I was updating statics - lots of new ones in the ME.  I came across an odd one right after static_tempestvs2 ... static_typhoon.  Maybe it's airfield decoration, or maybe it's something more :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I was updating statics - lots of new ones in the ME.  I came across an odd one right after static_tempestvs2 ... static_typhoon.  Maybe it's airfield decoration, or maybe it's something more :) 

I wouldn´t mind if we´ll get to see the Tiffy. Would be a great groundpounder.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Just a static object, don't read too much into it.

Repressing hope are we? :D

realiability,speed,not having to use oxygen all the time(well most of it)and things didnt fall off the Tempest as much as they did on the Tiffie ie the tail!!!!

14 minutes ago, No74_Cheese said:

realiability,speed,not having to use oxygen all the time(well most of it)and things didnt fall off the Tempest as much as they did on the Tiffie ie the tail!!!!

That, and the Typhoon carried rockets during the war, while the Tempest did not. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So are there new static plane models available with this patch?

I think the Typhoon would give an awesome surprise factor when they think they are engaging and Typhoon, low and behold it's a Tempest.

Just now, RedKestrel said:

So are there new static plane models available with this patch?

Quite a few - Typhoon and others.

I’ve mentioned that the static models can be increased in resolution a bit in the future. (future releases) They are lower res than required right now.

• Upvote 1

Yes:

- Different tail (some structural issues)

- Lower performance, thicker wing.

- 8xRP-3 or 12xRP-3 rockets for ground attack

- Hispano Mk.II cannons (lower rate of fire, higher muzzle velocity). Because the increase in velocity is something like 3%, the noticable difference is that basically you have 600rpm instead of 750 rpm. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as it makes it easier to conserve ammunition.

So, it would be quite different to use (a lot more ground attack, slightly more challenging to fight enemies with - if you like that sort of thing). It was very numerous in the theatre depicted and it would be deployed more in ground attack roles during the campaign... so it contributes a lot as an AI aircraft.

Anyway, quite glad that we'll at least be able to strafe it!

Edited by Avimimus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'd be overjoyed to have the Typhoon. It's been a very long time since I flew one... in-fact... it was Aces Over Europe. So I've been waiting :)

Not to say that I'm not completely in love with the Tempest either. I'm eternally grateful to the team for making it!

39 minutes ago, [ASOR]Pharoah said:

So the whole 'tail falling off in a dive' will be an addon for the Typhoon? ;)

Something I find very exciting as an idea.

Especially given that the RP-3 were often delivered in dives (with special dive fuses).

You see, my first flightsim was released in 1991... so I've had a lot of time to outgrow my initial fascination with always "having the best"... now I'm into challenges! The Typhoon barely reaches the threshold. Almost too high performance, too reliable for me. :) It'd also be nice to have the 'missing link' after the Hurricane collector plane is released... really see the evolution of design a Hawker and get to experience it!

The more british stuff the merrier. And yes the Typhoon really was the most prominent plane in 2TAF on the continent. If we don´t get a Normandy expansion with it included, I am pretty sure they release ist as a collector. It is too important to be left out.

On 10/2/2019 at 3:46 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

I'd be overjoyed to have the Typhoon. It's been a very long time since I flew one... in-fact... it was Aces Over Europe. So I've been waiting :)

Not to say that I'm not completely in love with the Tempest either. I'm eternally grateful to the team for making it!

I feel the same, I would love to see the typhoon as a collector plane.

S!

Typhoon would be nice to have. Sure it lacks in performance against Tempest, but carried a bigger weapon load.

On 10/2/2019 at 2:02 AM, [ASOR]Pharoah said:

This was fixed by mid 1944.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of systems modeling (like engine, avionic equipment) could be re-used from Tempest in the Typhoon.

On 10/1/2019 at 10:02 PM, [ASOR]Pharoah said:

The tail falling off was solved with the fish plates and the Tempest tailplanes.

On 10/1/2019 at 1:44 PM, Retrofly said:

To a lay man, what are the main difference between the Tempest and Typhoon?

yRqIUrN.jpgmvUGudt.jpg

3tzCCZf.jpg9WEDnMR.jpg

Long story short, the Tempest has a longer fuselage, a refaired vertical stab, a larger area rudder and a new thinner elliptical wing.

Some trivia.

The following are the dates Typhoons were lost to 'known structural failure:

11-8-42

18-8-42

24-10-42

13-1-43

17-1-43

28-1-43

4-2-43

28-3-43

3-5-43

4-5-43

18-5-43

15-7-43

6-9-43

I didn't see any other s/f losses till the end of 1943.

From the time of the 1st Typhoon loss1-11-41 from CO poisoning to the end of 1943, there was 71 lost to e/f (engine fire). That is 5.46 times as many as s/f.

Edited by MiloMorai
  • Upvote 2

Hawker Typhoon was apparently a very dangerous beast to tame, I think that would be a big part of its attractiveness in the sim. It was probably best described by P. Clostermann in the Big Show, chapter Typhoon.

• Upvote 1

Here is the static one already in the game:

OF2E6Ry.jpg

17 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

The Typhoon is just a Hurricane that ate past midnight...

Not wrong...

ec26d62dffad86d24a0b4c7f2bfebd9a.jpg

Although that's the Tornado. The Typhoon's unborn twin.

10 hours ago, Jabo_68* said:

It's my cup of tea.  You only get an 'oo' with Typhoon.

PG Tips, myself 🤫🐒

I wonder if the Typhoon got scarified because of the tempest. A balance thing. 
my guess is it will come as a collector plane together with a obscure JU 87 night attack version. There was a variety of powerful JU 87 armament

13 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

Some trivia.

The following are Typhoons lost to 'known structural failure:

That's a miniscule amount compared to the thousands of Typhoons built. Why does every thread about the Tiffy have people implying that they just wouldn't stop falling apart?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

my guess is it will come as a collector plane together with a obscure JU 87 night attack version. There was a variety of powerful JU 87 armament

Could be. But when you see the 8 variants of 109's and the 4 of 190's it makes you wonder what balance is trying to be achieved.

I love the Tempest, and can use it as a Typhoon stand in for now. But it feels wrong.

20 minutes ago, Megalax said:

But it feels wrong.

My exact feeling as well

Typhoon has a very historical importance for this place and time. But it need air supremacy. 
That is why I think they ditched it

8 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Hawker Typhoon was apparently a very dangerous beast to tame, I think that would be a big part of its attractiveness in the sim. It was probably best described by P. Clostermann in the Big Show, chapter Typhoon.

It really was not. The early 190As had an initial ‘reputation’, there were a few issues with the 109Fs, most WW1 aircraft were labelled as ‘pilot killers’ for a while etc (usually a mixture of initial defects plus pilot superstition) but the Typhoon - while trickier to fly than a Spitfire - is wholly undeserving of this reputation.

Clostermann is a very poor source of factual information on this, as with most subjects. Romance and drama trumps facts in all his tails.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

It really was not. The early 190As had an initial ‘reputation’

The A-0 and A-1 did have fairly abysmal overheating problems, it was only with the A-2 that it was a war-ready design

8 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I recall from at least one dev interview that they did end up needing to choose between the Tempest and the Typhoon for The second British aircraft, and decided on the Tempest for this expansion because this was the only time they were going to be able to do the Tempest, while the Typhoon showed up in enough other theaters that they feel they'll be able to get it in later. 

• Thanks 2