioned before i agree the direction should be to have lots of people having fun, because that is what gives this game future, a balance between realism and fun gameplay.. 

If you only go to "realistic" it will end because only a few entusiasts will follow and devs wont get paid for their work... 

I'm sorry, but flying simulators have been around for decades. They have pretty much always strived for as much realism as is possible given the hardware and software limitations of their time. To say they need to be dumbed down and "gamified" in order to keep attracting customers and be viable as a business is nonsense. They'll never make the money of a CoD or GTA, but they fill a definite niche market which has existed as long as personal computers and will continue to do so. These forums alone show that there is a very healthy market for full simulations, and the kind of posts you find here show that people want realism and not simplicity for simplicity's sake. If you want a more gamey experience like War Thunder then... why not play War Thunder?

2 hours ago, Spicysauced said:

Exactly. Be careful what you wish for.
In absolute consequence, TOTAL REALISM would include:
- LW being outnumbered 50:1 in late44/45 settings, hardcoded in game/servers
- LW (and earlier USSR planes too) planes having random failures due to bad construction by mostly forced laborers, hardcoded in game aswell
- LW always losing the end of ALL rounds in late settings/mostly winning in early eastern front settings
- fuel shortages (100 liters has to be enough comrade!)
- no abilty to respawn in a new plane after you crashlanded (a new plane takes time to be manufactured), hardcoded in game
- late LW pilots suffering from bad training, hardcoded aswell maybe in form of handling mistakes ("Wanted to adjust prop pitch, oh sorry, adjusted mixture instead, all these levers man ...")
and so on.

Since TOTAL realism isnt possible anyways, devs should go with the next best option: FUN for the players. And to a huge degree, this included a good spotting mechanism, the one we had for 2 days. 

All but one of the things you mentioned there have absolutely nothing to do with the simulation aspect of IL-2 or general gameplay. They would all be campaign/mission settings, unlike things like spotting which are core gameplay elements.

Anyway, thank you Han for adding the choice. As a VR player wanting to get rid of the HUD, having the option for "enhanced" spotting will be very helpful. :good:

Edited by Goffik
  • Confused 1

Well there's always a chance it will be tweaked more, they have literally done this overnight so cut them some slack.

• Upvote 2