AeroAce

No Ruhr Dams Destroyed or Otherwise?????

Posted (edited)

I love the new BOBP map but I took some time to fly over some famous spots of the war and was a little disappointed. 

There are no dam structures destroyed or otherwise?? I flew over Arnhem and the bridge looks really wrong compared to photos I have found with some strange revetments??

A bit of a shame to not have these key structures correctly in the game. It is a bit strange that we have really accurate churches and buildings like stations but not some of the key targets of the war???

Edited by AeroAce
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The dams were repaired 2 weeks after Op. Chastise.

Op Chastise was 16-17 May 1943. Op Bodenplatte was 1st January 1945. der Nazis tidied it all up by then.

Edited by Reggie_Mental
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Reggie_Mental said:

The dams were repaired 2 weeks after Op. Chastise.

That was the otherwise bit of my post. So basically they are missing from the game which is sad.

Edited by AeroAce

Posted (edited)

How can you claim that as a war crime. It supposed to paralyze production plants and is a very legit target in war.

Losses of Civilian life is this time a side  effect and not directly targeted for once. Besides that 

consideration was thrown overboard when Luftwaffe targeted London. 

Dont misuse the word warcrime 

Edited by LuseKofte

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

I dont want it to be convo about this because you know how it will go. I should not have typed that. 

What I want to know is why they are not there. I have deleted my post can you please delete yours

Edited by AeroAce

Its weird to follow a discussion where pieces of it have been just deleted. That should be against the rules imho. Like in real life, we should explain or even recant what's been said, and not "un-say" things.

Anyways.

Since we are playing a flight sim and not "cities skykines", I would say that (almost) nobody expects a perfect, flawless map. Imagine if more time/effort was directed towards we getting exact bridges, dams etc....! The update would never see the light of day.

6 hours ago, AeroAce said:

What I want to know is why they are not there.

Because the devs have limited time and recources and can't possibly model every single building and terrain feature on the map.

It sucks if your favorite terrain feature/building didn't make the cut, but the above is the simple reality of the situation

a great update with 3 new planes, pilot physiology, and some other real cool things, yet there is people complaining about the lack of destroyed dams.

Hell, its true what they say about you cant never make everyone happy and pleased.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

One have to understand that what we get here is the best possible combat flight sim the budget allows. 

If we skip the combat it would make room for more detailed map. 

In a combat sim DM is of equal importance as FM and map. 

I had hoped for many things, but I have to say I got more than I payed for. 

Personally I would still be a customer if it was much more expensive. 

• Upvote 4

Okay - a war crime is an action banned under some treaty or agreement which considers the act to be a war crime. There are treaties which banned targetting civilian infrastructure or extensive collateral damage.

So, the question isn't 'is x a war crime?' but 'should x be a war crime?'... which is a bit too controversial a topic I think. Someone needs to lock this quickly.

34 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Someone needs to lock this quickly.

My God!  What could happen?:o:

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Okay - a war crime is an action banned under some treaty or agreement which considers the act to be a war crime. There are treaties which banned targetting civilian infrastructure or extensive collateral damage.

So, the question isn't 'is x a war crime?' but 'should x be a war crime?'... which is a bit too controversial a topic I think. Someone needs to lock this quickly.

what? they already stopped talking about it, why you bring it back then?

• Upvote 5

As specific object and impact upon the wider terrain, I suspect that the team understandably decided against.

The Ludendorff bridge looks amazing. Maybe Arnhem will come with time?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

As specific object and impact upon the wider terrain, I suspect that the team understandably decided against.

xcx.jpg

Up or down?

The next jet in the game should be the Arado 234

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

How can you claim that as a war crime. It supposed to paralyze production plants and is a very legit target in war.

Losses of Civilian life is this time a side  effect and not directly targeted for once. Besides that 

consideration was thrown overboard when Luftwaffe targeted London. 

Dont misuse the word warcrime 

Considering what the RAF did in Op. GOMORRAH, the fire bombing of Hamburg (42k killed 70k wounded), Dresden (25k killed) and Op. MEETINGHOUSE, Tokyo (100k killed) it is odd that Op. CHASTISE is considered a war crime, when a small force of bombers sought to bomb dams, not workers asleep in their beds or cowering in air raid shelters

I think the map is fine for now. Like many other features of the game, it's still subject to changes, it's it not? 

11 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

I am pretty sure they are aware and try to integrate some more landmarks. Having nearly half of middle-europe of 1944 fame on a map is no small feat. I am absolutely delighted with what they have achieved so far with their limited ressources. British Rhine crossing area at the towns of Rees and Xanten is still lacking also.

4 hours ago, Reggie_Mental said:

Up or down?

The next jet in the game should be the Arado 234

Yes! Definitively. KG76 flew from Achmer in 1945, so the airfield is there.

2 hours ago, sevenless said:

I am pretty sure they are aware and try to integrate some more landmarks.

I suspect so. They have already done an amazing job and the map is not finished.

I don’t think Yugra Media will be going back very much to do any embellishments or corrections after their contract has been completed.  They will just move on to the next job.  Implementing free changes in response to customer feedback is not likely to be a part of their job description.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I don’t think Yugra Media will be going back very much to do any embellishments or corrections after their contract has been completed.  They will just move on to the next job.  Implementing free changes in response to customer feedback is not likely to be a part of their job description.  

Possibly, but the other seasons are still WiP. Might be that some tweaks are in the pipeline.

I hope there are indeed a few tweaks, considering some of the stuff I've noticed

16 hours ago, Reggie_Mental said:

Considering what the RAF did in Op. GOMORRAH, the fire bombing of Hamburg (42k killed 70k wounded), Dresden (25k killed) and Op. MEETINGHOUSE, Tokyo (100k killed) it is odd that Op. CHASTISE is considered a war crime, when a small force of bombers sought to bomb dams, not workers asleep in their beds or cowering in air raid shelters

I am well aware of Dresden and all the other stuff. But crippeling power supply is not considered a war crime. That is what I commented. What you mention have been discussed since they dropped the bombs. Even within RAF  

Countryside's rather barren, hope they add a few farms scattered about, difficult to even pick out a reference point for ground attack runs.  Narry a windmill in these Neitherlands.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Countryside's rather barren, hope they add a few farms scattered about, difficult to even pick out a reference point for ground attack runs.  Narry a windmill in these Neitherlands.

Agreed, what the maps need in general is more stuff.